ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SrMcNix
Newly Registered
Bermuda

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by SrMcNix » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:45 pm

SrMcNix wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:21 pm
Finally! After 27 months and 19 days I got my address confirmation email!

Application Date: Jan 8, 2020
Documents Received: Feb 7, 2020
Address Confirmation: May 26,2022
Congratulations Email: Pending
FBR Certification received: Pending
SrMcNix wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:22 pm
Lurking here for a few years now. Thought I would put in my timeline now that things look like they are moving again. I hope to hear something soon!

Address Confirmation: Pending
Finally got my congratulations email today! That puts my timeline so far at 28 months and 17 days. Sorry to say that none of my emails mentioned which team handled my application. This forum has been such a helpful resource during this whole process and I wish the very best of luck to everyone still waiting. On to my passport!

Congratulations Email: June 24,2022

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:03 pm

SrMcNix wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:45 pm
SrMcNix wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:21 pm
Finally! After 27 months and 19 days I got my address confirmation email!

SrMcNix wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:22 pm
Lurking here for a few years now. Thought I would put in my timeline now that things look like they are moving again. I hope to hear something soon!

Address Confirmation: Pending
Finally got my congratulations email today! That puts my timeline so far at 28 months and 17 days. Sorry to say that none of my emails mentioned which team handled my application. This forum has been such a helpful resource during this whole process and I wish the very best of luck to everyone still waiting. On to my passport!

Congratulations Email: June 24,2022
Congrats! I'm a week behind you, nothing so far. Hopefully something soon!

refeikamme
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by refeikamme » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:52 am

Okay so I'm trying to deep dive and figure out exactly what I need to submit myself for the FBR. Considering how long the wait is I figure the sooner the better. I have a (somewhat) complex situation that I can't seem to find anyone else has discussed on here, so hoping someone may have insight?

My father was adopted in NYC in the 60's. At the time it was a closed adoption, so he knew his mother was an Irish immigrant, but no identifying info. His birth certificate only listed his adoptive parents. A couple of years ago NYC opened up all previously closed adoptions and he was able to get a copy of his original birth cert with his bio mother's name (only hers, there is no father listed and she was unmarried at the time).

As far as documents needed to submit - I am hoping that his original BC with his surname listed as his Irish bio mother's, along with his adopted BC with his surname listed as his adopted mother's will be enough (this my legal surname as well)? There's no adoption cert or name change document that has both his original surname name and adopted surname name on it as far as I know? So I'm hoping they will accept that he is the same person on both BCs...

For my grandmother, I was able to trace enough information to request a birth certificate from Ireland. From what I could find she married a few years after my father was born, and I found an obituary with her married name so I was able to request a death cert as well. The only document for her I am missing is that marriage certificate. I know her and her husband's names but I can't find anything that is public to indicate where they were married. I think it was in NYC, but don't just want to mail in money half-blind only to receive a notice that they don't have it in their records. And if it wasn't in NYC I have no other lead so it will be a dead end. I believe the death certificate will list her parents, which will hopefully match the parents on her birth certificate, and since her maiden name is the one my father shares with her I am hoping they can overlook the missing marriage cert? Has anyone had a successful application without it?

Also if anyone has an email address to the FBR office so I can also inquire directly with them that would be appreciated! All I could find is a phone number and I feel like this might be a lot to explain or ask over the phone lol.

Thanks all!

joemac41
Ireland

Post by joemac41 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:03 am

refeikamme wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:52 am
Okay so I'm trying to deep dive and figure out exactly what I need to submit myself for the FBR. Considering how long the wait is I figure the sooner the better. I have a (somewhat) complex situation that I can't seem to find anyone else has discussed on here, so hoping someone may have insight?

My father was adopted in NYC in the 60's. At the time it was a closed adoption, so he knew his mother was an Irish immigrant, but no identifying info. His birth certificate only listed his adoptive parents. A couple of years ago NYC opened up all previously closed adoptions and he was able to get a copy of his original birth cert with his bio mother's name (only hers, there is no father listed and she was unmarried at the time).

As far as documents needed to submit - I am hoping that his original BC with his surname listed as his Irish bio mother's, along with his adopted BC with his surname listed as his adopted mother's will be enough (this my legal surname as well)? There's no adoption cert or name change document that has both his original surname name and adopted surname name on it as far as I know? So I'm hoping they will accept that he is the same person on both BCs...

For my grandmother, I was able to trace enough information to request a birth certificate from Ireland. From what I could find she married a few years after my father was born, and I found an obituary with her married name so I was able to request a death cert as well. The only document for her I am missing is that marriage certificate. I know her and her husband's names but I can't find anything that is public to indicate where they were married. I think it was in NYC, but don't just want to mail in money half-blind only to receive a notice that they don't have it in their records. And if it wasn't in NYC I have no other lead so it will be a dead end. I believe the death certificate will list her parents, which will hopefully match the parents on her birth certificate, and since her maiden name is the one my father shares with her I am hoping they can overlook the missing marriage cert? Has anyone had a successful application without it?

