ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of status in Ireland

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

juju29
Newly Registered

Change of status in Ireland

Post by juju29 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Hi there!!

I have been in Ireland as a student for almost 5 months now, and in a week I will receive my portuguese ID (and latter passport, as soon as i get the ID). My mother is portuguese and we have been trying for years to get me the citizenship. Now that I will have it, I will be considered an EU citizen right? So what do I have to do to change my status from student (non EU) to an EU citizen in Ireland? The portuguese consulate told me i should just go to immigration, let them know (take all docs, of course) and they would change it, just like that! But i think that sound a bit too easy... Couldn't find any info on the net! Can someone help??

Thanks a lot!!! :)

Darkhorse

Re: Change of status in Ireland

Post by Darkhorse » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:40 am

juju29 wrote:Hi there!!

I have been in Ireland as a student for almost 5 months now, and in a week I will receive my portuguese ID (and latter passport, as soon as i get the ID). My mother is portuguese and we have been trying for years to get me the citizenship. Now that I will have it, I will be considered an EU citizen right? So what do I have to do to change my status from student (non EU) to an EU citizen in Ireland? The portuguese consulate told me i should just go to immigration, let them know (take all docs, of course) and they would change it, just like that! But i think that sound a bit too easy... Couldn't find any info on the net! Can someone help??

Thanks a lot!!! :)
your consulate is correct, you just need to return your document to immigration office. You automatically permanent resident in Ireland. There is no need to change status etc. Any EU citizen is permanent resident in other EU member state

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Change of status in Ireland

Post by Ben » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:11 am

Darkhorse wrote:your consulate is correct, you just need to return your document to immigration office. You automatically permanent resident in Ireland. There is no need to change status etc. Any EU citizen is permanent resident in other EU member state
Not quite. Any EU citizen is not immediately a permanent resident in another EU Member State. However, any EU citizen has the right to study and/or work in any other Member State, as if he were a citizen of that Member State.

I agree though, it might be an idea to visit your local GNIB office with your Stamp 2 card and non-EU passport, together with your Portuguese ID card. I'm not sure what the GNIB do in cases such as yours, but frankly, that's their problem, not yours.

Note also that as an EU citizen you are not required to register your presence in the State with the GNIB, nor are you issued with any form of registration certificate or residence card.