ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying British passport

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ManishC123
Newly Registered
India

Applying British passport

Post by ManishC123 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:00 pm

I have few question regarding applying British passport.
I am applying for British passport in next year as I have lived in the UK on ILR for past 1 month. I have a 2 dependent children and a spouse. My situation is as follows:
  • One child was born outside UK has lived in the UK as a dependent child since my stay in the UK. The child has finished 5 years of stay in the UK. The child (currently 8 years old) does not have a ILR, but has a dependent child visa. My question is, do I need to apply ILR for this child exclusively and then apply for British passport or can I directly add this child to my application of British passport (without applying for ILR)?
  • Second child was born in the UK. The child has is 3+ years. I guess I can directly apply for British passport of this child. Is it correct understanding?
  • I guess, I will first need to apply for ILR for my spouse (as she is also on PBS dependent visa since 5 years). My question is, does my spouse need to finish 1 year of stay after ILR and then apply for British passport or can she apply for British passport along with me (despite she has lived in the UK on ILR for few months?)
Kindly suggest.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Applying British passport

Post by zimba » Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 pm

You seem to misunderstand a lot of things. You cannot apply for a British passport unless you are a British citizen. You need to apply to naturalise as a British citizen using the form AN. You become a citizen after being approved and ONLY after attending your British citizenship ceremony. It is only then that you can apply for a passport. There are several requirements to satisfy before you can apply.

Read: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... on-form-an

Only children born in the UK can apply to be registered as British citizens when one parent settles (children do NOT naturalise). Non-UK born children have no entitlement to British citizenship and they can apply only via discretion when one parent is British and the other is at least settled. Such child needs ILR
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying British passport

Post by CR001 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:19 pm

One child was born outside UK has lived in the UK as a dependent child since my stay in the UK. The child has finished 5 years of stay in the UK. The child (currently 8 years old) does not have a ILR, but has a dependent child visa. My question is, do I need to apply ILR for this child exclusively and then apply for British passport or can I directly add this child to my application of British passport (without applying for ILR)?
The child needs ILR before they can apply for citizenship.
Second child was born in the UK. The child has is 3+ years. I guess I can directly apply for British passport of this child. Is it correct understanding?
It depends on when you got ILR. If she was born before you got ILR, then you have to register her as British on form MN1 costing just over £1000 before you can apply for a passport. If she was born AFTER you got ILR, then she is British automatically.
I guess, I will first need to apply for ILR for my spouse (as she is also on PBS dependent visa since 5 years). My question is, does my spouse need to finish 1 year of stay after ILR and then apply for British passport or can she apply for British passport along with me (despite she has lived in the UK on ILR for few months?)
You need to apply for ILR for your spouse and born abroad child, plan accordingly. Your spouse needs to wait 12 month if you are NOT British. As soon as you become British, she can apply as spouse of BC. She cannot apply for citizenship at the same time as you if she has not held ILR for 12 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.