ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Register children born outside UK for citizenship apply at the discretion of the home secretary

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Register children born outside UK for citizenship

Post by alimohamedhamed » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:45 am

My children are born outside the UK, they are under 18, they live with me since I came here 9 years ago and their immigration status is humanitarian protection. I am going to apply for ILR next month for myself only. My question is:
If I got ILR, can I later register my children for citizenship, if so what application I should use.
Than you for your help in advance :)

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Register children born outside UK for citizenship

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:59 am

As I understand it children born outside the UK are expected to have their ILR status before applying for registration.
Others may comment in more detail.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Post by alimohamedhamed » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:15 pm

Thank you for your reply,
my friend has the same case and he applied on application M1 and was accepted, but I am still not sure and I need more information.

youcef410428
Algeria

Post by youcef410428 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:43 am

I have Ilr, and I have one kid born in uk and the other born outside,
I applied for my daughter born in uk for British citizenship registration and was accepted
But my daughter born outside uk I need to extend her visa first until she gets ILR
This what the moderator of the form told me and this is what I found in homeoffice website

mesn
Member of Standing
Mood:
England

Post by mesn » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:21 am

T2G 2015, T2 Switch 2018, ILR 2020, BC 2021, British Passport 2022, OCI 2022

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Post by alimohamedhamed » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:48 pm

youcef410428 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:43 am
I have Ilr, and I have one kid born in uk and the other born outside,
I applied for my daughter born in uk for British citizenship registration and was accepted
But my daughter born outside uk I need to extend her visa first until she gets ILR
This what the moderator of the form told me and this is what I found in homeoffice website
Hi,
I think you don't need to wait, my friend apply for his children and was accepted. do more research and please let me know if you find any information.

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Register children born outside UK for citizenship apply at the discretion of the home secretary

Post by alimohamedhamed » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:56 am

Hi,
Thank you for the support guys, I am repeating my question with more details to clarify my situation.
I have just received my indefinite leave to remain and now I am planning to register two of my children, under 18, who were born outside the Uk. one of them is 17 years and 4 months old, and the other is 11 years and 7 months old. They lived here in the UK for 9 years and 6 months with no long absence from the UK. My wife doesn't have ILR she is obtaining leave to remain under humanitarian protection.
My question is can I register my two children using the MN1 application under the category of applying at the discretion of the home secretary?

Thanks,

vinny

Re: Register children born outside UK for citizenship apply at the discretion of the home secretary

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:18 am

Probably risky, as they expect both mother and children to also have ILR and father to successfully naturalise. Moreover, citizenship applications are not protected under Section 3C, so applicants without ILR may become overstayers with associated problems in a hostile environment when their leave expires.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Re: Register children born outside UK for citizenship apply at the discretion of the home secretary

Post by alimohamedhamed » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:35 am

Thank you for your reply,
I forgot to mention that both of my children their HP leave to remain is valid until June 2023.

If I wait until their stay becomes 10 years, does this increase my chance?

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:58 am

They could try. But if refused, then the application fees may be lost. Read the Caseworker Guidance carefully.

If age 18 year old or over, then cannot register as a child, but must satisfy the naturalisation requirements.

If there are delays or refusals, then best also to continue to apply in-time for leave, in line with their mother.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Post by alimohamedhamed » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:37 pm

Thank you for your patience answering my questions.
Both of my daughters have lived here in the Uk with me and my wife for 9 and six months, do you think it is better to wait six more months to make it 10 years and then apply. or does it not make a difference.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:39 am

I think the risks of a refusal is high due to failures of their expectations. I don’t think a further six months delay would make a difference in this case.

However, if child completes 10 years lawful continuous residence then child may also apply for ILR under Long residence. The chances of success for ILR may be higher.

youcef410428
Algeria

Post by youcef410428 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:10 pm

alimohamedhamed wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:37 pm
Both of my daughters have lived here in the Uk with me and my wife for 9 and six months, do you think it is better to wait six more months to make it 10 years and then apply. or does it not make a difference.
Did you applied for your kids? What happened to your application.

Ameer_zyzom

Post by Ameer_zyzom » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 pm

vinny wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:39 am
I think the risks of a refusal is high due to failures of their expectations. I don’t think a further six months delay would make a difference in this case.

However, if child completes 10 years lawful continuous residence then child may also apply for ILR under Long residence. The chances of success for ILR may be higher.
See the new policy
Page 27&28👇
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ildren.pdf

Page 16 👇

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... -Sep22.pdf

alimohamedhamed
Newly Registered
Libya

Post by alimohamedhamed » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:59 pm

youcef410428 wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:10 pm
alimohamedhamed wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:37 pm
Did you applied for your kids? What happened to your application.
My application has been refused :cry:

youcef410428
Algeria

Post by youcef410428 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:01 pm

Oh sorry to hear that, what's the raison of refusing it.

Next time will be successful