ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Lost Passport with ILR in another EU country!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sywahu

Lost Passport with ILR in another EU country!

Post by sywahu » Fri May 20, 2005 12:22 pm

My friend told me about an interesting case where someone was stuck in Germany for 4 months because he had lost his passport with ILR while on company visit!

I got a bit worried about that since I usually have to go to Ireland now and then with my ILR passport.

Does anyone know what I could do say if the passport gets lost or something while I am there. Should I take some docs with me just in case.

Perhaps I am being overly cautious about this but got to prepared!

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm

In these days of hitech technology, losing your passport should not be a major problem whether it has ILR or whether it hasnt.

If that happened - then you would go to your embassy/highcommision and get a new ppt and then go to BHC or BDP and get a new visa :roll:
Where there is a will there is a way.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri May 20, 2005 2:36 pm

I agree with Chess and would add ..... take a photocopy of the passport, the name and pic page, and any valid visa. Take that photocopy with you when you travel, but keep it separate from the passport.

Then, worse case, the passport gets lost or stolen, you have photographic proof of the passport and visa held, which should ease the obtaining of the needed replacements.
John

resider
Newly Registered

Post by resider » Fri May 20, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi sywahu,

That is a dreadful scenario. Specially when you are stranded in another country!

I recommend the same thing, take photocopies. Better still, put scanned ones on the internet!

Jeff Albright

Post by Jeff Albright » Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

I think we are making a mountain out of a mole.
I have heard from someone who has lost his passport with ILR, got a new passport and arrived to the UK port. He did not have any stamps there at all, but the immigration control officers just checked his name against their records and whacked a new ILR stamp in his new passport. The whole process took just a few minutes.
Your status can be checked across the databases in no time and there is no need to worry at all.

resider
Newly Registered

Post by resider » Fri May 20, 2005 7:46 pm

That maybe so Jeff but don't they actually have to check the non-EU passport in the country and then give the boarding card? Surely they would require the person to have the UK visa in the first place before getting on a plan and returning to UK as ILR holder.

True they would have the records in the system but still, one would need some docs.

I think you still have to get a new passport, get new visa from that EU country and then travel to UK. This process can take time depending on the country's embassy.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Fri May 27, 2005 10:17 pm

Well they don't even have immigration on returning from Ireland!! I asked around several times before exiting the airport and was surprised that there wasn't any!

I have got ILR but surely they need something like this to check how long a person has been away for.

Strange...