ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

eireaus
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by eireaus » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:44 pm

Long time reader, first time post. Thank you to everyone who shared their stories here. I sent my docs off to Dublin in 2020 and never heard anything so, like many of you, have been waiting patiently (and anxiously) these last two years. Thank you to those who shared the urgent FBR enquiries email address (fbr.urgentqueries@dfa.ie). I figured that since I had waited over 2 years it was ok to contact them. I emailed them a few days ago and they got back to me within one business day to confirm they had my documents safely in hand - phew! I see some approved May 2020 applications posted here - that's excellent!

Here is what the FBR office said (in an email yesterday) about processing times:

In terms of regular processing times, an application registered in April 2020 is likely to be processed in October 2022. Entitlement Teams are presently processing April 2020 applications, therefore we envisage that a checker will be in contact in the coming months based on this calculation.

My timeline (I'll add to the Google doc, too):
Online application: 29-Jun-2020
Docs delivered (USPS confirmation) 05-Jul-2020
Docs received in FBR system (notified 4-Oct-2022 via email request from me) 09-Jul-2020

I moved countries between submitting my application and now, and while I was enquiring about whether they received my documents, the FBR office asked me to send them proof of my updated address.

The wheels are in motion, yippeeeeee!

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:36 am

ripforreallldo wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:26 pm

Online Application: 28 March 2020
Documents Received: 26 May 2020
Address Check: 4 October 2022

Two May doc applications and one at the end of May already? Very cool! Hope June applications get sorted as quickly! Is it too much to hope that we get into the early July doc applications before the end of this month or during November?

JackESC
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by JackESC » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am

Very encouraging they have jumped from Feb/March 2020 to May 2020 in the space of a a couple of weeks... I do wonder how many people applied during lockdown days? When did they properly reopen?

The bulk in Feb and March 2020 seems to almost be over. Yay! I have a long long wait though (Sept 2022....will probably have a 2 year wait anyway :lol: )

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:05 am

JackESC wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am
When did they properly reopen?
They resumed processing applications on November 15, 2021.

duffy1867
European Union

Post by duffy1867 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:47 am

JohnFBR wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:42 pm
I had a question I hadn’t thought of until now. When I land in a country with my Irish passport does that country only see my Irish details so it will look like it’s my first flight?
We had very similar timelines in the end - Congratulations!

Who knows on your second point - I don't think it's beyond the technology of snooping governments to know that we are a duel-citizen (maybe the Irish Government even notify the UK Home Office, who knows) - I think some people prefer to enter EU Irish and return home British to make things easier (not that Ireland is particularly complicated in the UK), but hopefully it's a fair point

I know in the US for example they can see your entire finances and credit history when you land under the ESTA system.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 pm

duffy1867 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:47 am
JohnFBR wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:42 pm
I had a question I hadn’t thought of until now. When I land in a country with my Irish passport does that country only see my Irish details so it will look like it’s my first flight?
We had very similar timelines in the end - Congratulations!

Who knows on your second point - I don't think it's beyond the technology of snooping governments to know that we are a duel-citizen (maybe the Irish Government even notify the UK Home Office, who knows) - I think some people prefer to enter EU Irish and return home British to make things easier (not that Ireland is particularly complicated in the UK), but hopefully it's a fair point

I know in the US for example they can see your entire finances and credit history when you land under the ESTA system.
I've wondered about this as well when using two passports. Let's say I'm flying to Italy from the US and I use my US passport to go in and out of the US and my Irish passport to go in and out of Italy. From both sides then it would then show me leaving and returning, but never actually going anywhere? In other words when US customs looks at my passport, they see I left the US, but I didn't actually go anywhere (those stamps are in my EU passport)? And Italian customs sees me enter and leave Italy but not where I went (those stamps are in my US passport). Maybe they don't care? Feels a little odd.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:13 pm

EU passports are not stamp for travel in and out of EU countries.

It really makes no difference the way you stated if you travel. No one is tracking your travel
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Valo
Ireland

Post by Valo » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:00 pm

So, just jumped in here after a while and WOW.

