ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Application - Spouse Less than 5 years

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sdseely
Newly Registered
United States of America

ILR Application - Spouse Less than 5 years

Post by sdseely » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:39 pm

Hi all,

I hope that someone might be able to help me with this unusual situation.

I am currently applying for ILR after 5 years residency. I entered the UK on my first Tier 2 visa on 1 October 2017 and my current Tier 2 visa (and BRP) expires 14 October 2022.

My spouse has always been included as a dependent on my visa, and so his current dependent visa also expires 14 October 2022. However, due to family caring responsibilities, he did not enter the UK until 26 January 2018 (his initial entry clearance is 8 January 2018).

I am trying to figure out whether to include him as a dependent on my ILR application (although this will be 2 months earlier than his 4 years and 11 months) or whether we need to apply for a spousal visa extension to cover the 2 month gap between my 5-year eligibility and his.

It seems rather ridiculous to apply for an extra 2-year visa for him just to cover 2 months (seeing as he would be eligible to apply 28 days before the entry clearance on 8 Jan)--especially as the guidance says that it can take up to 8 weeks to process the application. Also, seeing as the ILR can take up to 6 months and our current immigration status would be protected by Section 3C in the meantime, he would become unquestionably eligible within that timeframe.

On the Home Office website (https://www.gov.uk/indefinite-leave-to-remain-family), it states that submitting an ILR application in advance of the 4 year 11 month period *may* cause the application to be refused, so I am unsure what to do. Obviously, I don't want to jeopardize our applications, but I also don't want to triple the amount of visa applications (2 ILRs and an extension) if I can have my spouse processed as a dependent on my ILR.

Any advice would be tremendously appreciated!

manci
Respected Guru

Re: ILR Application - Spouse Less than 5 years

Post by manci » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:47 pm

If your spouse is risk averse he can spend £719 on a PBS dependant extension application which should be submitted before his current visa expires. This can be done even if you are applying for ILR and he will get a mandatory 3 year extension.

Otherwise he can apply for ILR before his current visa expires and make the biometric appointment as late as possible (max 45 days delay after application submission). His application will only be considered after the biometric appointment and if at the time the caseworker considers it he meets the eligibility requirement there will be no problem.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: ILR Application - Spouse Less than 5 years

Post by zimba » Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:48 pm

There is no need for another extension at all

indefinite-leave-to-remain/dependent-el ... l#p2072912
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice