ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life after gaining British citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Herald96
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Life after gaining British citizenship

Post by Herald96 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 pm

I am quite happy to announce that my British citizenship has been approved. Now I am due to attend a ciizenship ceremony next month. I have lived in the UK for 12 years since the age of 14 and could not be more grateful today. Britain has done so much for me (I also did pay a lot of taxes :) ) and I truly love this country.

I have a few questions that might well sound straightforward or maybe funny...
  • After gaining citizenship, would it be fair to call the UK my home?
  • Would it be fair to say that the soil that I walk on everyday would be the soil that I belong to?
  • Those who gone through the process before me, do you feel British?
  • Would it be weird to say that I get emotional everytime I see the union jack?
  • After becoming a British citizen, would that mean that I could work any job including goverment related jobs?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Life after gaining British citizenship

Post by Ticktack » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:29 pm

Herald96 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:16 pm
I am quite happy to announce that my British citizenship has been approved. Now I am due to attend a ciizenship ceremony next month. I have lived in the UK for 12 years since the age of 14 and could not be more grateful today. Britain has done so much for me (I also did pay a lot of taxes :) ) and I truly love this country.

• Would it be fair to say that the soil that I walk on everyday would be the soil that I belong to?
  • After becoming a British citizen, would that mean that I could work any job including goverment related jobs?
You're just obviously excited. Congrats!!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Herald96
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Herald96 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:37 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:29 pm
Herald96 wrote:

You're just obviously excited. Congrats!!
Honestly over the Moon!!! thank you! :D :D

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:39 pm

Congratulation!
Some (lighthearted) answers .. very valid questions but you have to decide what the appropriate answers are.... and everyone will probably give you different answers - even the native British can't agree on what Britishness is (which is good to my mind).
Herald96 wrote:

Yes - but you could have called it your home before this date.

Struggling here ....
Yes - naturalised after 37 years in the UK - sometimes I think I'm more British than the natives ....
Perhaps - probably - ....
You can apply for any job, subject to the requirements, or don't work, or retire, or leave the country/return, at will.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Herald96
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Herald96 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:54 pm

Hey there alterhase58, thank you for the answers! It is good to hear how other people view this.

By the way, questions 1 and 2 and pretty much the same, just question 2 is worded a little funnier :D

It is true that I couldv'e called the UK home before that date. In practice, I always did. However, I guess not being a citizen always made me feel like something was missing. Like the place that I considered home might not really be home? Even though I always had 90% of the same opportunity that the citizens had, I just felt incomplete I guess.... I do understand your point that even locals couldn't agree what britishness is

Thank you!!

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:37 am

Congratulations on being able to call UK your home.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:32 am

Herald96 wrote:
I think it is important to explain why you are asking these. They might seem funny, silly, or sentimental, but they are not. I'll play a little the devil'a advocate here, as I think these questions are actually quite relevant and important.
For tax purposes, the question has a complicated answer. You might be a UK tax payer and UK resident, yet be non-domiciled. Read this.
Not straightforward either. There is nothing in the law dictating where a person "belongs". Not where you are born, not where you were raised, not the place you call home. The harshest of Home Office rules dictate that any non-UK national who has committed a crime that warrants them a jail sentence of 12 months of more, should be deported "to their country or origin". Even if that person was born in the UK and lived in the UK their whole life. That's the law.

Where does that person belong? Would you say that they belong less to the UK than someone who recently acquired British citizenship but has resided the bare minimum of just 4 years in the UK (via the spousal route)?
I suppose this is the one question that can be answered reasonably well on a forum, as a crowed source one, just for the sake of statistics. My answer is, I don't know, probably halfway through. I'm studying British history now, and I feel like I understand this country's DNA better because of that, but there is obviously a cultural wall between what a native British person thinks, does, and behaves like; and what I do in contrast.

But everyone is different, and legally, I am British. That's a fact.
Again, not sure what you want to hear here. That's a personal experience and there is no good or bad answer. Sometimes I feel emotional in certain contexts when hearing my country of origin's national anthem, or flag; sometimes... not. Sometimes I feel admiration and respect for the Union jack... sometimes (specially remembering colonial history)... not.

Again, everyone is different, don't seek to justify or validate your answers by other's, your answers are your own.
This one is easy and straightforward: No.
While it is true that since you acquired ILR (or it's EUSS equivalent) you have the indefinite right to live and work in the UK, this does not give you access to all types of government jobs. British citizenship does open some more opportunities than ILR; but even as a British citizen, there are jobs that are and will always be out of bounds for you. I've seen government adverts (presumably top security and intelligence) requiring not only British citizenship... but also British citizenship from both parents. Nothing you can do about that, and nothing any amount of British residence years can change, I'm afraid.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:41 am

Congratulations on becoming a British citizen :) It is a journey that many of us have traveled on, and it has definitely been a marathon, not a sprint, for most of us.
Herald96 wrote:
After gaining citizenship, would it be fair to call the UK my home?
Hopefully you felt that way a long time before British citizenship.
Herald96 wrote:
Would it be fair to say that the soil that I walk on everyday would be the soil that I belong to?
Herald96 wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:54 pm
By the way, questions 1 and 2 and pretty much the same, just question 2 is worded a little funnier :D
This is trickier than you think. In the land of my origin, politics is still defined in terms of "Sons of the Soil" and others. Even though the others have lived in that country for centuries, they are not identified as being Sons of the Soil. So the answer most likely will be that yes, for your descendants, and yes, if you so identify yourself. But others may not see it that way.
Herald96 wrote:
Those who gone through the process before me, do you feel British?
I was mentally and spiritually British years before I arrived in the UK, even though I did not have a British passport :) For me, it was not immigration, but a homecoming.
Herald96 wrote:
Would it be weird to say that I get emotional everytime I see the union jack?
Not at all. I can identify with that.
Herald96 wrote:
After becoming a British citizen, would that mean that I could work any job including goverment related jobs?
Yes.

EDIT: @kamoe's point about some very select jobs requiring British citizenship of both parents is a very good point, but they are, to the best of my knowledge, very far and few inbetween. And generally in the fields of intelligence, etc. Even they are beginning to open up and relax those requirements to encourage diversity (after all, one needs spies and intelligence officers of all types of appearances too).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.