Previous page is full of March applications and the page afterwards is full of May, June and July scattered all over the place? So its true then, not many people seem to have sent their applications in during the COVID lockdown, which iirc, lasted until November 2021 for the FBR department. I'm a January 2022 applicant but if it goes this quickly I might hear back next year :o

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:02 pm

Valo wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:00 pm
So its true then, not many people seem to have sent their applications in during the COVID lockdown, which iirc, lasted until November 2021 for the FBR department.
November 15th

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:58 pm

Valo wrote:

Previous page is full of March applications and the page afterwards is full of May, June and July scattered all over the place? So its true then, not many people seem to have sent their applications in during the COVID lockdown, which iirc, lasted until November 2021 for the FBR department. I'm a January 2022 applicant but if it goes this quickly I might hear back next year :o
They did open briefly from September 2020 - Christmas Eve (I believe 2020) then they closed again until November 2021. So I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a decrease in pace from September 2020 applications until the end of that year. Then, a rapid increase until November applications as there will have been less people sending documents in over the lockdown periods. This seems to be reflected in the google sheet as well with significantly more applications during the period it was open post first lockdown and less people submitting documents during the lockdowns. However I wouldn’t be surprised if you did hear back next year with that in mind.

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 pm

Hi.......How do I add my details to the Google sheet?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:59 am

JT97 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:58 pm
Valo wrote:

They did open briefly from September 2020 - Christmas Eve (I believe 2020) then they closed again until November 2021. So I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a decrease in pace from September 2020 applications until the end of that year. Then, a rapid increase until November applications as there will have been less people sending documents in over the lockdown periods. This seems to be reflected in the google sheet as well with significantly more applications during the period it was open post first lockdown and less people submitting documents during the lockdowns. However I wouldn’t be surprised if you did hear back next year with that in mind.
Yes, I remember speaking for the first time with someone of the now defunct live chat in November. during that brief period. They then stated they were doing a lock down over the holidays and didn't reopen until Nov of 2021.

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:35 am

MrsC70 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 pm
You mean like what is the address for it?

Google Sheet

There are instructions on the first page of the spreadsheet, but it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on from the previous entries.

Jarvo
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Jarvo » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:02 pm

Hi all - another Lurker here.

I finally had the Congratulations email, so only thought it fair to let the rest of you waiting it will come through eventually. My timeline:

Application sent Mid March 2020
No email or correspondence of any time until:
Address check 27th September
Congratulations 6th October

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:03 pm

mwalsh5757 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:35 am
MrsC70 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:25 pm
You mean like what is the address for it?

Google Sheet

There are instructions on the first page of the spreadsheet, but it's pretty easy to figure out what's going on from the previous entries.
Thank you so much mwalsh5757!!!! :D

SweenGolden
Newly Registered
Latvia

Post by SweenGolden » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:43 pm

JT97 wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:58 pm
Valo wrote:

Long time lurker even needed to re register because I didn't remember my details to log in!I just received my confirmation of address and a few minor documents.
Applied April 20 2020
30 months...
Hopefully it will go fast from here...Almost there!!

KMaxx
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by KMaxx » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:25 pm

I just joined the forum. Glad to join you all here.

Timeline for daughter's FBR is below and added to the google doc. I had successfully submitted my own FBR docs way back in 2003 - I think that took less than 6 months from papers mailed to certificate in hand. I am hoping she can get her cert by end of winter and we can then jointly submit our passport apps in the spring.

Application submitted online: 12 Oct 2020
Docs received mail: 2 Dec 2020
Request to confirm address:
Confirmation of entry to FBR:
Certificate received:

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Got an interesting reply from the DFA today...I asked (as politely as I could) what my timeline might be after having my documents accepted on 18/12/2020. Was surprised to see that they were accepted a few days earlier than the initial email indicated!

"At present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration and the pause in the Service due to the Covid-19 restrictions applications are taking in excess of 2 years to process at this time. However, as the current unprecedented levels of passport demand reduces additional staff have been reassigned to the processing of FBR applications which will reduce this processing timeframe.

