ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation application questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ShrutiBlue
India

Naturalisation application questions

Post by ShrutiBlue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:17 pm

Hi all,

My husband has just got the email from UKVI that his ILR has been approved, so we thought we would start his naturalisation application online as the spouse of a British Citizen while we wait for the BRP. However, I have a few questions.

1. We have reached the referee details section of the application and so far there hasn't been a question about whether the applicant is applying through the 5-year route or through the 3-year route as the spouse of a British Citizen. Will this come later?

2. In fact they asked for previous 5 years of addresses but my husband has been living in the UK since Oct 2017 (Tier 2 Dependent visa was granted in May 2017 which is how he got ILR). Will this be a problem?

3. We have plans to visit Europe in September, but currently with his Indian passport my husband will need to apply for a Schengen Visa. What happens if he gets the Schengen Visa on the Indian passport but his naturalisation application gets approved before the trip? He might not get his British passport in time for the trip, can he still travel on the Indian passport with the Schengen visa and ILR?

I will really appreciate any responses, thank you in advance!

ShrutiBlue
India

Re: Naturalisation application questions

Post by ShrutiBlue » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:41 pm

Anyone?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation application questions

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:03 pm

ShrutiBlue wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:17 pm
Hi all,

My husband has just got the email from UKVI that his ILR has been approved, so we thought we would start his naturalisation application online as the spouse of a British Citizen while we wait for the BRP. However, I have a few questions.

1. We have reached the referee details section of the application and so far there hasn't been a question about whether the applicant is applying through the 5-year route or through the 3-year route as the spouse of a British Citizen. Will this come later? There is no option to select - you supply the documents as requested, for the three year residency requirement and spouse details. Caseworkers know the rules.

2. In fact they asked for previous 5 years of addresses but my husband has been living in the UK since Oct 2017 (Tier 2 Dependent visa was granted in May 2017 which is how he got ILR). Will this be a problem? No.

3. We have plans to visit Europe in September, but currently with his Indian passport my husband will need to apply for a Schengen Visa. What happens if he gets the Schengen Visa on the Indian passport but his naturalisation application gets approved before the trip? He might not get his British passport in time for the trip, can he still travel on the Indian passport with the Schengen visa and ILR? Other may comment on this - but you are only British once attended the ceremony - not from the issue of the approval advice. Until you are British travel as usual with foreign passport and BRP.

I will really appreciate any responses, thank you in advance!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.