ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship for a Child born abroad on FLR(FP)

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Dali83

Citizenship for a Child born abroad on FLR(FP)

Post by Dali83 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:20 pm

Dear All,

I want some advice on whether there is any route for my child to be registered/applied to become a British Citizen.

Child born abroad while I had ILR and 2 months after my child was born I did my Ceremony to become British (Oct child born and I became British in December same year)

My child has been in the UK since 2014 and now on FLR (FP) along with my wife. She is 9 year old now and came to the UK when he was 4 5 months old.

Could I make any application for my child to become British somehow as I am not going to afford to keep paying the visa fees for both as they are on 10 years route.

Thanks a lot.

Dalia

secret.simon

Re: Citizenship for a Child born abroad on FLR(FP)

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:13 pm

Children born abroad follow the immigration pathway of their second/less-privileged parent and are eligible for ILR with the second parent.They can then be registered as a British citizen.

Had the child been born in the UK while you were on ILR, the child would have been born a British citizen.

As there are a few years to go for the various immigration and naturalisation applications, can you not put plans in place to save money, as the upcoming expense is known?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Dali83

Post by Dali83 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:38 pm

Thank you for your reply,

When the fees were reasonable couple of years ago (I paid nearly £4k 2 years ago), I was able to but no to fork out nearly £6k is not possible for both.

The sad thing is that they did a mistake when calculating my income before my wife's visa was processed and hence it got delayed therefore my child birth was abroad.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:35 pm

As both your wife and child are on the FLR(FP) pathway anyway, you can make a fee waiver request before making their FLR(FP) applications. You may get either a full or a partial fee waiver.

You will still need to save for the ILR and naturalisation fees, for which there is no fee waiver.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.