ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dependents ILR to naturalization

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

myilr83
United Kingdom

Naturalization query for 3 years route

Post by myilr83 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:56 pm

Dear Team, I am seeking clarity on the eligibility criteria for naturalization. I received ILR upon completing 3 years of residence via 3-year GTV route. I would complete 5 years of UK residence which includes 2 years on ILR by Sept 2023. Will this make me eligible for naturalization in Sept 2023? Based on the home office website it wasn't clear if an additional 1 year on ILR after 5 years of residence is required pushing the naturalization eligibility to Sept 2024. Any pointers to resources or advice would be really helpful.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Naturalization query for 3 years route

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:11 pm

I would complete 5 years of UK residence which includes 2 years on ILR by Sept 2023. Will this make me eligible for naturalization in Sept 2023?
Yes.
Based on the home office website it wasn't clear if an additional 1 year on ILR after 5 years of residence is required pushing the naturalization eligibility to Sept 2024.
For Citizenship, you need 5 years residence, which MUST include 1 year on ILR if you are not married to a British citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

myilr83
United Kingdom

Post by myilr83 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:29 am

For Citizenship, you need 5 years residence, which MUST include 1 year on ILR if you are not married to a British citizen.
That's great information CR001. In this scenario, could my spouse and child apply for citizenship upon completing 5 years on PBS dependent visas (3 years on Tier-2 + 2 years on GTV) without needing an ILR? Provided I received naturalization/citizenship prior.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:31 am

ILR is mandatory before a person can apply for citizenship. There is no shortcut route to citizenship for your dependents regardless of your status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

myilr83
United Kingdom

Dependents ILR to naturalization

Post by myilr83 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 pm

Dear Team,
Happy new year. You guy's answered my ILR and naturalization-related queries last year, thank you.

This query is an add-on to one of the prior queries.

I understand that naturalization eligibility would require dependents to be on ILR. In this scenario, if I receive naturalization and my dependents (both wife and child) receive ILR upon completing 5 years in the UK:
1) can my spouse apply for naturalization straight away?
2) can my child also apply for naturalization on the same application as the spouse?

Based on reading the below article it's possible and wanted to validate the same to plan for it. Please advice.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-citizenship-spouse
https://www.gov.uk/check-british-citize ... -stateless

Thank you

secret.simon

Re: Dependents ILR to naturalization

Post by secret.simon » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:48 pm

myilr83 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 pm
if I receive naturalization...
1) can my spouse apply for naturalization straight away?
Yes, provided you have attended the citizenship ceremony and got the naturalisation certificate.

Mere approval of application does not mean that you have been naturalised.
myilr83 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:28 pm
2) can my child also apply for naturalization on the same application as the spouse?
Yes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

myilr83
United Kingdom

Re: Dependents ILR to naturalization

Post by myilr83 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:12 am

Thanks Simon, clear enough.