ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Adult Passport hold up due to travel document

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Anon132
Sudan

First Adult Passport hold up due to travel document

Post by Anon132 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Hi,

Before I was naturalised as a British citizen, I had a refugee travel document. After I became a citizen, I sent my BRP and travel document to the Home Office to be canceled, as they requested.

I then applied for a first British passport in April but they sent a letter asking me to send them my travel document. I sent a letter back to explain that it's with the Home Office now and no longer in my possession, to which they never replied.

Next week, it will be 10 weeks since they've recieved my supporting documents and after calling a few advisors for an application status, they said that the travel document is what is holding up my application and that an examiner needs to look into it further.

However, my husband who applied in June has now received a text to say his passport has been issued, yet they never asked him to send back his travel document.

I'm really confused as to why this document is holding up my application as it's irrelevant? I hope someone can give me any information or clarity in regards to this matter.

TIA.

vinny

Re: First Adult Passport hold up due to travel document

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:46 am

It seems that UKVI and HMPO, both Agencies of the Home Office, sometimes act incompatably. In a hostile environment, if it’s against the interest of the applicant, then sharing information seems all the rage? Else, they apparently have difficulties colaborating with each other.

Perhaps HMPO is concerned with identity thief? Without a travel document nor BRP, do you have any other proof of identity?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:20 am

Many thanks for the response Vinny.

Hostile environment indeed, it's ridiculous. If there was an identity theft concern, that can easily be eliminated by inviting me to interview but they haven't and I doubt that they will ask this late into the application.

As for proof of identity, I have a provisional driving licence but nothing else.

What are my options at this point? 🙁

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 am

Probably wait for the passport interview?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

showpower
Newly Registered
England

Post by showpower » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:11 pm

Any updates
As I’m in the same situation
If you can tell me did you get any response as of now ?

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:18 pm

vinny wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:09 am
Probably wait for the passport interview?
I haven't been requested to book an interview appointment, that's the thing. Plus, my citizenship application was approved less than 12 months ago so I shouldn't need to in the first place, but at this point it would be helpful.

Anon132
Sudan

Post by Anon132 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:25 pm

showpower wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:11 pm
Any updates
As I’m in the same situation
If you can tell me did you get any response as of now ?
I've emailed my MP and he has confirmed that he's contacted them and is awaiting their reply but nothing yet. Since then, I have emailed several upgrade teams, I got 2 replies, both stating that they can't upgrade my application as it's a first adult passport. However, one of them has advised that they will contact the expedited services team to treat my application as a priority since it's well over 10 weeks.

Tbh, I'm not keeping high hopes. My advice is to buy a cheap travel ticket within 2 weeks of the 10 weeks processing time and email the expedited services team with your ticket. I've also emailed and posted a complaint and I've noted down my whole timeline. If you don't get a response, I suggest you go to your nearest passport office within 48 hours of your travel. There's no guarante that it will work but I've read that several applicants have done this and it was mostly successful. This will be my last resort.

Good luck.

showpower
Newly Registered
England

Post by showpower » Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:30 am

Hi
I was told by passport progress team to send them HO email where it says that travel document should returned to them and a covering letter ) in a print form and post to them. as one of my Frnd done the same
Let’s see how it goes