ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation questions

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Naturalisation questions

Post by sky_rise » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm

Dear Members,

Thank you for being so helpful. My partner just obtained her ILR via LR route (we are also married, I am a BC, and she was my dependent for the past 5 years.)

I have a few questions:

1. After she submits online application for naturalisation and provides fingerprints, is she free to travel abroad on her current passport?
2. Once naturalisation application is approved, is there a specific timeline ( or time limit) by when does she need to arrange for an in person ceremony?
3. When application is approved, do you get notified via post or email? (might be away)
4. Because she naturalised on the basis of 10 years, but going to apply for naturalisation straight away, do we count back 3 years (as married to a BC) or 5 years back for being in the UK on the same date?
5. What do we need to submit on behalf of two referees in the application form?

thank you!
"Ask me, and I shall provide it"

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Naturalisation questions

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 am

sky_rise wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm
Dear Members,

Thank you for being so helpful. My partner just obtained her ILR via LR route (we are also married, I am a BC, and she was my dependent for the past 5 years.)

I have a few questions:

1. After she submits online application for naturalisation and provides fingerprints, is she free to travel abroad on her current passport?
Yes.
2. Once naturalisation application is approved, is there a specific timeline ( or time limit) by when does she need to arrange for an in person ceremony?
Review: https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies - if arranging a private ceremony (additional fee) can be done normally at short notice.
3. When application is approved, do you get notified via post or email? (might be away)
It seems email only these days, though the council may send ceremony details by post
4. Because she naturalised on the basis of 10 years, but going to apply for naturalisation straight away, do we count back 3 years (as married to a BC) or 5 years back for being in the UK on the same date?
The only route to naturalisation is ILR, irrespective on which path that was gained. As spouse of a Brit citizen she only needs three years.
Review the form: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

thank you!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sky_rise » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:04 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:12 am
sky_rise wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:07 pm
Dear Members,

I have a few questions:

Yes.
Review: https://www.gov.uk/citizenship-ceremonies - if arranging a private ceremony (additional fee) can be done normally at short notice.
It seems email only these days, though the council may send ceremony details by post
The only route to naturalisation is ILR, irrespective on which path that was gained. As spouse of a Brit citizen she only needs three years.
Review the form: https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... on_MN1.pdf

thank you!
thank you!

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sky_rise » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:40 pm

What company does the delivery of ILR brps nowadays? Used to be DX?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:20 pm

sky_rise wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:40 pm
What company does the delivery of ILR brps nowadays? Used to be DX?
TNT
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sky_rise » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am

Hi, thank you all for the help above. I have another question.

Today we have submitted my wife's naturalisation application, and received an email asking us to wait until it is decided whether she can use IDV App or go to the appointment. It says 7-10 working days waiting period. A few questions:

0. Does it really take that long to decide whether we can use the app or not?
1. Can we just decide to go in person as usual, to avoid any glitches/problems etc., and not wait for them to make a choice?
2. If we are still asked to use an app, can we use it from outside the UK (there is a chance we need to be abroad for some time before we can submit biometrics)?
3. Two referee forms for naturalisation - can they be signed and sent back to us digitally/via pdf?

Thanks!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:42 am

sky_rise wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am
Hi, thank you all for the help above. I have another question.

Today we have submitted my wife's naturalisation application, and received an email asking us to wait until it is decided whether she can use IDV App or go to the appointment. It says 7-10 working days waiting period. A few questions:

0. Does it really take that long to decide whether we can use the app or not? I don't think anyone except them can tell... you can only wait
1. Can we just decide to go in person as usual, to avoid any glitches/problems etc., and not wait for them to make a choice? I think you need to wait for their instructions
2. If we are still asked to use an app, can we use it from outside the UK (there is a chance we need to be abroad for some time before we can submit biometrics)? Another user had the same query, but I personally don't know
3. Two referee forms for naturalisation - can they be signed and sent back to us digitally/via pdf? Yes

Thanks!
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

kamoe
European Union

Post by kamoe » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:57 pm

sky_rise wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:19 am
0. Does it really take that long to decide whether we can use the app or not?
7-10 working days is not that long. Mine took 7 calendar days. Not a big deal in the great scheme of things.
1. Can we just decide to go in person as usual, to avoid any glitches/problems etc., and not wait for them to make a choice?
No. Just follow the instructions; do not convolute your process unnecessarily. Trying to take shortcuts might backfire.
2. If we are still asked to use an app, can we use it from outside the UK (there is a chance we need to be abroad for some time before we can submit biometrics)?
There is only one way to know, isn't it. It's up to you to risk it. You might want to prioritise finishing your application/doing biometrics before traveling abroad.
3. Two referee forms for naturalisation - can they be signed and sent back to us digitally/via pdf?
Yes. See this post.
My posts express what I believe are the facts, based on the best of my knowledge, about the topics discussed in this forum. They do not constitute immigration advice.

sky_rise
Member of Standing
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by sky_rise » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:18 pm

thank you all. waiting to hear from the UKVI on their decision for biometrics.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:39 pm

Hi, wondering if you could help, please.
You were previously on tier 1 entrepreneur right? Were you still running a business when you applied for citizenship? Thank you

paranoidman
Newly Registered
American Samoa

Post by paranoidman » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:05 pm

I just applied for citizenship last week and was previously on Tier 1 Entrepreneur, and got the 2-year extension too (although I obtained my ILR through the 10-year route)....I doubt it matters whether you're still running the business or not once you have your ILR (this is just my opinion of course).

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:45 pm

paranoidman wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:05 pm
I just applied for citizenship last week and was previously on Tier 1 Entrepreneur, and got the 2-year extension too (although I obtained my ILR through the 10-year route)....I doubt it matters whether you're still running the business or not once you have your ILR (this is just my opinion of course).
Correct - once you are on ILR (or EU Settled Status ILR) you are "free from immigration time restrictions", your route to ILR is not relevant in the context.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

isla87
Wales

Post by isla87 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:45 pm

paranoidman wrote:
Thank you.
Are you still running that business?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:22 am

isla87 wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:45 pm
paranoidman wrote:
Thank you.
Are you still running that business?
This is irrelevant to citizenship applications. Unsure why you persist in asking and tagging onto other topics
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.