ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Petition for UK passport e-gates to recognise Irish passport cards

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ca.funke
Belgium

Petition for UK passport e-gates to recognise Irish passport cards

Post by ca.funke » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:24 pm

Although the UK continues to accept Irish passport cards following Brexit, the UK's airport e-gates still don't recognise them. An Irish friend created this UK parliamentary petition for the UK to start accepting Irish passport cards at its airports' e-gates:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/621950/

You can sign the petition if you're a British citizen or a UK resident. If you are neither of these, then you can ask friends who are British citizens or UK residents to sign it. The British government is obliged to give a written response when a parliamentary petition reaches 10,000 signatures and must debate it in parliament when it reaches 100,000 signatures. So signatures carry legal weight, unlike change.org etc.

G Dog
Ireland

Re: Petition for UK passport e-gates to recognise Irish passport cards

Post by G Dog » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:53 pm

The issue I have with this is that the Irish passport card is really only valid for travel within the EU as an identity document. Whilst it is possible to enter the UK by showing a passport card given the special travel relationship between Ireland and the UK, the passport card will not be accepted at egates as the UK is no longer part of the EU. I live in the UK and traveling backwards and forwards on an Irish passport or passport card has always been pretty rapid and hassle free.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Well even the Irish airports’ e-gates don’t recognise Irish passport cards…

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Post by james2005 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:15 pm

littlerr wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:03 pm
Well even the Irish airports’ e-gates don’t recognise Irish passport cards…

then what's the essence of the e-gates? Isn't to also enjoy the free movement under the EU regulations? i don't understand. Apparently, my Irish passport cannot work for me in Ireland. Ridiculous imo.

littlerr
Respected Guru
China

Post by littlerr » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:06 pm

They are supposed to work. But they don’t. In fact I formally requested an answer from the Border Management Unit in Dublin Airport last month and they said they should work. But when I travelled through the airport a few days later I found that they still don’t work.

To be honest there is hardly any waiting time in the EU queue for most time of the day anyway. Can’t say the same with UK airports though.

james2005
Mood:
Croatia

Post by james2005 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:40 am

littlerr wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:06 pm
They are supposed to work. But they don’t. In fact I formally requested an answer from the Border Management Unit in Dublin Airport last month and they said they should work. But when I travelled through the airport a few days later I found that they still don’t work.

To be honest there is hardly any waiting time in the EU queue for most time of the day anyway. Can’t say the same with UK airports though.
I was at the Dublin airport two mornings ago from Turkey. Could you believe that Irish and EU citizens still have to show their passports to the immigration officer on the Irish/EU window? I was shocked.