It is noted that your application was registered on 14/12/2020 and is being held in a secure environment.

In terms of regular processing times, an application registered in June 2020 is likely to be processed in October 2022. Entitlement Teams are presently processing June 2020 applications, therefore we envisage that a checker will be in contact in the coming months based on this calculation."

Not sure why they used June as an example when my application was December, but it's still hard to see this as anything but promising :)

mwalsh5757
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mwalsh5757 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:19 pm

xRGHx wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:13 pm

Not sure why they used June as an example when my application was December, but it's still hard to see this as anything but promising :)
Yes, it's weird phrasing. They could have just said they are currently working on June and that December will be a few months away or something. I'm an early July and am optimistic now that they'll get to mine before the end of this month or early next, while just a few short weeks ago (when they were still working on April) I was thinking around Christmas or early in the New Year.

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:13 pm

xRGHx wrote:
Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:13 pm
Got an interesting reply from the DFA today...I asked (as politely as I could) what my timeline might be after having my documents accepted on 18/12/2020. Was surprised to see that they were accepted a few days earlier than the initial email indicated!

"At present, due to the complex nature of the Foreign Birth Registration and the pause in the Service due to the Covid-19 restrictions applications are taking in excess of 2 years to process at this time. However, as the current unprecedented levels of passport demand reduces additional staff have been reassigned to the processing of FBR applications which will reduce this processing timeframe.

It is noted that your application was registered on 14/12/2020 and is being held in a secure environment.

In terms of regular processing times, an application registered in June 2020 is likely to be processed in October 2022. Entitlement Teams are presently processing June 2020 applications, therefore we envisage that a checker will be in contact in the coming months based on this calculation."

I got the exact same reply on Tuesday....I say I did, they replied to my husband who'd been bcc'd into the email and referred to me as his sister!!! I wasn't included in the email at all. We've lived in the Middle East, and currently Canada, so I understand there's usually a lead name on applications....but not with Ireland and I was first to apply.....not sure what 'Marie's' thinking was that day, but she sure ticked me off!! :evil: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:52 am

I was curious and added a couple of new Monthly Summary pages to the spreadsheet.
They're the same as the existing Monthly Summary except:

in the first one, I changed the duration calculation to be from the Docs Received date to the Cert Received. It was from "Application" date, but that date had some wild variation in it because some people took a long time to gather and send off their documents. The App date is kind of meaningless. The FBR office seems to be working in order by when things are received.

In the second one, I (also) changed the completion date to be the "Address Check" date. These data are a lot more complete, and I think it gives a better picture of how things are progressing.

wjcrichards
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wjcrichards » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:17 pm

Hi all! 👋🏻

Is it usual for there to be a big variation in the order of applications processed?

I applied for Foreign Birth Registration on the 15th of March 2020, and my documents were received in Balbriggan on the 23rd of March 2020.

I haven't heard anything from the authorities since...

I understand that I ought to have heard back by now, based on others' timelines 🤔

I am not expecting the application to be unsuccessful, as I have two Irish grandparents!

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Will

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:00 pm

wjcrichards wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:17 pm
Hi all! 👋🏻

Is it usual for there to be a big variation in the order of applications processed?

I applied for Foreign Birth Registration on the 15th of March 2020, and my documents were received in Balbriggan on the 23rd of March 2020.

I understand that I ought to have heard back by now, based on others' timelines 🤔
Consulting the spreadsheet, I'd guess your application is in process now. It's not absurdly late or anything. Standby for an address check any day now.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:31 pm

wjcrichards wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:17 pm
Hi all! 👋🏻

I am not expecting the application to be unsuccessful, as I have two Irish grandparents!

Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Will
I wouldn't worry. Timelines can vary based on which team or FBR person is assigned to your application (vacations, sick days etc). This is common. Sure you'll hear any day now.

wjcrichards
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by wjcrichards » Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:09 pm

Thanks for the responses and reassurance! ☝🏻