Also if anyone has an email address to the FBR office so I can also inquire directly with them that would be appreciated! All I could find is a phone number and I feel like this might be a lot to explain or ask over the phone lol.

Thanks all!
I don't want to be a wet blanket for you and certainly wish you luck, but I don't think it works that direction. For me I was adopted by an Irish family in NYC, and I have the rights granted by the adopted family and was able to get the Irish Citizenship through them. I don't believe it works the other way around, because essentially his birth family gave up all legal rights to him with the adoption. So for example, I'm half Italian by birth and based on my ancestry research, I would qualify for Italian citizenship if I was never put up for adoption. But because my birth father's name never appears on any birth documents (even on the originals) there is no way to prove the line. They don't take a DNA test as proof unfortunately.

That said, if he is still alive, he can order his original birth certifcate with the adoption papers from NY State and you can send that in and see if that works, but if he isn't I don't believe you can get the records of an adoptee from NY for a deceased person.

I wish you luck though and curious if do qualify that way. If you can't get through to the FBR, I would suggest either calling the Irish Consulate in NY or a place that deals with Irish Emmigration over here. Maybe they can answer your question.

refeikamme
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by refeikamme » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:48 am

joemac41 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:03 am
refeikamme wrote:

Thanks all!
I don't want to be a wet blanket for you and certainly wish you luck, but I don't think it works that direction. For me I was adopted by an Irish family in NYC, and I have the rights granted by the adopted family and was able to get the Irish Citizenship through them. I don't believe it works the other way around, because essentially his birth family gave up all legal rights to him with the adoption. So for example, I'm half Italian by birth and based on my ancestry research, I would qualify for Italian citizenship if I was never put up for adoption. But because my birth father's name never appears on any birth documents (even on the originals) there is no way to prove the line. They don't take a DNA test as proof unfortunately.

That said, if he is still alive, he can order his original birth certifcate with the adoption papers from NY State and you can send that in and see if that works, but if he isn't I don't believe you can get the records of an adoptee from NY for a deceased person.

I wish you luck though and curious if do qualify that way. If you can't get through to the FBR, I would suggest either calling the Irish Consulate in NY or a place that deals with Irish Emmigration over here. Maybe they can answer your question.
So yeah, NYC just opened all the closed adoption records so adoptees could get their original pre-adoption birth certificate. He already applied and got his, so it just looks like a regular birth certificate but with his pre adoption name and his bio moms name listed as his mother. It also lists her birthplace as Ireland.

I haven't seen anyone mention that you may not be eligible if your Irish parent placed you for adoption, but I will try to look further in to that. Like I said NYC just released these birth certificates so I haven't been able to find anyone who has actually tried to go through the passport application or FBR with these newly opened records... It definitely makes things a touch more confusing 🤔 The NYC Irish embassy is a good idea because if anyone has dealt with them yet it would likely be them. Thanks!

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:03 pm

I think it does work both ways, yes when adopted you are legally 'severed' from your birth parents, but there are people (on these forums) that have got a passport when the parent was Irish born but adopted by non-Irish parents. This doesn't quite match your circumstances, however, if the citizenship was passed on in that case, why would it be different for your father?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:23 pm

refeikamme wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:48 am
joemac41 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:03 am
refeikamme wrote:

Thanks all!

So yeah, NYC just opened all the closed adoption records so adoptees could get their original pre-adoption birth certificate. He already applied and got his, so it just looks like a regular birth certificate but with his pre adoption name and his bio moms name listed as his mother. It also lists her birthplace as Ireland.

I haven't seen anyone mention that you may not be eligible if your Irish parent placed you for adoption, but I will try to look further in to that. Like I said NYC just released these birth certificates so I haven't been able to find anyone who has actually tried to go through the passport application or FBR with these newly opened records... It definitely makes things a touch more confusing 🤔 The NYC Irish embassy is a good idea because if anyone has dealt with them yet it would likely be them. Thanks!
Irish embassy in NYC is the best place to start. They used to handle FBR registration right out of that location, so they are most likely familiar with the process and rules. Three other options I would say:

1) call the FBR number but boil your scenario down to a few simple lines. i.e. "My father was born to an Irish mother born in Ireland, but subsequently adopted by an American family. Do I have the right to Irish citizenship by descent?"

2) There is a general form for information on the DFA website, you could use that and maybe they can point you in the correct direction.

3) Lastly, you could call an immigration attorney in NY who specializes in Irish citizenship. Might cost you some money for the initial meeting where you can ask your questions.

