ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

visit visa - student dependent's parent

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Shreakh
Sri Lanka

visit visa - student dependent's parent

Post by Shreakh » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:36 pm

hi, I'm an international student studying a MSc program in the UK and my wife and the child (3 years old) are also living with me in here as my dependents (student dependent visa). Can I bring my wife's mother as a visitor to the UK? I have a genuine requirement as well for this but I don't know if I can be a sponsor for her as she is not my mother but my wife's. Appreciate your guidance. Thanks.

manci
Respected Guru

Re: visit visa - student dependent's parent

Post by manci » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:10 pm

You can sponsor anyone you like but your mother-in-law's application will be decided primarily on her circumstances in her home country and on what she says about the purpose of her intended visit.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:28 pm

Shreakh wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:36 pm
I have a genuine requirement as well
What is the "genuine requirement"? If it is to care for your child/her grandchild, keep in mind that that may be construed as working while in the UK on a visit visa, which is forbidden and which can lead to a refusal.
Better to state something on the lines of her wanting to spend more time with her grandchild.
Also, the crucial question is, given the situation in Sri Lanka, how would you and she convince the Entry Clearance Officer that she will return to Sri Lanka before the end of her visit visa? What are the ties to Sri Lanka that would outweigh her links to the UK (her daughter and grandchild)?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:42 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.