ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

First Passport - Query

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ashontherun
India

First Passport - Query

Post by ashontherun » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:55 am

Hello guys,

First of all thank you group moderators and gurus for helping me out regarding all my queries.

Recently, I got naturalised as a british citizen and now I am applying for first british passport. One of the questions asked to provide DOB certificate which I don't have as it was not required to get passport in my home country.

What should I do and what document I can use to prove DOB please?

Thanks

kamoe
European Union

Re: First Passport - Query

Post by kamoe » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:46 pm

ashontherun wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:55 am
Hello guys,

First of all thank you group moderators and gurus for helping me out regarding all my queries.

Recently, I got naturalised as a british citizen and now I am applying for first british passport. One of the questions asked to provide DOB certificate which I don't have as it was not required to get passport in my home country.

Thanks
Birth certificates are not usually required for British passports. If they are, it's because the applicant is applying under one of several specific conditions (adoption among others), that require further proof of the circumstances of birth. If that is your case, you need to supply the document requested.

I understand official national documents such as birth certificates can always be requested to the relevant consulate.

First double check that indeed you need to supply a birth certificate, then contact your consulate for advice on how to get one, or an alternative equivalent.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:14 pm

ashontherun wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:55 am
If you just naturalised your certificate and national passport(s) should be sufficient for first adult passport.
And your naturalisation certificate actually states your DOB. Clearly HMPO can and do sometimes request additional documents - can you perhaps copy out the list of required documents you have been asked for?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 pm

Thank you @alterhase for your prompt reply.

Following is the list of documents:

""Applicant’s documents

Send the following:

full birth or adoption certificate
the passport used to enter the UK
any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
Parents’ documents

For your father, send 1 of the following:

naturalisation or registration certificate
And you’ll also need to send:

father’s marriage or civil partnership certificate to your mother or parent 1"""

1. My parents are not born in the UK and never been UK citizen - This I have already mentioned in the application where it asks for their nationality. I don't understand why they are asking for their "naturalisation"

2. full birth or adoption certificate - As I don't have birth certificate, I will send my naturalisation certificate

3. For your father - marriage certificate - my parents are married abroad in India. Shall I send their indian marriage certificate?

Please advise.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:15 pm

Parents' documents etc not required.
Your claim to Brit. citizenship comes through naturalisation.
Therefore only the certificate and your current/uncancelled foreign passport(s) are required.
Many members here apply for first passports with no issue - it is though quite confusing how the requirements are worded.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:03 pm

ashontherun wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:41 pm
Thank you @alterhase for your prompt reply.

Following is the list of documents:

""Applicant’s documents

Send the following:

the passport used to enter the UK
any current or expired passports from other countries that haven’t been cancelled
Parents’ documents

For your father, send 1 of the following:

naturalisation or registration certificate
And you’ll also need to send:

father’s marriage or civil partnership certificate to your mother or parent 1"""

1. My parents are not born in the UK and never been UK citizen - This I have already mentioned in the application where it asks for their nationality. I don't understand why they are asking for their "naturalisation"

2. full birth or adoption certificate - As I don't have birth certificate, I will send my naturalisation certificate

3. For your father - marriage certificate - my parents are married abroad in India. Shall I send their indian marriage certificate?

Please advise.
Is this for your own passport or for your 14-year old child's?

As the previous post suggests, the above list doesn't make sense for a naturalised citizen passport. Your child, on the other hand, is not a naturalised citizen but a registered one, from what I can gather from your previous posts...
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:24 am

The requirements for a first passport for a Naturalised Brit are;

1.Passport used to enter the UK (for the first time)
2. Current or Uncancelled Passport(s)
3. Naturalisation Cert.

Nothing more, nothing less.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:32 pm

Thank you guys.

I have amended the application form and now its all good.

I now have a further query:

My 14-year-old who was born abroad is currently on Indefinite Leave to Remain in the UK for over 1 year. I am made aware that children under 18 even though born abroad can be registered as a British citizen, am I correct?

I have applied to register my 14-year-old as a british citizen on that basis however, the checklist is asking for:

a) Grandparents' marriage certificate
b) British grandparent's birth certificate, registration or naturalisation certificate, or passport

The application form there was a question about grandparent details as below:

Did they become a citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies or British citizen by registration or
naturalisation? - I have answered this as no as both grandparents are not British and Indian citizens.

I am not really sure what mistake I have made in the application form as the completed application generated above 2 documents.

Ques 1: Now, can I clarify in the cover letter about the grandparents situation as they not citizens of UK or do I have to cancel this application.

