ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Driving License with ARC card

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

haidarbaker
Newly Registered

Driving License with ARC card

Post by haidarbaker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:53 pm

Hi All

How can I obtain a UK Driving License with Application Registration Card ARC that states work permitted (Home Office letter available) and I also have National Insurance Number. I can provide payslips too if required.

I know this might be a duplicate post but I couldn't find any recent posts as a lot of things changed in the last 3 years.

Thank you in advance.

Haidar

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Driving License with ARC card

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:15 pm

I can't specificaly comment on your document but here is the official link regarding ID for DL: https://www.gov.uk/id-for-driving-licence
Do you already have a foreign licence? You may be able to exchange it for a UK licence, otherwise you may only qualify for a provisional licence: https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisio ... ng-licence
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

haidarbaker
Newly Registered

Post by haidarbaker » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:29 pm

Thanks for your reply, I don't have an international DL I am afraid.

The Gov website doesn't mention anything about ARC cards.

I am just wondering if I can fill in the form and post it to DVLA along with other documents.

Thanks again

Haidar

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 pm

In that case you need to apply for a provisional licence first. No documents are posted to DVLA for that, everything is done online Provisional driving licence

Then you have to take and pass a theory test and a practical test to get a full UK driving licence.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:56 pm

Update: the provisional licence application still requires to post documents to DVLA if the applicant does not hold a British passport. I only can suspect that an ARC card is a valid ID form for this purpose.

haidarbaker
Newly Registered

Post by haidarbaker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:25 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes this is what I am going to be doing.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:12 am

lolo2 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:56 pm
Update: the provisional licence application still requires to post documents to DVLA if the applicant does not hold a British passport. I only can suspect that an ARC card is a valid ID form for this purpose.
Not just any form of ID is required for the issuance of a provisional DL. You need a passport and a vignette that shows you have a right to be here or a BRP.
Immigration status verification is a key factor in all of this.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:26 am

The Gov.UK webpage on ARC Cards specifically states that it "is not evidence of identity."

So I suspect that it can't be used as ID for many purposes, such as applying for a drivers license.

Once your asylum application has been processed and accepted, you may be eligible to apply for a Home Office Travel Document, which can be used as proof of ID.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:42 am

That's interesting.

Let's say the ARC holder has the right to work in the UK, as per the guidance.

I can understand that it's a provisional status, but what if the asylum claimant finds job as a driver? how they can obtain a drivers licence then?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:03 am

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:42 am
That's interesting.

Let's say the ARC holder has the right to work in the UK, as per the guidance.

I can understand that it's a provisional status, but what if the asylum claimant finds job as a driver? how they can obtain a drivers licence then?
It's all about evidence. You can't jump the gun.
Quick scenario, when the UK was still part of the EU. The EU law states that the non-EU spouse of a Brit has the right to be issued a visa to any EU country as soon as it's deemed possible (Maybe not exactly phrased like that, but you get the drift). However, the non-EU spouse still needs to prove that he/she deserves it (Even though you have a UK issued spouse visa). You need marriage certificate, original passport of your EU spouse and your visa must have an excess of 3 months left from the time you intend to return back to the UK.

Back to the issue at hand, if the procedures aren't met, no license would be issued. The onus is always on you to show why you need to be issued any government document. No one cares what job you got.

In all honesty, the person probably wouldn't even get the job. As one of the requirements would be that you have a valid UK license.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:49 pm

No employer would hire drivers with a provisional licence. Provisional licence doesn't allow you to drive on your own (only with a licenced driver supervising you).
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:47 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:42 am
the ARC holder has the right to work in the UK
Having the right to work will be only one of many requirements that an applicant needs to be able to work in specified jobs.

I am a British citizen and have the right to work in the UK, but I can't work in the nuclear sector unless I meet other, much more stringent requirements.

Similarly, certain intelligence and government roles require not only the applicant, but also both parents to have British citizenship.

In other words, having the right to work is a necessary, but not sufficient, requirement to getting a job in the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

haidarbaker
Newly Registered

Post by haidarbaker » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:08 pm

I do appreciate your replys. It is really helpful.

I am going to give it a try and send a hard copy application form filled in and signed to DVLA along with a letter from the home office stating the right of work, national insurance number letter, payslips, bank statements as proof of address and of course the ARC card.

I will keep you updated.

Thanks again

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:11 pm

I would be very curious to know DVLA's response now that you've decided to apply for a provisional licence.

mavura
Newly Registered
South Africa

Post by mavura » Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:42 pm

i would like the feed back too from the DVLA about your Provisional licence, please keep us updated.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:08 pm

mavura wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:42 pm
i would like the feed back too from the DVLA about your Provisional licence, please keep us updated.
OP has not visited the forum since their last post.