ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mapreader
Hong Kong

Company liquidation - how to input in application

Post by mapreader » Thu May 19, 2022 10:24 am

Dear all,

I got ILR in last year and plan to apply for citizenship.

I am filling in the online application, also checking the advice in this forum.

There is a question "Have you ever been declared bankrupt?". To me it is "No".

On the other hand, I was a director of a limited company and it had liquidation in last year, due to bad business under COVID economic situation.

From the guideline around Good Character, I understand this would be related to consideration of applicant's financial soundness. I think declaration may be required. But it appears there is no specific question about this (being a director of a company that had liquidation).

It is a bit strange - if I simply read the online application form, I might have overlooked the need to include the director/company history.

Therefore I would like to check:
1. Should I include this into the application? If yes, how? I am thinking perhaps as notes under the question "Do you have any other details that you would like to be considered regarding this applicant and their application to be registered as a British Citizen?"

2. I am thinking it may need to include some explanation to support the application (according to guideline - where the person was made bankrupt or their company went into liquidation through little or no fault of their own, the application will not normally be refused. For example, they may have simply been a victim of the poor business decisions of others or their business has been severely affected by an economic downturn.) Would it be ok just to have a cover letter with the brief information of the liquidation? Any other support document is advisable?

Thanks for your help and advice.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Re: Company liquidation - how to input in application

Post by mapreader » Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 am

Dear all,

Re the previous post, grateful for any advice.

In short, my query is about application input related to history being a director of a limited company going liquidation. The online application form seems not having question in this area, but the guideline around Good Character does mention this explicitly.

Best regards,

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am

Best to explain this in a separate note and load with your other documents.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Mon May 23, 2022 12:26 pm

Thanks alterhase58 for the reply.

I have got another question in my mind.

The ILR application and company liquidation happened on timelines close to each other (in last year ILR application applied in early Mar, granted in late Apr, company liquidation happened in Apr around same time when the ILR was granted).

I had ILR granted from a T1E visa, using that company to support the application. All the criteria were fulfilled at the time of application, where unfortunately the company needed to go liquidation after struggling with finance, due to COVID environment.

I am thinking in case anything I should note when presenting the information with the citizenship application. I may be overthinking, but just want to avoid any unnecessary doubts getting on the previous ILR application.

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:41 pm

Naturalisation is a separate application, not part of the immigration regulations, but under the nationality act with it's own requirements.
The only issue would be if you had obtained ILR fraudulently and therefore an application would fail and ILR may be void. But if you lay out the issue with all facts there probably is nothing to worry about if you have applied with all details being correct and truthful at the time of applying. It's not something that comes up here regularly, apart from CCJs and personal bankruptcy.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Wed May 25, 2022 9:46 am

Hi alterhase58, thanks again for your advice.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:20 pm

I am studying to prepare for the application. Just locate another thread in the forum talking about good character requirements, where there are different considerations for ILR and citizenship.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/single-justi ... l#p2043453

Previously when I read the Home Office Guide about good character requirement, I thought it applied to both ILR and citizenship. And then I was not sure if the company liquidation could have any issue to my previous ILR application.

After exploring into the discussion thread, I realize the guide is only for citizenship application. I think citizenship has a higher demand on fulfilling the good character, and Financial Soundness is probably more for citizenship rather than ILR.

Just compilation of my own understanding and hope it makes sense. Appreciate if any comments or different views from moderators.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 am

mapreader wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:20 pm
I am studying to prepare for the application. Just locate another thread in the forum talking about good character requirements, where there are different considerations for ILR and citizenship.

indefinite-leave-to-remain/single-justi ... l#p2043453

Previously when I read the Home Office Guide about good character requirement, I thought it applied to both ILR and citizenship. And then I was not sure if the company liquidation could have any issue to my previous ILR application.

After exploring into the discussion thread, I realize the guide is only for citizenship application. I think citizenship has a higher demand on fulfilling the good character correct , and Financial Soundness is probably more for citizenship rather than ILR.

Just compilation of my own understanding and hope it makes sense. Appreciate if any comments or different views from moderators.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:20 am

Thanks AmazonianX.

It is quite certain that if one had a history as director in a company going into liquidation, it is advisable to declare it in the citizenship application.

May I bring a question for curiousity? For an applicant in the same situation but applying ILR, would the application require the same declaration?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:50 pm

mapreader wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:20 am
Thanks AmazonianX.

It is quite certain that if one had a history as director in a company going into liquidation, it is advisable to declare it in the citizenship application.

May I bring a question for curiousity? For an applicant in the same situation but applying ILR, would the application require the same declaration? From the little understanding, immigration application and citizenship/naturalisation are quite different as are the requirements to be met. What or where can you point to in immigrationapplication requiring the said declaration of liquidation

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am

Hi AmazonianX, thanks for your response.

I see your point. Indeed when I look into both the application forms of ILR and citizenship, there was not any question on liquidation.

There was question about bankruptcy but company liquidation is not bankruptcy.

There was a question "Have you ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that you may not be considered to be a person of good character?", which I think a person generally would not relate to liquidation (also the fact that the question was grouped with questions like war crime, terrorist).

So for "what or where in immigration application (ILR) requiring liquidation declaration", from an applicant point of view, I would say "no there is not any".

I just try to reassure my mind that I have not missed out important information back to the time of ILR application. On citizenship I shall see how the liquidation history to be declared based on the information researched.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:08 am

mapreader wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:56 am
Hi AmazonianX, thanks for your response.

I see your point. Indeed when I look into both the application forms of ILR and citizenship, there was not any question on liquidation.

There was question about bankruptcy but company liquidation is not bankruptcy.

There was a question "Have you ever engaged in any other activities which might indicate that you may not be considered to be a person of good character?", which I think a person generally would not relate to liquidation (also the fact that the question was grouped with questions like war crime, terrorist).

So for "what or where in immigration application (ILR) requiring liquidation declaration", from an applicant point of view, I would say "no there is not any". Therefore, do not overthink this.

I just try to reassure my mind that I have not missed out important information back to the time of ILR application. On citizenship I shall see how the liquidation history to be declared based on the information researched.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Question in application: Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK?

Post by mapreader » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 pm

Hi all,

About the question in application: Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK?

I came to the UK in 2016. Would that mean I need to only provide employment history in the UK since 2016? Is there any need to provide employment history before coming to the UK (which is in another country) to make it for the past 10 years?

I feel a bit uncertain about this 'or' question so would like to verify the understanding.

Thanks a lot.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Post by mapreader » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi AmazonianX, thanks again for your response.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Question in application: Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK?

Post by CR001 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 pm

mapreader wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Hi all,

About the question in application: Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK?

I came to the UK in 2016. Would that mean I need to only provide employment history in the UK since 2016? Is there any need to provide employment history before coming to the UK (which is in another country) to make it for the past 10 years?

I feel a bit uncertain about this 'or' question so would like to verify the understanding.

Thanks a lot.
Uk employment only as it asks
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

mapreader
Hong Kong

Re: Question in application: Have you had any other work over the past 10 years or since you came to the UK?

Post by mapreader » Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:23 am

Thanks CR001.
CR001 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 pm
mapreader wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:01 pm
Hi all,

Thanks a lot.
Uk employment only as it asks