ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Confusing after get Returning Resident Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ktann
Newly Registered
Singapore

Confusing after get Returning Resident Visa

Post by ktann » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:19 pm

hi, I need help here. I have just granted a Returning Resident Visa and asked to collect my BRP at designted post office. On the letter, it says my BRP has valid date until xx june 2023(which is the same date as my passport expiry date). May i know does it mean i can only stay in uk until the expiry date? what shall i apply after this date in order to continue to stay and work in UK? i should have renewed my passport before applying RRV. it was my mistake. thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Confusing after get Returning Resident Visa

Post by Ticktack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:29 pm

ktann wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:19 pm
hi, I need help here. I have just granted a Returning Resident Visa and asked to collect my BRP at designted post office. On the letter, it says my BRP has valid date until xx june 2023(which is the same date as my passport expiry date). May i know does it mean i can only stay in uk until the expiry date? what shall i apply after this date in order to continue to stay and work in UK? i should have renewed my passport before applying RRV. it was my mistake. thanks.
You got this visa because you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK. This doesn't change even if BRP expires. You'd just have to apply for a new one.
All BRP's would be expiring in 31st December, 2024 anyway. HO seems to be going digital.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

ktann
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by ktann » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:10 pm

May i know what documents do I need to attach when I renew my BRP after i get my new passport?
Am I right I can't travel out of UK if my BRP expired?
Thanks.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:21 pm

ktann wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:10 pm
May i know what documents do I need to attach when I renew my BRP after i get my new passport?
Am I right I can't travel out of UK if my BRP expired?
Thanks.
You will need to provide the following documents when applying for a BRP replacement:

Proof of identity (e.g. passport)
Proof of your continuous residence in the UK (this only applies if you were granted ILR more than 2 years ago) – suitable evidence may include council tax letters, utility bills, or a letter from your employer
Passport photos
Current BRP
Evidence of name change (if appropriate)
The above list is by no means exhaustive. You will be given a full list of documents to provide when you complete the application form.

Yes you can't travel because you need the BRP to reenter the country.

ktann
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by ktann » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.
i was granted ILR about 18 years ago. May be difficult to find all documents for the past 18 years. Will there be a problem? Can i use bank statements?

ktann
Newly Registered
Singapore

Post by ktann » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:39 pm

i was granted ILR about 18 years ago. May be difficult to find all documents for the past 18 years. Will there be a problem? Can i use bank statements?

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:47 am

ktann wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:39 pm
You don't need 18 years of paperwork. If your passport gets stamped anytime you enter the UK, that should suffice for residency requirements.

You only need to prove that you've lived here for the last 5 years and 3 years (if married to a Brit). You also need to be present on the day 5 years or 3 years previously depending on what applies to you.

Of course you don't exceed staying out of the country for too long in these periods, and 90 days in the last 1 year.
Applicants who want to apply for naturalisation as a British citizen must demonstrate that:

they are over 18 years old;
they are of good character and sound mind;
they have sufficient knowledge of English language and have passed a Life in the UK test;
they have not broken any immigration laws whilst in the UK;
they intend to make the UK their principal home;
they have spent less than 90 days outside of the UK in the last 12 months; and
they are settled in the UK and have been free from immigration control for at least 12 months unless married to a British citizen.
Applicants who want to apply for naturalisation as a British Citizen must also meet the residency requirement by demonstrating that:

they have lived in the UK for at least five years before the date of application; and
they have spent less than 450 days outside the UK during the five year period.
If an applicant is married or in a civil partnership with a British citizen, then the residency requirement is reduced. In this case, the applicant must demonstrate that:

they have lived in the UK for at least three years before the date of application; and
they have spent less than 270 days outside the UK during the three years.