ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Amendments to Adult dependent visa rules

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssingh6

Amendments to Adult dependent visa rules

Post by ssingh6 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:13 am

I have heard in a immigration program last week that , the rules have been changed under the adult relative visa now. The rules have been amended on 09 Aug 22.
Now, a sponsorship/undertaking is required stating that the parents will not claim public funds.
If someone has any further details, please share.

My own situation-
My parents are alone in India, above 65 years, both pensioners from good govt jobs, have good properties in India - so not financially dependent on me.
I am a British citizen, well settled here, with good, financial stable job, have my own house.
Its unfortunate , that because my parents are not financially dependent on me, I can't bring them here on adult dependent visa. I still think these rules are discriminatory.
Even ,if I m able to support them for the stay here without claiming public funds.
I am also willing to pay the similar type of NHS surcharges paid by students or spouses.
With covid, people were not able to see the families for 2-3 years, the British citizens should be given rights to bring the adult parents here, if they can support them.
Other option the Government can give is a long term visa (Super visa) as given by Canadians. They also get the medical insurance covered under that visa and parents can stay in Canada at stretch of 5 years, making it easier for families to be in touch with loved one. They don't have to apply for visitor visa again and again. Super visa in Canada is given for 10 years.

Just wondering if we have many people here under the same situation?

Please reply if you are in same situation.
Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Amendments to Adult dependent visa rules

Post by Casa » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:43 am

The considerable hurdle to overcome is not only your financial support once your parents arrive in the UK, but the following conditions from the Immigration Rules:

You must prove all of the following:

you need long-term care to do everyday personal and household tasks because of illness, disability or your age
the care you need is not available or affordable in the country you live in
the person you’ll be joining in the UK will be able to support, accommodate and care for you without claiming public funds for at least 5 years
you’re 18 or over

Both parents would need to prove that neither of them can carry out daily tasks, such as bathing, dressing, preparing food etc and that this care is either not available in their own country, or is not affordable.

Even if both of your parents required this daily care, the cost would be less in their home country than in the UK.

The refusal rate for an ADR visa is exceptionally high and even the small percentage of applications which have succeeded many of these have been after lengthy and expensive legal challenges.

If your parents apply for an Adult Dependent Visa and are refused, this will close the door for any visitor visa applications in the future, due to their prior intention to settle in the UK, which will be held on record.

The NHS Surcharge payment isn't available for this category of visa.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:44 am

Submit evidence to The House of Lords Justice and Home Affairs Committee?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ssingh6

Post by ssingh6 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am

vinny wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:44 am
Submit evidence to The House of Lords Justice and Home Affairs Committee?
Thanks for this Vinny- will check this further!