ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

OCI for Minor born in India

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asdelhi_2022
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

OCI for Minor born in India

Post by asdelhi_2022 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:02 pm

Hello There - This is my first post - I have been reading the forums for a quite a while now.

My question is that my Son was born 1 month ago in India. We are planning to reside in India for Long term. We are in the process of applying for his British Passport (Mother - British Passport holder, Father - Indian passport holder).

My question is, once we receive his British Passport,

1. How do we apply for his OCI, since we are living in India?
2. Between receiving his OCI, how do we ensure his legal status in India --> Do we apply for his Indian visa? If yes, which one and how?

Thanks,

ps1234

Re: OCI for Minor born in India

Post by ps1234 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:38 pm

1. First need to get your child the Indian visa. this is to be done by applying to the local FRRO office.

2. Then apply for OCI from India - on the same OCI registration website. Just select Place of submission as India and then the local FRRO office.

dontringthebell
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: OCI for Minor born in India

Post by dontringthebell » Fri May 27, 2022 9:24 pm

asdelhi_2022 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:02 pm
Hello There - This is my first post - I have been reading the forums for a quite a while now.

My question is that my Son was born 1 month ago in India. We are planning to reside in India for Long term. We are in the process of applying for his British Passport (Mother - British Passport holder, Father - Indian passport holder).

My question is, once we receive his British Passport,

1. How do we apply for his OCI, since we are living in India?
2. Between receiving his OCI, how do we ensure his legal status in India --> Do we apply for his Indian visa? If yes, which one and how?

Thanks,
Though you have got answers to your questions, since you state you plan to be in india long term, you could also consider RoA -- thereby allowing child to hold both indian and british passports until they turn 18.

This could help you save on school fees and other experiences as child grows up.

https://blogs.servease.io/2020/07/06/du ... nship-act/

other-countries/dual-indian-british-cit ... A#p2025733

You must weigh your options based on further research.
Don't misconstrue my views for professional immigration advice, just trying to give back to a community that helped me through my journey.

WP-> HSMP-> Tier 2G D-> ILR-> BC-> OCI