ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

stamp 4 given based on mothers naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jjose033
Newly Registered
Ireland

stamp 4 given based on mothers naturalization

Post by jjose033 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:13 am

Hi,

Hope someone here can help me with this query.
I lived in ireland 2004-2011(attending school and got gnib card in 2011 before i left) and was out of state from 2011-2018 then i returned in 2018(was 23 years) and reside here till now.
My mother was here all the time and she went through naturalization and is an irish citizen now.
when i came back i was initially on student visa - was attending college but i got my stamp changed to stamp4 in 2019. The stamp 4 was given on the basis of my mothers citizenship and theres a lot of restrictions placed on it as well i.e. i have to live same house need to reside in state continuously etc.

Just wondering where do i go from here cause i feel like this is a dependent visa situation but I am 27 now.
To apply for citizenship which form do i use ? also how many years i need is it 3 or 5. also i have very little address proof etc since all bills would be in parents name.

Would the best approach be to try get stamp 5 and go at citizenship from there.
Really confused with the whole situation so if there's anyone who can shed some light on this, i would be extremely grateful.

thanks in advance
J

meself2
Ireland

Re: stamp 4 given based on mothers naturalization

Post by meself2 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:11 am

You need 5 years - 3 is only for a spouse of Irish National. Form 8 is the way to go, as a regular adult, you're way too old for young adult route, for example.

There is this new scoreboard approach in place since January, so your bet bet is to gather what you have, consult it and see how much.you get and all.

For Stamp 5 you need to have 8 years of reckonable residence. If you can prove it and gather necessary documents, you can send an application for Stamp 5, as they're free of charge, but it's not necessary since you have Stamp 4 already.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

jjose033
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jjose033 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:32 pm

thanks for the reply, that would make sense my confusion was arising since based off my permission I am being treated as a minor/dependent young adult, I am happy enough with stamp4 the only thing is its restrictive such that I need to stay in same house etc. which means i cant move out into other region for a separate job or settle down elsewhere whereas on stamp 5 I should have some sort of freedom also might save a few quid with renewals since stamp 4 i usually get for 1 year stretches'.

Also judging from my case would I be correct in saying that I have missed my chances at citizenships at two instances one when my mother naturalized and i was still under 18. and two when i returned in 2018 when I was 23 whereby i could have applied as young adult instead of getting stamp4 .

jjose033
Newly Registered
Ireland

thanks for the reply, that would make sense my confusion was arising since based off my permission I am being treated as a minor/dependent young adult, I am happy enough with stamp4 the only thing is its restrictive such that I need to stay in same house etc. which means i cant move out into other region for a separate job or settle down elsewhere whereas on stamp 5 I should have some sort of freedom also might save a few quid with renewals since stamp 4 i usually get for 1 year stretches'.

Also judging from my case would I be correct in saying that I have missed my chances at citizenships at two instances one when my mother naturalized and i was still under 18. and two when i returned in 2018 when I was 23 whereby i could have applied as young adult instead of getting stamp4 .

jjose033
Newly Registered
Ireland

jjose033
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by jjose033 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:34 pm

sorry not sure what happened appear to have posted reply 3 times

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 1:09 pm

jjose033 wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:32 pm

You can go for Stamp 5, but for that you will need to stay in Ireland for 8 years and student permission doesn't count for that. You can also try and find another way of staying here (ie work permit) if you wish to find another way for independence.
Going from the official website, it says that
You have completed 8 years (96 months) legal residency in Ireland under the appropriate permission which will be reflected by Immigration stamps in your passport
I have no idea, honestly, if your time spent in the country as a minor would count, so you can either wait and see if anyone else will provide their input or seek professional legal advice (you might start with MRCI, for example, I emailed them my query when I was rather desperate and got a reply).

If we assume your child residence does not count, you only have 3 years out of 8 for Stamp 5, which is quite a stretch. Also, for citizenship they count your time in Ireland for last 9 years (and again, can't be student permission), so same story here.

In regards to missed chances, you couldn't have applied in 2018 for that reason as well - they count 5 out of last 9 years and you didn't meet that condition. Not sure about the time of your mother's, but possibly, I don't have detailed knowledge of law to make these suggestions.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.