ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Life in UK Test

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Life in UK Test

Post by waleed205 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:47 pm

Hello
I’m hearing that the test might change soon. My next step application is in two years but I want to get it done so I don’t have to worry about it.

1) Do you recommend doing it now and do we know if there will be a transition period?

2) Also what is a good study guide. I went to the official website but they have several products. Will the 3/6/9/12 month subscription help me pass the test?
I took the test once and failed because I studied different guides.

3) any information or progress on the elimination of BRP cards and replacing it with digital one?

Thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: Life in UK Test

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:33 am

1) Do you recommend doing it now and do we know if there will be a transition period?
You can take it at any time, it won't expire. There aren't announcements to review it this year (that I have heard of), so we will keep this version for some time still.

2) Also what is a good study guide. I went to the official website but they have several products. Will the 3/6/9/12 month subscription help me pass the test?
I bought the book but in honesty I mostly prepared on unofficial guides and passed the test.

3) any information or progress on the elimination of BRP cards and replacing it with digital one?
all BRP cards will expire at the end of 2024 and won't be reissued, status will become digital only solicitor weblink removed by moderator
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:59 am

waleed205 wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:47 pm
Hello
I’m hearing that the test might change soon. My next step application is in two years but I want to get it done so I don’t have to worry about it.

1) Do you recommend doing it now and do we know if there will be a transition period?You're free to do it at any time, it never expires.

I took the test once and failed because I studied different guides. All line dumps are available. Cover all sections and you should be fine after a month or 2. Depending on how much study time you put into it/

3) any information or progress on the elimination of BRP cards and replacing it with digital one?Info is still sketchy. It would become clearer closer to the time.

Thanks
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:01 pm

waleed205 wrote:
Hello

Thanks
1. No. You should ideally do this test shortly before your ILR. Immigration rules and requirements are subject to change :!:
2. There are many online free resources including mock test websites. The test is extremely easy to pass
3. BRPs will be gone by the end of 2024. Digital immigration status very likely will be introduced at the beginning of 2024
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Post by waleed205 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:32 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

I can't remember if I shared my first experience here. I took the first test in an official centre. The people were professional but the experience I felt was humiliating, least to say.

It started by taking my head temperature (fine, let it go). Then they won't touch anything I gave them (passport, BRP, papers, etc), they would use a tissue (not gloves), which defeats the purpose of protecting against COVID. Then I was asked to empty my pockets entirely and put in the lockers. I was then searched with metal detectors (just like the airport). The guy was looking inside my ears. I was asked to lower my socks etc.

All in all, it was humiliating. I honestly was not focused the questions as this hurt me. As Said they were professional and kept apologizing, but it did not mean anything to me.

Can I change the test centre on my second attempt i.e. try London, Cardiff, Belsfat, anything?

Are all the centres the same way??!!

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:20 pm

The experience you described was the same I went through in a centre in London. It's the Home office procedure to make sure people don't cheat. I'm sorry it affected you, it's a lot of overkill.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:41 pm

waleed205 wrote:
Hello
This has been promised repeatedly by Conservative Home Secreatries, at their party conferences, both for English and the LITUK.
Though my impression was always to make it "more meaningful" - i.e. tougher.... nothing official has been published.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:27 am

waleed205 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:32 pm
Thanks for all the replies.

I can't remember if I shared my first experience here. I took the first test in an official centre. The people were professional but the experience I felt was humiliating, least to say.

It started by taking my head temperature (fine, let it go). Then they won't touch anything I gave them (passport, BRP, papers, etc), they would use a tissue (not gloves), which defeats the purpose of protecting against COVID. Then I was asked to empty my pockets entirely and put in the lockers. I was then searched with metal detectors (just like the airport). The guy was looking inside my ears. I was asked to lower my socks etc.

All in all, it was humiliating. I honestly was not focused the questions as this hurt me. As Said they were professional and kept apologizing, but it did not mean anything to me.

Can I change the test centre on my second attempt i.e. try London, Cardiff, Belsfat, anything?

Are all the centres the same way??!!
You were not targeted. Appears to be the laid down entry checks so changing centers may not eliminate the likelihood of repeat.

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:27 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:27 am
You were not targeted. Appears to be the laid down entry checks so changing centers may not eliminate the likelihood of repeat.
Due to those who used deception to get British citizenship.

UK citizenship tests: Gangs help cheating candidates pass
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47047719

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Post by waleed205 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 pm

JB007 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:27 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:27 am
Due to those who used deception to get British citizenship.

UK citizenship tests: Gangs help cheating candidates pass
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47047719
I absolutely expect cheating to take place, no one can deny it. However, what is the percentage of cheaters vs legit? I would like to think that we have more honest people, and those small percentage cheaters should not change the overall perception and reputation of the UK citizens/residents. I understand it will happen.

Plus, why should remembering Henry VII or VIII did such and such decides my eligibility for residency and citizenship? Do UK born and/or automatically citizens know these thing? I am not arguing I know it is the system, but just a thought. I am all with testing but test me on things that would distinguish me as a citizen.

Apologies for venting, it just tipped me off.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:33 pm

waleed205 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 pm

I absolutely expect cheating to take place, no one can deny it. However, what is the percentage of cheaters vs legit? I would like to think that we have more honest people, and those small percentage cheaters should not change the overall perception and reputation of the UK citizens/residents. I understand it will happen.

Plus, why should remembering Henry VII or VIII did such and such decides my eligibility for residency and citizenship? Do UK born and/or automatically citizens know these thing? I am not arguing I know it is the system, but just a thought. I am all with testing but test me on things that would distinguish me as a citizen.

Some dishonest people ruin it for everyone. There are a number of videos of Brits attempting to answer the questions of the LITUK test and it's quite funny how they don't know half of the stuff that as an immigrant we have to be tested for. However, as you say it is the system and we can abide by it but also point out it is flawed.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:51 pm

waleed205 wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:18 pm

I think it is just an expectation of minimal effort on part of immigrants in order to secure settlement or citizenship. The minimum requirement to pass the English and LIUK is frankly extremely low and yet, cheating has been widespread.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Post by waleed205 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:32 pm

2 questions please:

1- I decided to take the test in another city. I live in Wales and I am going on a trip to London. I found so many convenient times and locations. Will it matter if I take it in. place other than where I live? (i.e. Scotland, Wales, England..!!). I already made the test booking and it did not flag is as I have my address on the profile.

2- When I took my first test, I did not have my BRP. So when I created the profile it asked me if I had a BRP which I wish to use, and I said no and added my passport information. Do I need to update that?or I can continue using my passport?

Thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:51 pm

1- No it won't matter, you can take it wherever you want
2 - Passport is OK, remember you will need to use your passport also for the language test if you need to take it and of course add it to your application

Good luck!!!

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Post by waleed205 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:44 pm

Thanks

Due to availability of locations and times , can I make 2 bookings in advance in case I don’t pass :(
I believe I can get full refund if I cancel the second one before 3 days.

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:02 pm

I don't think you can. You will be able to book once you are notified of the outcome, but give it your best before thinking of the worst! there are resources on this forum too.

waleed205
Mood:
Australia

Post by waleed205 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:26 pm

Dear all
Thanks for all your help and advice, I was able to pass the test on my second attempt. And yes, you can book multiple tests to accommodate availablity, but make sure you cancel 3 days before if you want a refund.

Cheers

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:19 pm

Congratulations!