ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for first passport from abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

SilverBeaver
Newly Registered
Mood:
Romania

Applying for first passport from abroad

Post by SilverBeaver » Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:56 am

Hi, I'm in my home country for a few months and would like to apply for my first passport from here before returning to the UK. Could someone please tell me if it's the same online route for applying from abroad as being in the UK?

Also I'm currently in-between official addresses, therefore it'd be difficult to prove my address online as I think they may ask for a letter from local authorities etc. Is there any way to get the passport picked up at the embassy? Many thanks!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Applying for first passport from abroad

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:06 am

It is generally advisable to apply for your first British passport from the UK, it demonstrates you intend to live in the UK long term. See this link for more info https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

SilverBeaver
Newly Registered
Mood:
Romania

Post by SilverBeaver » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:10 pm

Thank you, however if it's an option to apply from overseas, I would like to take that route. The guidance on the UK Gov isn't clear - will I need to send my current passport and other documents via courier from abroad, or will a colour photocopy of all my current passport pages be enough?

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:15 pm

If you go through the application form I linked, it will tell you what to send.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:15 pm

I'd be very cautious of and would advise against applying for a first adult British passport if you acquired British citizenship by naturalisation.

You can certainly apply for a first adult British passport from abroad if you are a British citizen by birth (descent or otherwise) or by registration (under Forms T, UKM or UKF, for instance). None of these forms of acquiring British citizenship have a future intentions (of making the UK your residence for the foreseeable future) requirement, which naturalisation does.

There have been at least two cases reported on these forums of first adult British passport applications for naturalised citizens being escalated by HMPO to the Home Office to see if the applicant may have breached the future intentions requirement for naturalisation.

So, if you were to apply from abroad, expect delays and possible further questioning when it comes to your application.

And, as a general rule, just because you can, does not mean you should.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.