ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

questions about citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

rogerroger
Member of Standing

questions about citizenship

Post by rogerroger » Thu May 19, 2005 11:24 pm

Hi
I got my ILR in August 2004. my WP was issued in September 2000.

i was wondering if i should apply for British citizenship in september or in august? i mean is it 5 years from when my work permit was issued or a year from when my ILR was issued

or if i can apply 4 weeks before my one year ILR is up, then that makes it July :)

i have gone through the posts on the forum, and found out that it can take long as 6 months to get a reply. what are the chances and reasons for being rejected for citizenship?

i was also wondering if the passport issued would be the machine readable passport which would make me eligible for visa waiver when the US asks all citizens to provide the right machine readable passport

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri May 20, 2005 9:55 am

You definitely need to wait 5 years from the date you entered the UK on your work permit. For naturalization, there is no 4 week period period before the anniversary date as there was with ILR.
Joseph

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri May 20, 2005 10:20 am

i changed my student visa to a work visa while i was in the UKso there is no stamp which shows my entry into the UK, there however is a stamp which shows when the visa was revalidated.

i guess that is the stamp that will be considered, there is a slight inconsitency

the stamp is dated 14 Sept. 2000
whereas my work permit was dated 28 Sept 2000

i have also lost my work permit. is that a problem?

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri May 20, 2005 10:36 am

In that case, since you were already in the UK legally in August (5 years before when your ILR was issued) you could apply on your ILR anniversary date in August. But make sure you were actually in the UK 5 years before that time.
Joseph

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri May 20, 2005 4:25 pm

I was in the UK in August 2000.

Can you tell me what is the success rate of a citizenship application?
what are the reasons one might be turned down?
also will i still retain my current nationality and passport(in order to travel)

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Fri May 20, 2005 5:09 pm

I don't know the success rate.

The guidance notes say that:
Applications that fail, generally do so because applicants do not tell us about offences and convictions, or the residence requirements have not been satisfied.

and

Under the nationality laws of some countries a person will automatically lose their nationality if they become a citizen of another country. If you have any questions about this, you should ask the authorities of the country of which you are a citizen before making your application. If the country of which you are currently a citizen continues to recognise you as one of its citizens you may continue to be subject to the laws of that country when you are in its territory. This may include obligations to undergo military service.
On the last question, it depends on your current nationality. The UK has no concern about dual nationality, but your current country may.

Joseph

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Fri May 20, 2005 8:28 pm

with regards to this question "also will i still retain my current nationality and passport(in order to travel)" i meant whilst the application is pending, can i travel on my original nationalities passport

hsmphopeful

Post by hsmphopeful » Sat May 21, 2005 5:38 pm

Yes.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sat May 21, 2005 7:07 pm

thanks for all the replies, dudes