ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why are we called for passport interviews ...

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alterhase58
Germany

Why are we called for passport interviews ...

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:16 pm

... you might ask ... many applicants are surprised about this, after having been through the naturalisation mill.
This might explain:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6370627.stm
Note IPS referred to in the article is now HMPO.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

vinny

Re: Why are we called for passport interviews ...

Post by vinny » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:53 pm

I’m getting an error message:
The error was “Load cannot follow more than 20 redirections”
Try.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:14 pm

It is worth noting that the passport interviews were called for all first adult British passport applications, including for those born British citizens and those who had already held British passports as children/minors.

Because even those born British citizens are called for these interviews, you will find this as a fairly common topic on forums oriented towards students, when one is likely to be applying for their first adult British passport, such as TheStudentRoom. Searching "TheStudentRoom passport interview" and similar terms in a search engine will give you a broader idea about these interviews.

When I naturalised, it was a compulsory interview for all first adult British passport applicants and I was lucky that I was able to arrange an interview with a passport office just down the road from my workplace.

Nowadays, it is a random selection from such applicants. But again, worth remembering that all first adult British passport applicants, including those born British citizens, can be called for such interviews.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

rv2010
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by rv2010 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 5:11 pm

There's also these guidance notes for HMPO staff to help them decide who should or should not attend an interview:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... le-version

Of particular interest is this part (which probably applies to many people on these boards):
"If we have enough information from identity checks, we will not interview an adult customer applying for their first British passport when they ... were naturalised within the last 12 months and UK Visa and Immigration service’s records confirm the customer’s photo identity and personal details".