ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I qualify for British Citizenship?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

stitaprajna

Do I qualify for British Citizenship?

Post by stitaprajna » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:35 pm

I came to UK as a dependent of my wife. She then got British Passport. After 5 years of dependent visa, I got BRP(ILR) in 2019. My family moved back to home country in 2019 and I carried on in UK. But, when I was on a visit to home country, I got stuck in Covid lockdown for 2 years from 2020 to 2022. I got back to UK in Feb 2022.

Initially I did not think about applying for British Passport. But, now I want to explore this option.
Please could the experts here guide me if I am eligible or what I need to do to become eligible in near future?
I did google a bit but it was bit overwhelming so thought of asking here and then read more based on the suggestions here.

Thanks.
Stit
Many Thanks,
Stit

Brazos
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Do I qualify for British Citizenship?

Post by Brazos » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:27 am

You need three years of continuous residence for British citizenship, during which you cannot be out of the UK for 270 days or 90 days each year, especially the last year. Also be physically present in the UK exactly three years from the date of application. Since you were out of the UK for 2 years so it's too long an absence for use of discretion by UKVI to condone excess absences. In your case you will have to wait up till Feb 2025.

Brazos
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Do I qualify for British Citizenship?

Post by Brazos » Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:35 am

Also you will need to prove your knowledge of English, show you’ve passed the life in the UK test and be of good character. Read the naturalisation guidance https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse