ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lagosbos
European Union

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by Lagosbos » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:56 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Sorry i meant after 4 years. I submitted a paper application. Can't see anything online relating to this. Thank you
https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status

apollo_alpha
United Kingdom

Post by apollo_alpha » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:37 am
Hi everyone

Good afternoon.
Please kindly advice.
I renewed my 10 year parent route last year July 2021. I then made an application for EUSS in March and I have been sent COA which says entitled to benefit. Now this morning I get an email that I have been granted 5 year leave which I never applied for 5 years and no recourse to public funds. My child is British and eventhough I never claimed benefit I just got the child benefit( just did not need ). Is this not an error. Cause I don't understand.

Thank you
I am really surprised they granted you 5years limited leave. The max they grant is 2.5years for limited leave. I know the pre-settled status is 5years. So please can you check whether the 5years you were granted is for the parent route or if it is pre-settled status?

Lagosbos
European Union

Post by Lagosbos » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 pm

KRES wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:33 pm
Lagosbos wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:18 am
That was the response i received following my email to their Director. For the highlighted reason no one understands what angle they will be taking in the forthcoming changes in Appendix EU. They are also refusing few people where the other parent (carer) has a settled status in light of the Velaj case which is due to be heard at the appeal court sometime in June, but that is arguable in court as its not in accordance with Paragraph 16 (8&9) of the EEA reg nor appendix EU. We are waiting to see what happens on the 25th April.

For those who might have been refused based on the afore mentioned reason you need include the following in your argument. The words “both primary carers” have been added to reg 16 (5) to reflect the effect of reg 16 (9) and the words in italics in (8) (b)(ii) were deleted by operation of the Immigration (EEA) (amendment) Regulations 2018 SI2018/801. Prior to that amendment, the appellant would not have been entitled to a derivative right of residence as his wife is an exempt person.
13. The explanatory memorandum to SI 2018/801 provides:
Paragraph 10 of the Schedule to these Regulations amends the 2016 Regulations so as to give effect to the judgment of the CJEU in the case of C—133/15 Chavez-Vilchez and others. It does so by amending regulation 16(8)(b) of the 2016 Regulations to allow a person to be recognised as a "primary carer" if they are the sole carer or if they share equally the care with another person, regardless of whether that person is an "exempt person" within the meaning of regulation 16(7)(c).

Hello Lagosbos,

Hope you are well. I am in the process of applying for Zambrano EU Settlement Scheme. I had FLR fp but has expired in 2020. I've submitted PSS application but was denied. I am married to British guy and we have a British child. He works full time and I am a full time mom.

I have done some research about the potential issue of my application as a Zambrano carer as I am sharing responsibility with my husband.

Do you think Regulations 16(5) would help strengthen my application? Can you help me understand this regulation? My apology but my comprehension on laws and regulations is really limited.

Thank you in advance.
There is no part of Zambrano principle that exempts someone sharing care responsibility for EU/British Citizen with another person. HO will always want to play different games, but its down to you fight it out in court. I have similar case in court waiting to be heard later this month and I will be posting the outcome on here. All the best!

apollo_alpha
United Kingdom

Post by apollo_alpha » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:06 pm

Lagosbos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:03 pm
KRES wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:
That was the response i received following my email to their Director. For the highlighted reason no one understands what angle they will be taking in the forthcoming changes in Appendix EU. They are also refusing few people where the other parent (carer) has a settled status in light of the Velaj case which is due to be heard at the appeal court sometime in June, but that is arguable in court as its not in accordance with Paragraph 16 (8&9) of the EEA reg nor appendix EU. We are waiting to see what happens on the 25th April.

For those who might have been refused based on the afore mentioned reason you need include the following in your argument. The words “both primary carers” have been added to reg 16 (5) to reflect the effect of reg 16 (9) and the words in italics in (8) (b)(ii) were deleted by operation of the Immigration (EEA) (amendment) Regulations 2018 SI2018/801. Prior to that amendment, the appellant would not have been entitled to a derivative right of residence as his wife is an exempt person.
Paragraph 10 of the Schedule to these Regulations amends the 2016 Regulations so as to give effect to the judgment of the CJEU in the case of C—133/15 Chavez-Vilchez and others. It does so by amending regulation 16(8)(b) of the 2016 Regulations to allow a person to be recognised as a "primary carer" if they are the sole carer or if they share equally the care with another person, regardless of whether that person is an "exempt person" within the meaning of regulation 16(7)(c).

Hello Lagosbos,

Hope you are well. I am in the process of applying for Zambrano EU Settlement Scheme. I had FLR fp but has expired in 2020. I've submitted PSS application but was denied. I am married to British guy and we have a British child. He works full time and I am a full time mom.

I have done some research about the potential issue of my application as a Zambrano carer as I am sharing responsibility with my husband.

Do you think Regulations 16(5) would help strengthen my application? Can you help me understand this regulation? My apology but my comprehension on laws and regulations is really limited.

Thank you in advance.
There is no part of Zambrano principle that exempts someone sharing care responsibility for EU/British Citizen with another person. HO will always want to play different games, but its down to you fight it out in court. I have similar case in court waiting to be heard later this month and I will be posting the outcome on here. All the best!
The court of appeal have promulgated the decision yesterday. The case of Velaj https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2022/767.html.
Last edited by apollo_alpha on Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 pm

Thank you everyone for the reply. So I was on 10 year parent route . I applied for extension under 10 parent route last year July. Then in March this year I applied for zambrano and got COA 2 weeks ago . Then today I got an email with attachment that I have been granted 5 year parent leave and that after 5 years under this route I can apply for indefinite. I never applied for 5 years. Also no recourse to public funds. Am surprised confused. .thank you

apollo_alpha
United Kingdom

Post by apollo_alpha » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:10 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 pm
Thank you everyone for the reply. So I was on 10 year parent route . I applied for extension under 10 parent route last year July. Then in March this year I applied for zambrano and got COA 2 weeks ago . Then today I got an email with attachment that I have been granted 5 year parent leave and that after 5 years under this route I can apply for indefinite. I never applied for 5 years. Also no recourse to public funds. Am surprised confused. .thank you
So just so we understand. Were you granted leave already on the 10-year parent route last year when you applied? If yes, when did they grant you the leave?

Lagosbos
European Union

Post by Lagosbos » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:11 pm

apollo_alpha wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:06 pm
Lagosbos wrote:
KRES wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:

Hello Lagosbos,

Thank you in advance.
The court of appeal have promulgated the decision yesterday. The case of Velaj https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2022/767.html.
Thanks Apollo Aplpha, I had an interest in this case (Velaj v SSHS) as I also have something similar waiting to be heard at the FTT.

Lagosbos
European Union

Post by Lagosbos » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:14 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:08 pm
Makes sense, You must have been granted leave to remain on the 5 year route which has reset your clock for Indefinite. It must have been granted as result of meeting the relevant requirement under the rules i.e English Language and adequate accommodation requirement. Technically you will still have to extend one more time before applying for ILR.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:15 pm

Yes. I was granted leave under 10 year route 2019 so I applied for extension last year. And today they said I have been granted 5 year parent leave. Which I did not apply. I also have COA for zambrano. I dont understand really

Lagosbos
European Union

Post by Lagosbos » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:42 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:15 pm
Yes. I was granted leave under 10 year route 2019 so I applied for extension last year. And today they said I have been granted 5 year parent leave. Which I did not apply. I also have COA for zambrano. I dont understand really
You don't get to choose what route you are granted for applications for LTR it is at the discretion of the caseworker to decide what you are granted based on how you meet the relevant rules.

Modesire
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Modesire » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:57 pm

Good afternoon All

Please advise

I was refused Zambrano application 2020 cuz I just 2.5 years LTR so I submitted another application close to the end my LTR which is 29/04/22 (My LTR end of the 10/5/22) so I did biometric on the 4/5/22 and got COA 9/5/22.

To my surprise I got this email from the caseworker today

You held, at 31 December 2020, leave to enter or remain in the UK under Family/Private Life until 10 May 2022.

The effect of paragraph (b) is that a person who held UK immigration leave (other than under Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules) could not meet the Appendix EU definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’.

However, in the case of R (Akinsanya) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2021] EWHC 1535 (Admin), the High Court ruled that paragraph (b), and the parts of the guidance – EU Settlement Scheme: person with a Zambrano right to reside – addressing that provision, were unlawful and ordered the Secretary of State for the Home Department (SSHD) to reconsider the relevant provisions of Appendix EU.

As a result of the High Court’s decision, the SSHD agreed, by way of a consent order dated 17 June 2021, that she will not determine applications made under Appendix EU on the basis that a person is or was a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, where their case is affected by the decision in Akinsanya, until after she has completed her reconsideration of Appendix EU.

Given that you held leave to remain in the UK until 10 May 2022, your application is directly affected by the decision in Akinsanya.

What do you advise I should do please

Modesire
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Modesire » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:58 pm

Good afternoon All

Please advise

I was refused Zambrano application 2020 cuz I just 2.5 years LTR so I submitted another application close to the end my LTR which is 29/04/22 (My LTR end of the 10/5/22) so I did biometric on the 4/5/22 and got COA 9/5/22.

You held, at 31 December 2020, leave to enter or remain in the UK under Family/Private Life until 10 May 2022.

The effect of paragraph (b) is that a person who held UK immigration leave (other than under Appendix EU to the Immigration Rules) could not meet the Appendix EU definition of a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’.

However, in the case of R (Akinsanya) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2021] EWHC 1535 (Admin), the High Court ruled that paragraph (b), and the parts of the guidance – EU Settlement Scheme: person with a Zambrano right to reside – addressing that provision, were unlawful and ordered the Secretary of State for the Home Department (SSHD) to reconsider the relevant provisions of Appendix EU.

As a result of the High Court’s decision, the SSHD agreed, by way of a consent order dated 17 June 2021, that she will not determine applications made under Appendix EU on the basis that a person is or was a ‘person with a Zambrano right to reside’, where their case is affected by the decision in Akinsanya, until after she has completed her reconsideration of Appendix EU.

Given that you held leave to remain in the UK until 10 May 2022, your application is directly affected by the decision in Akinsanya.

to be free
Venezuela

Post by to be free » Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:26 pm

Modesire wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:58 pm
Good afternoon All

Please advise

Nothing much. This is the email almost everyone received.

Just grab yourself a very comfortable chair and join the waiting club

warid6955321
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by warid6955321 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 pm

Court of Appeal confirms Zambrano applications must be based on facts, not assumptions
In the case of Velaj v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2022] EWCA Civ 767, the Court of Appeal has confirmed that Zambrano applications always require factual inquiries as to what would happen to the British dependant if their primary carer(s) indeed left the UK. In the case of joint primary carers, it must be shown — rather than assumed — that both carers would leave the country.

Background
The Upper Tribunal gave judgment on Mr Velaj’s appeal last year, and Iain’s post sets out the background, facts and law in detail, so I won’t repeat them here.

In summary, Mr Velaj was the joint primary carer of his British citizen children, together with his British citizen wife. His wife was clear that, if Mr Velaj were to leave the UK, she would stay behind with the children. Mr Velaj tried to argue that this shouldn’t matter: a literal interpretation of the EEA Regulations 2016 required the Home Office to assume that both he and his wife would leave the UK, rather than investigate whether that would be the reality. That would allow him to remain in the UK as a Zambrano carer.

The Court of Appeal disagreed. In the words of Lady Justice Andrews:

The focus is on whether the British Citizen dependant would be “unable” to remain in the UK “if” something happens – i.e. on what will happen to the child if the primary carer leaves (or both primary carers leave). In that context the word “if” requires the decision maker to consider the position of the child on the basis that something is (actually) going to happen. It does not require that premise to be purely hypothetical, let alone counterfactual. Given that the person asking themselves the question has to decide what in practice would happen to the child if that event occurred, it would make little sense to require them to make an assumption that the event will happen if it plainly will not…

“If the person left the UK for an indefinite period” could either mean “in the event that the person [in fact] left the UK for an indefinite period” or “on the hypothesis that the person will leave the UK for an indefinite period or “on the hypothesis that the person will leave the UK for an indefinite period (regardless of whether in fact he would do so)”. The former seems to me to be the more natural interpretation, and carries with it the necessary implication that the postulated event (here, leaving the UK) is realistic, and not just theoretical. At the risk of stating the obvious, a purely hypothetical event could have no impact, in practice, on the ability of the child or other British Citizen dependant to remain in the UK. [Paragraphs 47 and 48]

It therefore dismissed Mr Velaj’s appeal.

What does this mean in practice?
Of course, the EEA Regulations no longer apply in the UK post-Brexit, so you might wonder why any of this is relevant. The answer is that some Zambrano carers, who met the EEA Regulations by 31 December 2020, might still be able to apply for permission to stay under the EU Settlement Scheme. The way those Regulations are interpreted still matters.

On that note: the Home Office is due to publish its review of the EUSS Zambrano rules imminently, following on from the decision in Akinsanya v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2022] EWCA Civ 37. As the review is due out by 13 June, people who haven’t submitted an application yet would probably be wise to wait for that before making a decision as to whether it is worthwhile Similarly, anyone who has a pending application might want to see that review before deciding whether they should submit further evidence or representations.

For joint carers more specifically, Velaj is not the end of the road. They might still be able to meet the definition of “Zambrano carer”, so long as they can show that both the applicant and their partner would indeed leave the UK, such that their dependant would also have to leave.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:31 am

The waiting . We hope for positive outcome.

annaoyin
Newly Registered
Mood:
Nigeria

Post by annaoyin » Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:11 pm

Lagosbos wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:56 pm
Kmt2014 wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm
Sorry i meant after 4 years. I submitted a paper application. Can't see anything online relating to this. Thank you
https://www.gov.uk/view-prove-immigration-status
Congratulations dear, you can send your code for proof your status on a platform here. Rather just highlight email sent to you without your personal details so you can be advice accordingly.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:13 pm

Thank you. I have checked status and showing COA.

Shara111
United Kingdom

Post by Shara111 » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:59 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:13 pm
Thank you. I have checked status and showing COA.
That's much relief 😌 I would take it with both hands even they extend my visa only.
Cheers

KRES
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by KRES » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:41 pm

apollo_alpha wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:
KRES wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:

Hello Lagosbos,

Thank you in advance.
Please do keep us posted of the outcome. Thanks for replying.

KRES
Newly Registered
Philippines

Post by KRES » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:42 pm

apollo_alpha wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:
KRES wrote:
Lagosbos wrote:

Hello Lagosbos,

Thank you in advance.
Please do keep us posted of the outcome. Thanks for replying.

omar1978

Post by omar1978 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:58 am

any updates? or they need more time?

Minaseer
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Minaseer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am

Any update on the HO guidance on zambrano tht r to be published by 13th…why r they leaving it to last minute

Eburnie27
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Eburnie27 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:09 am

We are all waiting for the updates. It is playing with people's emotional state
From 25th April to 16th May to 13th; that is a vicious game of hide and seek. If only they could allow those of us whose BRP are already expired to apply for extension.
Put us out of our misery already HO and SSHD

Eburnie27
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Eburnie27 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:11 am

Minaseer wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am
Any update on the HO guidance on zambrano tht r to be published by 13th…why r they leaving it to last minute
It is playing with our nerves...... it is sickening 😪

Eburnie27
Cote D-Ivoire

Post by Eburnie27 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:12 am

Minaseer wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:44 am
It is playing with our nerves...... it is sickening 😪