Ques 2: How can I cancel this application and ask for a refund?

Ques 3: Which application form should I use to register my child or do I have to fill the naturalisation for him as well?

Please could you help guys?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:55 pm

What did you select under rhe route to citizenship he applying through?

The last option in that list is "Other at the secretary of states discretion" which is what you must choose.

If you chose the option of applying as parent is British, you would get the wrong checklist.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:03 pm

Thank you CR001 for your reply.

I think I did not choose that option and chose the category - "you were born outside of UK" and answered the question that "one or both of your parents is applying for Britishn citizenship" as my wife is applying for british citizenship separately.

Now can I withdraw this application please? Alternatively, can I mention this in the cover letter and clarify the situation to the caseworker.

If not, what is the procedure of withdrawing the application form. Is there any contact details for that please?

Please advise.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:00 pm

Guys,

Please any help is appreciated.

Shall I withdraw the application and re-apply or can I mention this in the cover letter? This is just so that I can save my application money.

Thanks

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:04 pm

Guys please any help as I don't want to lose my application money

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:32 pm

I don't think that the Home office would give you a refund if you chose to withdraw the application (but I am happy to stand corrected). I would write in the covering letter that you made a mistake when applying and list what documents you are supplying instead.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:11 am

Thank you for your reply.

My understanding was that unless Home office has made a decision, you can withdraw and get a refund.

I have chosen the correct form I.e MN1 form for my 14 year old. It's just that one of the questions was incorrect. Therefore I will provide a covering letter explaining the situation.

But again the question stands are they going to refuse the application or are they going to consider?

Any thoughts from gurus or moderator please?

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:09 am

ashontherun wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:11 am
Thank you for your reply.

My understanding was that unless Home office has made a decision, you can withdraw and get a refund.

I have chosen the correct form I.e MN1 form for my 14 year old. It's just that one of the questions was incorrect. Therefore I will provide a covering letter explaining the situation.

But again the question stands are they going to refuse the application or are they going to consider?

Any thoughts from gurus or moderator please?

Thanks
A cover letter or note to correct some errors made by applicants on the form goes a long way in resolving issues by providing clarity to CW without having to cancel the application.
However, if you are more inclined to cancelling and doing up the form again if gives you peace of mind.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:38 am

Thank you AmazonianX for your reply. I have included a cover letter explaining the incorrectly answered questions and why I am not supplying the documents which were generated as a result of this mistake.

I have some further queries please:

1) For my child who turned 18 recently, I have applied for naturalisation using AN form.
- However, since he just turned 18, he does not have any correspondence / bills in his name to cover last 5 year residence in the UK

To show his 5 year residence, I have included Home Office Letters in his name from 2017, 2019 and 2021. Apart from that I don't have anything in his name as he is just over 18 now. Do I need to clarify this in the cover letter please?

2) Similarly for my child under 18, he does not have anything in his name aside from Home Office Letters which will cover last 5 year residence in the UK. Again, should I clarify this in a cover letter to caseworker please?

Kindly advise.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:45 am

Do you have letters from the schools your child attended in the last 5 years? That should do as they are educational establishments.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:49 am

ashontherun wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:38 am
Thank you AmazonianX for your reply. I have included a cover letter explaining the incorrectly answered questions and why I am not supplying the documents which were generated as a result of this mistake.

I have some further queries please:

1) For my child who turned 18 recently, I have applied for naturalisation using AN form.
- However, since he just turned 18, he does not have any correspondence / bills in his name to cover last 5 year residence in the UK

To show his 5 year residence, I have included Home Office Letters in his name from 2017, 2019 and 2021. Apart from that I don't have anything in his name as he is just over 18 now. Do I need to clarify this in the cover letter please?

2) Similarly for my child under 18, he does not have anything in his name aside from Home Office Letters which will cover last 5 year residence in the UK. Again, should I clarify this in a cover letter to caseworker please?

Kindly advise.
Why do you think these letters are needed?? They are NOT. For Citizenship, proof of residence is the passports if the applicant obtained ILR through the UK immigration route as you/family have given your previous posts.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ashontherun
India

Post by ashontherun » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:56 am

Thank you CR001 for your quick response :)

The reason I thought I have to provide is due to one of the items generated on the checklist.

I do have the passports covering the last 5 year residence in the UK for both of my children which it seems from your reply are sufficient enough to cover the residency in the UK.

Thank you once again - this forum is a treasure trove for all of us immigrants!!

Cheers