ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Visitor Visa query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Visitor Visa query

Post by BR84 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi everyone,

My mum's visa application was refused for two reasons:

1 - The letter says that she hasn't demonstrated the source of the money credited into her account, however, the reviewer seems to have made an error converting the Iranian Rials into GBP.

The money deposited to her account was 750,000,000 which is about 2,000 pounds but the reviewer has calculated it as 15,000 pounds which is 7.5 times more and it is incorrect. The money was supposed to be for her flight tickets and spending money. I assume they have used the rate from an online currency exchange website, and the majority of them have an incorrect rate - only the companies that are based in Iran or doing the actual exchange have the correct rate.
So one pound is 370,000 IRR but online it's 49,000 IRR which is incorrect.
What can we submit as part of her new application, so they use the correct rate? I was thinking to do a few screenshots of the websites that have the correct rate. would that be enough?

2- They've said they're not sure she's going back to Iran as she didn't prove she has any family ties. it's not like here that we can get the electoral registry to show who lives here. All my three siblings and stepdad live in Iran - would submitting their passport copies suffice?

Also, how can I contact them and tell them they've made an error in converting the IRR to GBP? apparently, we can't appeal either, not sure why not. It's very frustrating.

We wanted my mum to come and see my LG who was born two years ago and hasn't seen any of my family members!

My mum got a visa 8 years ago and she only stayed for 4 weeks, and we didn't have these problems. :(

Thanks everyone and sorry for the long post.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Visitor Visa query

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:00 pm

Ukvi uses oanda.com for exchange rate conversion. You can't tell them what to use to suit you

If she did not subnitevdidecne of strong ties to her home country, such as family, employment, income, property etc, then the refusal is correct.

Also, who depostird the money and how soon before she applied for a visa?? Large deposits shortly before applying for a visa is a red flag.

Visiotr visa haven't had appeal rights for a long time.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:06 pm

CR001 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:00 pm
Ukvi uses oanda.com for exchange rate conversion. You can't tell them what to use to suit you

If she did not subnitevdidecne of strong ties to her home country, such as family, employment, income, property etc, then the refusal is correct.

Also, who depostird the money and how soon before she applied for a visa?? Large deposits shortly before applying for a visa is a red flag.

Visiotr visa haven't had appeal rights for a long time.
Thanks for your reply.

The money was sent to her account by my stepdad so she could get the flight tickets as we thought she was going to get the visa within three weeks as that's how long it took last time.

The exchange rate from IRR to GBP on oanda.com is 7.5 times more than it actually is 😞

I don't really know what to do. Would there be a point in applying again? I've asked my mum to take her bank statement to an exchange office and ask them put the equivalent of the transactions in pounds.

Not sure what else I can do.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:48 pm

BR84 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:06 pm
I've asked my mum to take her bank statement to an exchange office and ask them put the equivalent of the transactions in pounds.
That may not be relevant. The Home Office uses the exchange rate reported by Oanda.

Other members have reported applying for visit visas from Iran. Perhaps some of them may be able to advise you on how to present the matter of differing exchange rates.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:03 am

BR84 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:06 pm
I don't really know what to do. Would there be a point in applying again? I've asked my mum to take her bank statement to an exchange office and ask them put the equivalent of the transactions in pounds.
You should wait a reasonable amount of time to apply again, I would say a few months. If you rush to make another application the chances of being rejected increase considerably.

Ties to the country are related to jobs, properties, businesses, etc. of the applicant in the country of origin, it is not related to family members living with her or in the same country. Marriage (certificate) could be relevant though.

It seems the caseworker saw that deposit as an attempt to make up the bank statements for the purpose of the visa application. That's something some applicants are usually tempted to do but it has been always advised to avoid doing so.

I suspect the currency exchange thing in Iran is similar than in Venezuela. In fact, oanda.com has two conversion rates for the country and both are not real, the conversion in the country is defined by a "street" rate. But here is where the application form and the invitation letter play a role. The form asks you the reasons why you're financially supporting your mother, you can (briefly) mention this there for the caseworker to understand the balance. As far as I remember this question is asked more than once during the online application.

Keep the bank statements in the currency they are issued, don't try to convert to GBP. As said, these things need to be succinctly explained in the application.

These applications are taking more than three weeks, I think the standard for this one is six weeks. In fact, the VFS global website warns that applications are taking longer than usual. If you take a quick look at timescales on this forum will also give you an idea.

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm

Thanks, I'm really confused why they're even looking at her bank statements as we sent ours and also mentioned in the invitation letter that we're supporting her. And the reviewer has already said they're happy we can do so.

Just to add to the confusion, she has lended the money to her friend now, so if we apply again now the money won't be in her account but how can we explain that her friend needed some money and she's returning it in a couple of weeks time.

The currency rate that people use is a black market rate Which is much lower.

As you suggested we might have to wait till next year and apply again.

UKVI really need to update their rates. I suppose it works for those supporting themselves when traveling. Based on the oanda rates they have much more money that they actually do.

Thanks again

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks, I'm really confused why they're even looking at her bank statements as we sent ours and also mentioned in the invitation letter that we're supporting her. And the reviewer has already said they're happy we can do so.
Your documents carry substantially less weight for her application. It is her circumstances in her home country that matter much more (financial, employment, property, family).
Just to add to the confusion, she has lended the money to her friend now, so if we apply again now the money won't be in her account but how can we explain that her friend needed some money and she's returning it in a couple of weeks time.
This would be completely irrelevant and the frequent movement of money is not a good sign at all.
The currency rate that people use is a black market rate Which is much lower.
UKVI really need to update their rates. I suppose it works for those supporting themselves when traveling. Based on the oanda rates they have much more money that they actually do.
UKVI has used oanda.com for years and that is their choice as a verified rate service. The rate which you get on the black market is irrelevant.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm

We've decided to apply again, but rather than convincing them that it's £2000 and not £15k we're just going to say she owed the money to someone, so my step dad gave it to her to clear her debt.

