ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

marrying in the UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Mrsrainbow143

marrying in the UK

Post by Mrsrainbow143 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Hi all my friend is romanian national living in UK with pre settled status. she met her girlfriend and it’s filipina. but the filipina girlfriend holding FLR M visa. but she is currently on process of divorce process with her husband due to domestic violence. by that time her visa here in uk finish Janury 2023. divorce takes 6 months and they assume they can get the divorce paper by December 2023. they want to know if they are allowed to get married here in UK once she got her divorce paper. and my romanian friend will take her to romania if so what will be the visa she need to apply after they get married in uk.
or she need to go back first in philippines to get married there? they are hoping they can get married here in uk.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: marrying in the UK

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:02 pm

I don't see why she can't get married in the UK. Marriage and immigration are 2 different things however.

Most likely she will be allowed to marry. She just has to go to the Registrar Office and fill the paperwork there. They may inform the Home Office about it but at the end of the day, they will let her marry. However, that marriage doesn't automatically translate in her getting the right to stay in the UK. Other conditions apply on top of that.

secret.simon

Re: marrying in the UK

Post by secret.simon » Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:19 pm

Mrsrainbow143 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:08 pm
she is currently on process of divorce process with her husband due to domestic violence.
If she can prove domestic violence, she could apply for ILR directly. She should contact charities that support victims of domestic violence for more advice on that point.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.