ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

renounce indian citizenship - Child

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ganeshb5u
Newly Registered
India

renounce indian citizenship - Child

Post by ganeshb5u » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:57 pm

Hi Group members.

Currently i have applied for ILR , and since my son was born in the UK , he is eligible for UK citizenship.
We have applied for registration as a UK citizen.

We want to travel to India next summer and i understand there will be long sequence of steps to complete by then. But i could not find any guidance with sequence of stpes and what items can be done in parallel

Could any one who has done this before please suggest -
1. Apply for registration as a UK citizen
2. renounce indian citizenship at VFS UK
3. Apply for UK passport
4. Apply for OCI card

questions
1. are steps#2 and 3 in correct order ? , can something be done in parallel
2. I hear that getting appointment at VFS is very tough, can appointments be booked for 2 while waiting for UK registration?

regards
Ganesh

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Re: renounce indian citizenship - Child

Post by anonvtic » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:13 pm

I have the exact same question, except that we are facing a more urgent timeline for the child's travel to India (this winter).

Have applied to register my UK-born child as a British citizen and waiting since then. My child has an Indian passport (whose information was filled out in the submitted MN1 form).

Can someone please clarify if:
  • the child's first British passport can be applied as soon as the certification of registration is obtained?
  • HMPO will absolutely require proof of surrender of Indian passport before the child's British passport can be issued?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 pm

You shouldn't tag your questions onto other members topics. It is considered rude.

HMPO does NOT ask for a surrender cert.

You need the British passport before applying for passport surrender and oci. You need the Indian passport to send HMPO for the British passport application.

You do not "renounce" Indian citizenship. It is automatically lost from date on the registration certificate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ganeshb5u
Newly Registered
India

Post by ganeshb5u » Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:24 pm

Hi CR001, Moderators,

could you please guide me on the original question?
1. Apply for registration as a UK citizen
2. renounce indian citizenship at VFS UK
3. Apply for UK passport
4. Apply for OCI card

questions
1. are steps#2 and 3 in correct order ? , can something be done in parallel
2. I hear that getting appointment at VFS is very tough, can appointments be booked for 2 while waiting for UK registration?