ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EEA national - Retention of the right of residence.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

asantos
Newly Registered

Non-EEA national - Retention of the right of residence.

Post by asantos » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Hi there,

I will try to keep it short and easy (if possible).

1 - I am a non-EEA and married an EEA national in 6th December 2004.
2 - I received a residency card stamped on my passport which expires in February 2010.
3 - We are now divorced. Procedures started in 12th December 2007 and Decree absolute was issued in 9th July 2008.
4 - We lived together in the UK for the entire duration of the marriage. Precisely moved in together in May 2004.
5 - We both have been always employed in the UK and never sought for public funds assistance.

Now, I've read that based in the 2006 regulations I can exercise "treaty rights", however the HO do not seem to coherent when informing via the helpline. I have 2 very different informations, one saying that I can exercise 'treaty rights' and other saying that I have to contact immigration immediately because I am here ilegally!

Any help? I want to know waht to do to clarify any doubts that I can leave and carry on working in the UK, fly away on business or holiday and have the right papers to show when I am arriving back in the UK.

Many thanks,
Alex

vinny

Post by vinny » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:28 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

asantos
Newly Registered

Non-EEA national - Retention of the right of r

Post by asantos » Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi Vinny,

Thanks for that. I had already printed the regulations, read it through and confirmed once again that I am within my rights.
I contacted HO again today and they confirmed that I am right exercising 'treaty rights' and would have to deal with immigration at the board control when time comes to that.
They also told me to send an email to: ukpublicenquires@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk and send a question regarding my case to obtain their positive answer to be used as a backup papaer when I am returning to the country.

I will post here when it happens to let you all know the outcome.

Best regards,
Alex