ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

National Insurance applying after nearly 5 years

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

gg234

National Insurance applying after nearly 5 years

Post by gg234 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Hi Guys,

I am working for a company for the last 5 year on WP and my employer is paying tax and NI wiithout fail i have all my p60 forms but all these years i have not applied for National Insurance number now i am planning to apply NI and after that ILR.All these years my tax and NI is going to emergency tax i believe.

Is it ok if i apply my NI number now and apply for my ILR.

Thanks for your help

Best Regards
Sridhar

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:26 pm

The main issue UKBA would have is non-payment of NI. Given yours was being payed by employer (as part of PAYE presumably) and you have all the evidence for this then you should have no issues, even though contributions were going to a temporary number.

Getting a real NI number to replace your temporary one is relatively straight forward but does typically require a trip to the jobcenter for interview/document check.

dnicky
Member of Standing

Post by dnicky » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm

This seems strange in that you did not apply for NI during your 5 years of work/stay in the UK. Was it sheer ignorance or was there any specific reason not to apply for one earlier?

Farooqp
Newly Registered

Post by Farooqp » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:54 am

I had a similar experience. My employer paid NI from my salary using a temporary NI number for 1 year. It was company's accountant fault not to inform me about this as I was new in the country at that time and had no idea about rules.

When I finally applied for NI no, I was told by job center that my previous contributions will automatically be linked with new NI no and I don't need to do anything. However, i intend to confirm this by calling job center before I apply for ILR in a year's time.