ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation or Registration for Minor born outside UK

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Naturalisation or Registration for Minor born outside UK

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Hi All

I am a bit confused with the guidance AN which states "You can only apply to naturalise as a British citizen if you are an adult (aged 18 or over). Children under the age of 18 may be registered as a British citizen if they meet the relevant criteria."

I want to apply for Citizenship for my daughter (who is a minor) and wife who are on ILR for more than 2 years. I am a British Citizen.
Backgroung:
My daughter was born outside UK when I was on Tier 2 General and my wife as T2 dependent i.e. none of us were "Settled" in the UK. Eventually, we all got the ILR and I progressed to have Citizenship.

My question is, will a minor in this case needs to apply for Naturalisation or Registering? My wife and daughter would be applying together, so should my daughter be included in the same application as that of my wife? This bit is not clear.
Could anybody please clarify?

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation or Registration for Minor born outside UK

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:27 pm

As the guidance rightly says, adults are naturalised, children are registered (minors cannot apply for naturalisation....).

When your wife completes her online application for naturalisation (form AN) there will then be the option to add others to the application, in your daughter's case "child under 18" and the system will adjust to the registration format (form MN1).

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm
Hi All

I am a bit confused with the guidance AN which states "You can only apply to naturalise as a British citizen if you are an adult (aged 18 or over). Children under the age of 18 may be registered as a British citizen if they meet the relevant criteria."

I want to apply for Citizenship for my daughter (who is a minor) and wife who are on ILR for more than 2 years. I am a British Citizen.
Backgroung:
My daughter was born outside UK when I was on Tier 2 General and my wife as T2 dependent i.e. none of us were "Settled" in the UK. Eventually, we all got the ILR and I progressed to have Citizenship.

My question is, will a minor in this case needs to apply for Naturalisation or Registering? My wife and daughter would be applying together, so should my daughter be included in the same application as that of my wife? This bit is not clear.

Thanks
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

rainbowbutterfly
Mood:
India

Post by rainbowbutterfly » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:29 pm

Thank you very much for a quick response. Many thanks!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:30 pm

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:18 pm
Hi All

Backgroung:

Thanks
Clearly stated in your quote. Minor register and adult naturalise.