ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport for a 10 year old boy

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alvaro31
Newly Registered

British passport for a 10 year old boy

Post by alvaro31 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:44 pm

Hello
My son will be 10 in November and I'm not sure whether we could apply for a British passport for him. We are EEA citizens with settled status now. I obtained ILR one year after he was born and mother settled status in 2020. At the time he was born both of us were living in the UK for 4 years. As he will be 10 years old next month we are wondering whether he can obtain British passport or go through the citizenship process. Could anyone advise eligibility for our son? And what conditions need to be fulfilled in his case please?
We would appreciate any help with this topic:)

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Re: British passport for a 10 year old boy

Post by contorted_svy » Sun Oct 16, 2022 9:44 pm

You need to apply for registration through form MN1 for your child before getting a passport. I think you should be able to apply under section 3(1) (but I am less familiar with registration so other members can advise further), review the guidance here https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... 1-guidance
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:19 am

If he was born in the UK, then he is entitled to register.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

alvaro31
Newly Registered

Post by alvaro31 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:15 pm

Thank you both so much:)

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Oct 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Acquisition of British citizenship at any time after birth is never automatic, but requires either registration or naturalisation.

Assuming your child was born in the UK, they are eligible to be registered either under Form T (living in the UK for the first 10 years of their life) or Form MN1 (having a parent with ILR/settled status in the UK).

The fees for the two are the same (~£1000), but the proof required of the two is different (proof of living in the UK for the first ten years of their life vs proof of one parent's settled status/ILR).
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.