Good luck!

refeikamme
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

Post by refeikamme » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:19 pm

Jordann26 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:24 pm
mattskilondon wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:28 pm
Jordann26 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:12 pm

I have a few questions if there is anyone who can help:
1) Has anyone gone through the FBR process before who had a similar situation re. adoption? Wondering if there was any difference or a longer wait time because of it. Luckily we were able to get a certified copy of my grandmother's Irish passport, as well as her other required docs but curious to know if there is anything I should be aware of as they are reviewing (flagging I already spoke to FBR last year and they said we're eligible regardless of my dad being given up for adoption).
I was in a similar situation, my mother was born in England to an Irish father and given up for adoption. I had both her birth certificate and her adoption certificate, in addition to everything else on the checklist. About 3 months after I sent everything off, I had an email from the DFA asking for the court order in order to link my mother's given first names to her father's surname (her adoption certificate obviously did contain her birth surname for privacy reasons). This turned into a drawn out process with an adoption agency and the courts, and this added significantly to my wait time. At that time (July 17 applicant) applications were taking about 6 months, but mine took 13. In the end I was unable to find the court order, but I was able to get some partial evidence, which took up the bulk of the delay. Once I supplied this to the DFA, they accepted it and things unblocked quickly and I had my FBR certificate in my hand in July 18. Other posters have also mentioned needing to provide adoption orders. Best really to see if DFA get back with any further document requests and be ready to respond if necessary. They were very good and allowed me as much time as I needed and I just kept them updated by email on what I was doing.
Thanks for the insight! I collected all these docs in advance (preadoption birth cert, court order, adoption papers,current birth cert etc) but took me over a year so they should have more than all the evidence they need. Luckily, it's my dad's mother who is the Irish citizen and her name was on the pre-adoption birth cert and had her maiden name. Father was empty and that would have prob been impossible to prove if he was the Irish citizen
Hi Jordan - this is quite an old post so I'm not sure if you will get this reply, but I'm in a similar situation and hoping for some insight! My father was born in NYC to an Irish born woman and placed up for a closed adoption, which sounds similar to your situation. We have his pre-adoption certificate now since those were newly opened, but nothing that outright links that pre-adoption cert with his post-adoption one. I'm guessing you all were able to receive an adoption certificate and court order through your process of petitioning the court to open the sealed adoption records for you? I would love to hear more about what the process was to get those unsealed and if you would recommend the lawyer you worked with through that process?

Hopefully you see this, thanks!

AlexBrecks
Newly Registered
Australia

Post by AlexBrecks » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Long-time reader of the thread - excellent info thanks all.

Documents submitted during covid, no acknowledgement email

Wanted to see if anybody else was in the same situation. I submitted my physical documents in Feb. 21, sent directly to Dublin. I was moving around a lot at the time and it was the only chance I could get to have everything witnessed by people who knew me and met the criteria. I didn't catch the official advice to not submit documents.

I never received the "documents received" email. I have the payment confirmation email but that's it.

I'm just wondering if I should be worrying that my envelope has been lost/misdirected since the office has been open for 7 months now. Did anybody else submit an application during Covid (non-emergency), and did you receive the confirmation letter? Is there somebody I should be chasing about this? Thanks in advance!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm

AlexBrecks wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:35 pm

Wanted to see if anybody else was in the same situation. I submitted my physical documents in Feb. 21, sent directly to Dublin. I was moving around a lot at the time and it was the only chance I could get to have everything witnessed by people who knew me and met the criteria. I didn't catch the official advice to not submit documents.

I never received the "documents received" email. I have the payment confirmation email but that's it.

I'm just wondering if I should be worrying that my envelope has been lost/misdirected since the office has been open for 7 months now. Did anybody else submit an application during Covid (non-emergency), and did you receive the confirmation letter? Is there somebody I should be chasing about this? Thanks in advance!
I submitted my docs just before Covid hit and everything shutdown, but I have seen many people who submitted while the FBR was closed say the same thing. I wouldn't be too worried. Did you send it with some sort of tracking such that you have confirmation from the shipper that it got there? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. If not, I would simply call the number on the website, give them your application number and ask them to simply confirm they got your docs.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm

The tracking spreadsheet on Google Docs has suddenly gone private.

It was there last I looked a few weeks ago.

What happened to it?
Is it coming back?
Anyone have a copy so we can keep this going?

thejambo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thejambo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:07 pm

Application Date: Jan 18, 2020
Documents Received: Feb 12, 2020
Address Confirmation: June 29, 2022

thejambo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thejambo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 pm

thejambo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:07 pm
Congratulations Email: June 29, 2022

SLwlss
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by SLwlss » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:15 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:30 pm
The tracking spreadsheet on Google Docs has suddenly gone private.