I don't like lying on the application but I just don't know how I can prove it's her ticket and spending money and it's only £2k.

Didn't have this problem last time but that was pre sanctions.

Hopefully she gets the visa.
Thanks everyone

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:25 am

BR84 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm
We've decided to apply again, but rather than convincing them that it's £2000 and not £15k we're just going to say she owed the money to someone, so my step dad gave it to her to clear her debt.

I don't like lying on the application but I just don't know how I can prove it's her ticket and spending money and it's only £2k.

Didn't have this problem last time but that was pre sanctions.

Hopefully she gets the visa.
Thanks everyone
Normally, I'm the very positive guy. But in this case, I'd be very surprised if you don't get the same result.
The fact that you've used the sudden burst of money in her account, just a few months to her application raises all kinds of flags.

What you guys should have done was to use your step-dad's account as a sponsor. There's never a crime in sponsoring your wife. Her account would've been the buffer and yours if you wanted to drop that in as well.

You can't do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result.

My advise, give it 6-8 months and give it another good go.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:36 am

BR84 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:10 pm

I strongly suggest you do NOT lie. UKVI know more about you and your mother now and trying to lie your way out of this could very well result in a refusal with a ban on future visas for 10 years due to using deception.

I agree with user Ticktack. You created this issue unfortunately and there is no easy way now to reverse that, especially not with a lie.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:45 pm

As I mentioned before the money credited to her account by my stepdad and it's £2k and not £15k so I don't see how we created this issue. She got the money so she could buy the ticket as soon as she got her visa :(

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:02 pm

BR84 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:45 pm
As I mentioned before the money credited to her account by my stepdad and it's £2k and not £15k so I don't see how we created this issue. She got the money so she could buy the ticket as soon as she got her visa :(
No one is judging you. Just telling you how things work. It doesn't matter what the money was for. £200 unexplained would probably still trigger the same refusal.

Simply put, your documents speak for you. The HO wouldn't call your mum and ask what the money was for.
They make their judgment based of the evidence before them.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:48 pm

you guys are right, I shouldn't lie on the application. I just remembered I emailed them after receiving the refusal and told them what the money is for. I haven't heard from them but if I lie and they all of a sudden read my email then they'd ban her.

We could use my stepdad's bank statements but his bank statement will show that the money was transferred from his account, so we'll have the same problem explaining how much it actually is and what it is for.

I think we're just gonna wait till next summer.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:42 pm

BR84 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:48 pm
you guys are right, I shouldn't lie on the application. I just remembered I emailed them after receiving the refusal and told them what the money is for. I haven't heard from them but if I lie and they all of a sudden read my email then they'd ban her.

We could use my stepdad's bank statements but his bank statement will show that the money was transferred from his account, so we'll have the same problem explaining how much it actually is and what it is for.

I think we're just gonna wait till next summer.
Don't be in a rush for another application and appear desperate and once applicant start getting refusal, it's a downhill road. Be patient and give it minimum 6months before reapplying.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:22 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:03 am
You should wait a reasonable amount of time to apply again, I would say a few months. If you rush to make another application the chances of being rejected increase considerably.
BR84 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:32 pm
You were advised to wait, you acknowledged that but then decided to rush and make another application. Don't expect a very different outcome, but let's see how it goes.
BR84 wrote:
Didn't have this problem last time but that was pre sanctions
This has nothing to do with sanctions or the exchange control in Iran. Venezuela has been in an exchange control for 22 years now, it is also sanctioned and even been in a legal dispute with the UK in the last few years. On top of that, the two exchange rates showed on oanda.com are unreal (there are only two or three countries showing the same "mess"), but still the HO approves visitor visas for people from the country.

It is not the caseworker's problem the situation in our countries of origin. It is the way how you follow the instructions to fill the application out and submit the required supporting documents in a succint manner. One thing I always advised is to put yourself in the shoes of the caseworker and imagine how you would feel when processing a messy application despite everything is clearly explained online (for someone proficient in English).

BR84
Newly Registered
Iran

Post by BR84 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:11 pm

lolo2 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:22 pm
lolo2 wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:03 am
BR84 wrote:
You were advised to wait, you acknowledged that but then decided to rush and make another application. Don't expect a very different outcome, but let's see how it goes.
BR84 wrote:
Didn't have this problem last time but that was pre sanctions
This has nothing to do with sanctions or the exchange control in Iran. Venezuela has been in an exchange control for 22 years now, it is also sanctioned and even been in a legal dispute with the UK in the last few years. On top of that, the two exchange rates showed on oanda.com are unreal (there are only two or three countries showing the same "mess"), but still the HO approves visitor visas for people from the country.

It is not the caseworker's problem the situation in our countries of origin. It is the way how you follow the instructions to fill the application out and submit the required supporting documents in a succint manner. One thing I always advised is to put yourself in the shoes of the caseworker and imagine how you would feel when processing a messy application despite everything is clearly explained online (for someone proficient in English).
We haven't rushed to apply again - as I said we will wait for another few months. 6 months from the date of the previous application.

Also, as I mentioned before I did say in the application my step dad has given my mum £2k but the case worker thought that is £15k! I guess I should have just written the value in Rial rather than converting it into pounds, then he/she would have known 750,000,000 Rial was from my step dad. I didn't think they use a different rate.

I believe it is a very straight forward application, and next time I'm just going to write everything in Rial so the case worker doesn't get confused.