ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I claim Universal Credit during Spouse Visa Application?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

barokut
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by barokut » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 pm

Hi there, Typing this message on behalf of my dad:

"HI all,

I am a British Citizen. I am currently divorced with my first wife. I am married to someone in Bangladesh. I already have a 10 years old son who has a British Passport. I am employed and earning gross £1,583.33 per month which is £19,000 per year. My home rent is very high, council tax is high even at a single person 25% discunt and I'm deliberately not claiming Universal Credit as I am worried that it'll affect my current wife's spouse visa when she will eventually apply.

What should I do? The energy crisis has dented my finace, rents have increased to £960 per month and whatever I'm left with after everything is dissappointing.

Am I allowed to go ahead and claim Universal Credit (as a single person of course) and at the same time, apply for my wife's visa?

I tried to look for laws regarding this including Apendix but couldn't seem to find any. Please help me with the answers as I am in a dilemna. Thank you."

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Re: Can I claim Universal Credit during Spouse Visa Application?

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:30 pm

barokut wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:48 pm

"HI all,

I am a British Citizen. I am currently divorced with my first wife. I am married to someone in Bangladesh. I already have a 10 years old son who has a British Passport. I am employed and earning gross £1,583.33 per month which is £19,000 per year. My home rent is very high, council tax is high even at a single person 25% discunt and I'm deliberately not claiming Universal Credit as I am worried that it'll affect my current wife's spouse visa when she will eventually apply.

What should I do? The energy crisis has dented my finace, rents have increased to £960 per month and whatever I'm left with after everything is dissappointing.

Am I allowed to go ahead and claim Universal Credit (as a single person of course) and at the same time, apply for my wife's visa?

I tried to look for laws regarding this including Apendix but couldn't seem to find any. Please help me with the answers as I am in a dilemna. Thank you."
As A British citizen with a British citizen child, he can apply for Universal Credit.

I don't think he can use welfare money to sponsor his wife, but it seems he just makes the amount to sponsor from his earnings? Others with know and if they don't reply on this board, then post on the family board.

When his spouse arrives, he will lose his single person discount on council tax and also cannot claim extra benefit money via Universal Credit for his No Recourse to Public Funds wife: although he will need to add her to his UC claim (see the sitcky above on this board). However, she can work on a spouse visa and by doing so, she will help with the household income

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:41 pm

Sorry, I thought this was on the claiming benefits board.

Here is the link about clamimg with a partner that is is No Recourse to Public Funds.
claiming-benefits/universal-credit-clai ... 02126.html

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:44 pm

JB007 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:41 pm
Sorry, I thought this was on the claiming benefits board.

Here is the link about clamimg with a partner that is is No Recourse to Public Funds.
Is your British citizen father claiming Child Benefit for his British citizen son?
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit

Hopefully there will be some good news tomorrow about the ever rising energy bills.

He might also be able to ask for a referal to a foodbank.

As they are both British citizens, use the benefit calculators to see if they can claim anything else
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/

barokut
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by barokut » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:07 pm

JB007 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:30 pm
barokut wrote:

"HI all,

As A British citizen with a British citizen child, he can apply for Universal Credit.

I don't think he can use welfare money to sponsor his wife, but it seems he just makes the amount to sponsor from his earnings? Others with know and if they don't reply on this board, then post on the family board.

When his spouse arrives, he will lose his single person discount on council tax and also cannot claim extra benefit money via Universal Credit for his No Recourse to Public Funds wife: although he will need to add her to his UC claim (see the sitcky above on this board). However, she can work on a spouse visa and by doing so, she will help with the household income

Hi there,

I don't think he will use Universal Credit to sponsor his wife. He will use his wage to sponsor her but in terms of things like rent coverage, he believes he needs Universal Credit. I used U.C. Benefit Calculator, he is eligible for £515+ per month of U.C. entitlement as despite earning £19,000 in a year, it's not good enough. So should he go ahead and claim U.C. then?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:53 am

barokut wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:07 pm
JB007 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:30 pm
barokut wrote:

"HI all,

Hi there,

I don't think he will use Universal Credit to sponsor his wife. He will use his wage to sponsor her but in terms of things like rent coverage, he believes he needs Universal Credit. I used U.C. Benefit Calculator, he is eligible for £515+ per month of U.C. entitlement as despite earning £19,000 in a year, it's not good enough. So should he go ahead and claim U.C. then?
He can claim UC

JB007
- thin ice -
United Kingdom

Post by JB007 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:45 am

It's not a lot of UC benefit money to keep them both (soon to be three when his wife gets a visa) but it's a small help until your father can increase his hours/find a better paying job/his wife works. Has he thought about moving to an area where rents are cheaper?

Read this link on when is the best time to start a UC claim.
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guid ... edit-Claim

And as his wife will be No Recourse to Public Funds and he must tell Universal Credit when she moves in (as well as his council), have a read of all the links in this sticky on welfare benefits, to avoid the pitfalls of breachng his wife's visa.

And make sure your father is also claiming Child Benefit. Child Benefit is nothing to do with Universal Credit.

barokut
BANNED
United Kingdom

Post by barokut » Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:03 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes he has. Birmingham is one option. But his employment is here in London.

Also he's reaching pension age in 2024. Would be able to bring his wife over on pension benefit?