It was there last I looked a few weeks ago.

What happened to it?
Is it coming back?
Anyone have a copy so we can keep this going?
Sorry, the sharing changed somehow and noticed a lot of people asking for access. Maybe it times out after a set period of time? I've changed the sharing back to anyone can edit so should be working again. please let me know if it isn't

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm

thejambo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 pm
thejambo wrote:
Congrats! Glad to see they are finally moving into February. I'm Feb 14, 2020 so shouldn't be long now!
Also, very interesting to see how wildly the time between the Address confirmation and Congrats email can be. Seems like it's a weeks for some people, and in your case it was the same day.

Anyway, congrats again. Great to see!

thejambo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by thejambo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm
thejambo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:10 pm
thejambo wrote:
Congrats! Glad to see they are finally moving into February. I'm Feb 14, 2020 so shouldn't be long now!
Also, very interesting to see how wildly the time between the Address confirmation and Congrats email can be. Seems like it's a weeks for some people, and in your case it was the same day.

Anyway, congrats again. Great to see!
Yeah it was very short!
Request for address confirmation at 12.28
My response at 13.21
Tracking # at 14.52
Application approved at 15.34

Crazy to see this level of speed after 28 months!

GlasgowLass
Newly Registered
Scotland

Post by GlasgowLass » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:56 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm
AlexBrecks wrote:

I submitted my docs just before Covid hit and everything shutdown, but I have seen many people who submitted while the FBR was closed say the same thing. I wouldn't be too worried. Did you send it with some sort of tracking such that you have confirmation from the shipper that it got there? If so, I wouldn't worry too much. If not, I would simply call the number on the website, give them your application number and ask them to simply confirm they got your docs.
Same for me - submitted application and docs April 2021, received acknowledgment of application and payment but no confirmation of documents received email. I have the tracking receipt for the posting so will check that but where is the contact number referred to if I want to call and check directly with Dublin? Every time I have looked for contact details on the website there is nothing - it sends you round in circles!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:05 pm

GlasgowLass wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:56 am
Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:01 pm
AlexBrecks wrote:

Same for me - submitted application and docs April 2021, received acknowledgment of application and payment but no confirmation of documents received email. I have the tracking receipt for the posting so will check that but where is the contact number referred to if I want to call and check directly with Dublin? Every time I have looked for contact details on the website there is nothing - it sends you round in circles!
Hi, number is here:

https://www.dfa.ie/about-us/contact-us/ ... tizenship/

It still says for "urgent inquiries", but they removed the other method for "non-urgent inquiries" (the chat function) and this is the only one that remains. Good luck!

diana2015
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by diana2015 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:46 am

martingeorge
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by martingeorge » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:36 pm

Hi all

Now have my FBR certificate which will be on its way back for a passport on Monday morning. Here are my dates. I did try and put them on the database but with no luck

Application on line and fee paid 8 Jan 2019......followed by a year being treated for cancer
Application received at Balbriggan 3 Feb 2020
Confirmation of address 25 May 2020
Congratulations 26 May 2020
FBR and docs received back home today 1 July 2022

Yes it does happen....Best wishes to everyone out there who is waiting....Martin

martingeorge
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by martingeorge » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi all

Now have my FBR certificate which will be on its way back for a passport on Monday morning. Here are my dates. I did try and put them on the database but with no luck

Application on line and fee paid 8 Jan 2019......followed by a year being treated for cancer
Confirmation of address 25 May 2022
Congratulations 26 May 2022

Yes it does happen....Best wishes to everyone out there who is waiting....Martin

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:46 pm

martingeorge wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:40 pm
Hi all

Confirmation of address 25 May 2022
Congratulations 26 May 2022

Congrats Martin! You're done! Now onto the passport. Can't be long now for the rest of us Feb 2020 folks.

TInFE
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by TInFE » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:23 pm

Its getting close for us March 2020 people now too :-)

Do we have a view whether we can predict whether the order in which they are approving us follows the document received date or application submitted ?

I sent my documents off double quick, so, yes, this question is frivolous & just shows how impatient/excited I am, despite waiting 2+ years.. :D

Revin Kevin
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by Revin Kevin » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:12 pm

TInFE wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:23 pm
Its getting close for us March 2020 people now too :-)

Do we have a view whether we can predict whether the order in which they are approving us follows the document received date or application submitted ?

I sent my documents off double quick, so, yes, this question is frivolous & just shows how impatient/excited I am, despite waiting 2+ years.. :D
With you - March 7th here!

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:38 pm

thejambo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 pm

Yeah it was very short!
Request for address confirmation at 12.28
My response at 13.21
Tracking # at 14.52
Application approved at 15.34

Crazy to see this level of speed after 28 months!
You're living in the fast lane! Congratulations