ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General: Will I get Indefinite to Remain???

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fahad77

Tier 1 General: Will I get Indefinite to Remain???

Post by fahad77 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:41 am

If I get approval for immigration to UK in highly skilled category, will I get an ITR (equivalent to a green card in USA), If yes, how long will it take me to get UK citizenship then? If no, what exactly my status would be. Please reply. Thanks

MrBaboo

Re: Tier 1 General: Will I get Indefinite to Remain???

Post by MrBaboo » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:57 am

fahad77 wrote:If I get approval for immigration to UK in highly skilled category, will I get an ITR (equivalent to a green card in USA), If yes, how long will it take me to get UK citizenship then? If no, what exactly my status would be. Please reply. Thanks
The system looks set to change as of late next year and the details aren't fully clear yet. I'm not bothering with a description of the way things are as they most certainly won't apply to you in 5-8 years time.

What we think will happen in the citizenship reform is that there will be three stages - temporary residency for 5 years (for you that would be on the basis of your tier 1 visa - requiring you to renew it after year #3) then a further 1-3 years of probationary citizenship before you qualify for full citizenship or permanent residency (your choice although permanent residency will necessarily take 3 years whereas citizenship may take less).

Bear in mind there may be strict and overbearing limits on the length of time you can be out of the country and the length of time you can be between jobs. You will also probably have to keep meticulous records of your employment and travel and accept the fact that all of this is subject to change and the government could decide to move the goal posts in reaction to an emotive article or two in the tabloids.

8 years is a long slog with no guarantees that a change in government or a ministerial whim won't scupper your long term plans.