ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IDV App - who is eligible?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Simplyhuman

IDV App - who is eligible?

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:50 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was unable to find any info related to this, so posting this.

What is the eligibility criteria for getting the option of using the IDV App instead of having to book a UKVCAS appointment?

My wife has had ILR since 2014 and just didn’t get around to apply for the citizenship so far. Now that we applied a week or so ago, we got the email yesterday advising that she is not eligible to use the IDV App and needs to book an in person UKVCAS appointment.

As part of her in person UKVI ILR application back in 2014, she had provided the ID and biometrics etc. at the UKVI office in Sheffield! So not sure why being asked to book an appointment and not able to use the app now, as part of her citizenship application.

Obviously the hassle with booking an UKVCAS appointment is the cost element + the wait time for 4 week or so!

Thanks in advance for any information and signposting, as not sure if we can contact someone in this regard and/or question this?

Best Regards

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Re: IDV App - who is eligible?

Post by mesn » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:55 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:50 pm
Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I was unable to find any info related to this, so posting this.

What is the eligibility criteria for getting the option of using the IDV App instead of having to book a UKVCAS appointment?

My wife has had ILR since 2014 and just didn’t get around to apply for the citizenship so far. Now that we applied a week or so ago, we got the email yesterday advising that she is not eligible to use the IDV App and needs to book an in person UKVCAS appointment.

As part of her in person UKVI ILR application back in 2014, she had provided the ID and biometrics etc. at the UKVI office in Sheffield! So not sure why being asked to book an appointment and not able to use the app now, as part of her citizenship application.

Obviously the hassle with booking an UKVCAS appointment is the cost element + the wait time for 4 week or so!

Thanks in advance for any information and signposting, as not sure if we can contact someone in this regard and/or question this?

Best Regards
Think it has to do with the recency. The last 2-3yrs old Bio can be reused.
T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:55 pm

IDV is available to those who have had a application with UKVI and enrolled biometrics within the last 2 to 3 years. This is because people age and their appearance changes.

2014 is unfortunately too far back and she will need to attend an appointment.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm

Thank you, both!

Didn’t think the recency would be the reason, but If that’s what it is then I guess it makes sense, albeit still a hassle!

Don’t think anyone has ever been able to ‘not age’ !!!

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:07 pm

Also, it is a bit disappointing that one cannot use the approx. £20 ID and biometrics service provided by the post office in a scenario such as this, instead of an expensive UKVCAS appointment for the same purpose!

If there’s a legit reason for that then it’s well and good but if none, then a bit of a shame like many other things in life I guess!

chriskv1
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by chriskv1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:41 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:07 pm
Also, it is a bit disappointing that one cannot use the approx. £20 ID and biometrics service provided by the post office in a scenario such as this, instead of an expensive UKVCAS appointment for the same purpose!

If there’s a legit reason for that then it’s well and good but if none, then a bit of a shame like many other things in life I guess!
There are free appointments available.
Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding.
Mahatma Gandhi

E&OE. I'm not a legal professional.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:11 pm

Thanks.

Those free appointments have a waiting time for nearly 4 weeks which is easily avoidable “IF” the same thing/service can be achieved by the ID Check service by the post office!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:42 pm

Simplyhuman wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:11 pm
Thanks.

Those free appointments have a waiting time for nearly 4 weeks which is easily avoidable “IF” the same thing/service can be achieved by the ID Check service by the post office!
The Post Office lost the contract for nationality biometrics to UKVCAS.....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Simplyhuman

Post by Simplyhuman » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:57 pm

Yea - kind of figured that!

Don’t think many are surprised when the same £20 appt. by post office can be £132 by UKVCAS!

Some of us can pay/afford that but it’s obviously not fair for some I guess! At the same time, that’s the kind of world we live in and systems we deal with!

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:42 pm
Yet, the annoying thing is, they keep charging a biometrics flat rate of £19.50 (that was the Post Office rate) on top of the £1350 when you pay the application submission online! No way of getting rid of it, you have to pay it. Why? I suppose the explanation is that goes to fund the "free" appointments... which are not free after all.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:10 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:26 pm
alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:42 pm
Yet, the annoying thing is, they keep charging a biometrics flat rate of £19.50 (that was the Post Office rate) on top of the £1350 when you pay the application submission online! No way of getting rid of it, you have to pay it. Why? I suppose the explanation is that goes to fund the "free" appointments... which are not free after all.
Yes, the flat rate is the Home Office's charge and is £19.20 per their fee schedule, but not payable for nationality? It's the UKVCAS fee if you can't find a free appointment, starting at £60 .....

"Biometric enrolment and / or re-use of recorded biometric information (the £19.20 fee is not payable for applications for indefinite leave or limited to remain or nationality) £19.20"
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:51 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:10 pm
Yes, the flat rate is the Home Office's charge and is £19.20 per their fee schedule, but not payable for nationality?
Payable for naturalisation, yes. Very much yes.

Hehe, I noticed you completely missed the point when I complained about this in this post.

