ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation queries

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

watway_as
Newly Registered
Mood:
India

Naturalisation queries

Post by watway_as » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm

Hi
Our family (myself, spouse and child) have been on ILR for over a year now. I am planning to apply for naturalisation for the three of us with an intention of ultimately applying for the British passport.

I went through the naturalisation guide but still had a few queries so asking here:

1. Can the same referee vouch for all three of us or does it need to be a separate referee for everyone?
2. What checks does the Home Office carry out on the referees? I need to explain to the referees what they are signing to!! Any official documentation links to this would be helpful!
3. When we submit the naturalisation application, are we informed of the outcome or does the council contact us directly?
4. Do we have a say in deciding the naturalisation ceremony date? (Planning to be out of the country in Dec)
5. Once we have the naturalisation certificate, can we apply for British passport right away?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by CR001 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:04 pm

1. Can the same referee vouch for all three of us or does it need to be a separate referee for everyone?
Yes, provided they meet the requirements.
2. What checks does the Home Office carry out on the referees? I need to explain to the referees what they are signing to!! Any official documentation links to this would be helpful!
We don't know tbh.
3. When we submit the naturalisation application, are we informed of the outcome or does the council contact us directly?
UKVI informs you if approved or refused.
4. Do we have a say in deciding the naturalisation ceremony date? (Planning to be out of the country in Dec)
Some councils let you choose, some councils don't.
5. Once we have the naturalisation certificate, can we apply for British passport right away?
Yes.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

kamoe
European Union

Re: Naturalisation queries

Post by kamoe » Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:00 pm

My two cents here:
watway_as wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:02 pm
As @CR001 said above, we don't know. But, if at all that is helpful, I understand most referees are never directly contacted by the Home Office in any way (at least ours were never contacted). Their signature is enough acknowledgement that they understand the requirements to be a referee and that they confirm they personally know the refereed.

Maybe not the answer you expected, but I'm saying this in case this helps to manage potential referee's expectations about what will happen/what they need to do after they sign the form: From their perspective, nothing.

Also, needless to say, I'm sure the Home Office checks that the passport number and holder details (names, DOB) check out. :!:
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.