ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR SET(M) to British Citizenship: Questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

b1234567
Pakistan

ILR SET(M) to British Citizenship: Questions

Post by b1234567 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:51 am

Hi All,

My wife is due to attain her ILR towards the end of the month using the ILR Super Priority Service and god willing, we shouldn’t have any issues there.
I’m just getting ahead of the curve and preparing to submit an application for citizenship once she receives her ILR.

I’m a little confused with the referees.
I understand one has to be someone unrelated and of professional standing, for this I plan to use an accountant. But the other referee is throwing me off a little…can it just be a friend? A neighbour? Who of course meets the requirements as set out in the rules, i.e. is above 25, British citizen etc.

Thanks

alterhase58
Germany

Re: ILR SET(M) to British Citizenship: Questions

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:02 am

A referee could be a friend or neighbour, even the professional one, as long as they meet the requirements. You just state how you know them. You don't need to be involved with them in any kind of professional relationship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

b1234567
Pakistan

Post by b1234567 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:50 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:02 am
A referee could be a friend or neighbour, even the professional one, as long as they meet the requirements. You just state how you know them. You don't need to be involved with them in any kind of professional relationship.
Thank you, alterhase58.

b1234567
Pakistan

Re: How do I prove that I was here 3years ago?

Post by b1234567 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:08 am

Hi All,

I understand that as I am a British citizen, my wife does not need to wait a year to apply for her citizenship after receiving ILR.

I’m a little confused about having to be in the UK exactly ‘x’ amount of years to the day prior to submitting the application.

If I’m not mistaken, if you are the spouse of a BC then you have to have been present in the UK exactly 3 years to the day prior to the date of application…but how is this proved? How would they know if my wife was or wasn’t present and what proof is required to show this?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Shah1698
Member of Standing

Post by Shah1698 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:31 am

b1234567 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:08 am
Hi All,

I understand that as I am a British citizen, my wife does not need to wait a year to apply for her citizenship after receiving ILR.

I’m a little confused about having to be in the UK exactly ‘x’ amount of years to the day prior to submitting the application.

If I’m not mistaken, if you are the spouse of a BC then you have to have been present in the UK exactly 3 years to the day prior to the date of application…but how is this proved? How would they know if my wife was or wasn’t present and what proof is required to show this?

Passport with entry/exit stamps if she is non-EU citizen (who needed to stamp on entry to the UK)
Or
Employer letter (from EU or countries who use e-gates)
Shah

b1234567
Pakistan

Post by b1234567 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:06 am

Shah1698 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:31 am
b1234567 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:08 am
Hi All,

Passport with entry/exit stamps if she is non-EU citizen (who needed to stamp on entry to the UK)
Or
Employer letter (from EU or countries who use e-gates)
Thank you for your response Shah1698, however I’m still unclear.

My wife is a Pakistani passport holder, so she would have to submit a copy of her entire passport(s) to prove she hadn’t left the UK 3years prior to the date of application?

Have I understood this correctly? That a copy of the passport is the only required proof?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am

If her passport was stamped every time she entered and left the country, that is the proof you need.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

b1234567
Pakistan

Post by b1234567 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:01 pm

contorted_svy wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:40 am
If her passport was stamped every time she entered and left the country, that is the proof you need.
Understood, thank you contorted_svy.

b1234567
Pakistan

Naturalisation Timeline Query and Contact Info

Post by b1234567 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:53 am

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone knew whether naturalisation applications are actually taken on by a caseworker in the order that they are received or whether there was another premise for prioritisation? The reason I ask is because from the naturalisation timeline thread, there’s a real mix of dates and there’s a number of people who have applied after me who have received responses already and a lot of people who applied beforehand who still haven’t heard back. It’s just a bit confusing and makes me wonder why? I applied for naturalisation for my wife on 3rd September with docs being submitted on IDV app on 13th September but still no response for what is a fairly straightforward case and I triple-checked all requested documents were present.

I know the service timeframe says within six months, but does anyone know of a contact email address/phone number where one might be able to ask for an update?

Thanks all.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation Timeline Query and Contact Info

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:08 am

b1234567 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:53 am

I know the service timeframe says within six months, but does anyone know of a contact email address/phone number where one might be able to ask for an update?

Thanks all.
UKVI is well-known for NOT giving useful updates to these inquiries.

Don't think anyone here knows what system they are working to - suffice to guess that it must be impossible to process and approve applications in the order they were received, because every application will be different. There's no official definition of what a straightforward application is.

You won't get any kind of personal advice before the 6 months is up, if at all. There are some email addresses you can try. The telephone helpline is outsourced to a third party and not staffed by UKVI caseworkers ...

Email addresses here: british-citizenship/nationality-enquires-t330909.html
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

b1234567
Pakistan

Re: Naturalisation Timeline Query and Contact Info

Post by b1234567 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:40 pm

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:08 am
b1234567 wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:53 am

Thanks all.
UKVI is well-known for NOT giving useful updates to these inquiries.

Don't think anyone here knows what system they are working to - suffice to guess that it must be impossible to process and approve applications in the order they were received, because every application will be different. There's no official definition of what a straightforward application is.

You won't get any kind of personal advice before the 6 months is up, if at all. There are some email addresses you can try. The telephone helpline is outsourced to a third party and not staffed by UKVI caseworkers ...

Email addresses here: british-citizenship/nationality-enquires-t330909.html
Thanks for your response and the info provided.
If it’s free to contact them I think it’s worth a shot. But I guess you’re right, I’m not holding my breath for any sort of useful response.

b1234567
Pakistan

Time taken to send confirm identity email for passport?

Post by b1234567 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for the nominated person to receive the confirm identity email when applying for your first British passport after naturalisation? The person I have asked says they haven’t received anything despite it now being three days..?

Should I try someone else?

Bash_
Syria

Re: Time taken to send confirm identity email for passport?

Post by Bash_ » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am

b1234567 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am
Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes for the nominated person to receive the confirm identity email when applying for your first British passport after naturalisation? The person I have asked says they haven’t received anything despite it now being three days..?

should be immediate..verify you put the right email and maybe let them check the spam folder..

b1234567
Pakistan

Re: Time taken to send confirm identity email for passport?

Post by b1234567 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:13 am

Bash_ wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:21 am
b1234567 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:05 am
Hi,

should be immediate..verify you put the right email and maybe let them check the spam folder..
Okay I’ll try that, thanks Bash.