Let me make it clear: At the end of the naturalisation process they add £19.20 on top of the £1350 you are already paying. At no point they ask you how you want to do biometrics, or wether you'd like to pay for that upfront, this is just added without any action from your part, and there is no box to untick to make this £19.50 go away.

What I am saying is yes, in 2022 you do pay £19.50 biometrics at the end of your naturalisation application. Yes, yes, yes, and yes.
It's the UKVCAS fee if you can't find a free appointment, starting at £60 .....
Noooope.
When was the last time you made a naturalisation application? Lol.
"Biometric enrolment and / or re-use of recorded biometric information (the £19.20 fee is not payable for applications for indefinite leave or limited to remain or nationality) £19.20"
False.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 pm

kamoe wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:51 pm

It's the UKVCAS fee if you can't find a free appointment, starting at £60 .....

Noooope.
When was the last time you made a naturalisation application? Lol.
In 2016, with the old council run JCAP service, I actually had two appointments @£60 each (plus the biometrics fee of course), no free appointments then, but a much better service.
False.
My bad, that item probably refers to using the IDV app (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... april-2022).

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:47 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 pm
My bad, that item probably refers to using the IDV app (https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... april-2022).
Well if it does, it is also misleading as hell. As I said, the £19.50 fee is payable upfront, together with your actual naturalisation fee, the moment you pay and submit the naturalisation application. That's before you or they know if you'll be using the IDV app.

Thanks for your input.

hollygoblighty1
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by hollygoblighty1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:19 am

I just applied for citizenship on August 18th. I received my ILR a year ago on August 17, 2021. I had my biometrics for ILR done in May 2021. Prior to that I had my biometrics done when I renewed my visa in 2018.

Today I received an email stating: "UKVI have confirmed to UKVCAS that you are not able to use the IDV app to progress your application. This means you must book a UKVCAS appointment."

So if this has nothing to do with how recently I had my biometrics done, what is it? Why would I not be eligible?

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:21 am

hollygoblighty1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:19 am
So if this has nothing to do with how recently I had my biometrics done, what is it? Why would I not be eligible?
Answers in this forum come from first-hand experience. They aren't official inside knowledge from the Home Office. Therefore, questions like this can only get well-intentioned speculative answers, just so you know.

hollygoblighty1
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by hollygoblighty1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:53 pm

Yes of course I know that. I was looking for any suggestions other than how recent your biometrics were submitted. I was on the 10-year ILR route so the HO has taken my biometrics 5 times in the last 11 years (each time I had to renew my visa).

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:44 pm

hollygoblighty1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:53 pm
Yes of course I know that. I was looking for any suggestions other than how recent your biometrics were submitted. I was on the 10-year ILR route so the HO has taken my biometrics 5 times in the last 11 years (each time I had to renew my visa).
My point is, why do you even want suggestions that aren't official? It won't make any difference. You'll have to book an appointment, no matter how many different answers you get here.

If you absolutely want a finger-in-the-air answer, my wild guesses (that I completely made up a second ago), would be:

1. It is just random. They ideally want everyone to do biometrics, but due to covid/staff shortages they can't. Therefore, they need to find acceptable cases at random. You were not part of the lucky ones.

2. Maybe last year acceptable cases where everyone who had done biometrics within the last year, and now that covid conditions have eased (whatever your interpretation of that is) maybe acceptable cases are everyone who had biometrics within the last six months. You only did biometrics a year ago, not within the last six months.

3. Your latest picture looks nothing like your previous picture. They just want assurance that your appearance has not substantially changed again.

Others can continue to speculate, but I wouldn't dwell on in. Just book your appointment and get on with it.

Waeel87
Newly Registered
Mood:
Syria

Post by Waeel87 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:33 am

CR001 wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:55 pm
IDV is available to those who have had a application with UKVI and enrolled biometrics within the last 2 to 3 years. This is because people age and their appearance changes.

2014 is unfortunately too far back and she will need to attend an appointment.
not the case on mine

I only had fingerprint in post office 2017 nothing after

and i still used idv app

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:30 pm

hollygoblighty1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:19 am
I just applied for citizenship on August 18th. I received my ILR a year ago on August 17, 2021. I had my biometrics for ILR done in May 2021. Prior to that I had my biometrics done when I renewed my visa in 2018.

Today I received an email stating: "UKVI have confirmed to UKVCAS that you are not able to use the IDV app to progress your application. This means you must book a UKVCAS appointment."

So if this has nothing to do with how recently I had my biometrics done, what is it? Why would I not be

Go ahead and book yourself an appointment.

immg83
Mood:
India

Post by immg83 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:06 am

Hi,

In my case i also received an email that i can't use the IDV app and has to go for UKVCAS appointment. I did my last biomatric in Jun 2021 as part of ILR and hence not very old but still told to go back to UKVCAS instead of using the IDV App. I think it's randomly selected for IDV app say 30% via IDV app per day of application submitted and rest via UKVCAS (i am totally guessing here :) ). Anyways.. I booked the free appointment available in nearby UKVCAS center (avaibale after 3 week but i can wait.. i am not in hurry to get naturalization done). So not complaining much :D .