ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spain Visa - Help Needed !!!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sudeep_n

Spain Visa - Help Needed !!!

Post by sudeep_n » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:37 pm

I am planning to visit Spain (Malaga) from 22nd Jan to 26th Jan.

I and our kid are UK passport holders. My spouse is Indian passport.

We can apply for EU dependent visa for my wife.

However, Spanish embassy doesnt accept the marraige certificate as it has not been legalised. Legalisation takes 3-4 months minimum.

We are not able to apply tourist visa in my wife's name as she is homeworker and can't get employment certificate etc. And because also that I am not applying for visa as I am UK citiizen.

What's the best way to deal with this situation.

Thanks in advance.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:05 pm

Technically the Spanish embassy shouldn't insist on your wife being employed when applying for a Schengen visa, although from experience I know they do. As a British Passport holder you don't have to pay for
a Schengen visa for your wife, so it may be worth applying and see how you get on.

sudeep_n

Post by sudeep_n » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Casa wrote:Technically the Spanish embassy shouldn't insist on your wife being employed when applying for a Schengen visa, although from experience I know they do. As a British Passport holder you don't have to pay for
a Schengen visa for your wife, so it may be worth applying and see how you get on.
Thanks for your reply.

Just to clarify - she did actually apply for Schengen visa at the Spanish embassy.

They are insisting that
a) either the marraige certificate must be legalised as per the Hague convention OR
b) UK residence permit, stating family member of an EEA/EU national, affixed in the applicant’s passport.

Unfortunately though we have original marraige certificate they won't accept that unless legalised as it was issued in India. And the ILR does not indicate that she is family member of EU national as when we obtained ILR, I wasn't UK national.

The alternative the Spanish embassy are suggesting is to apply for tourist visa for the wife. But she is not employed so can't provide those set of documents.

We've booked flights, accomodation all fully paid for. Not sure how to go from here.

sudeep_n

Post by sudeep_n » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:45 pm

Duplicate
Last edited by sudeep_n on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:51 pm

sudeep_n wrote:a) either the marraige certificate must be legalised as per the Hague convention OR
b) UK residence permit, stating family member of an EEA/EU national, affixed in the applicant’s passport.
If she has ILR she cannot have a UK residence permit.

sudeep_n

Post by sudeep_n » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:17 pm

86ti wrote:
sudeep_n wrote:a) either the marraige certificate must be legalised as per the Hague convention OR
If she has ILR she cannot have a UK residence permit.
That's the issue. They wont take original marraige certificate unless legalised. And she can't have a UK residence permit.

sudeep_n

Post by sudeep_n » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:57 pm

I've couple of questions:

a) would it help if we get an observation regarding change of surname to be entered in her existing passport by Indian embassy

b) can we instead try to get visa from French embassy. What would be the consequences of this. She had previously (about an year ago got Schengen Visa from French embassy but never travelled France or other Schengen countries since the travel plan got cancelled due to illness.