ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British citizen staying in NL

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kumar1038
Cameroon

British citizen staying in NL

Post by Kumar1038 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:38 pm

Hi all, I am a naturalized British citizen. I am living and working in Netherlands from last 3 years. I never visited UK in these 3 years. And also I am not contributing anything towards National Insurance(NI) as don't live and work in UK.
Given the above circumstance will i lose British citizenship..?What are the things i need to check to keep my citizenship intact.? Please advice. TIA

Ronnix
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: British citizen staying in NL

Post by Ronnix » Sat May 28, 2022 8:47 pm

The home secretary can strip someone of their citizenship for a number of reasons:
- It is "for the public good" and would not make them stateless
- The person obtained citizenship through fraud
- That person's actions could harm UK interests and they could claim citizenship elsewhere

You wont be losing the citizenship just by being out of the country for X number of years. :)

Kumar1038
Cameroon

Post by Kumar1038 » Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 pm

Thank you Ronnix for your reply. The only reason I raised this question is because I am not contributing anything towards NI.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:28 pm

Kumar1038 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:04 pm
Thank you Ronnix for your reply. The only reason I raised this question is because I am not contributing anything towards NI.
Nothing to do with citizenship - native Brits don't loose their citizenship even if they have been unemployed for years ... citizenship is not like a visa or immigration status that lapses eventually.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.