ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling to Northern ireland

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

iahmad1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Travelling to Northern ireland

Post by iahmad1 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi all,

This maybe a silly question and I have researched this but I thought someone else may have been in the same boat as me or gone through the same situation.

My wife has a limited leave to remain Biometric Visa etc. and we are looking to travel to northern Ireland from London. This expires in late December and we are now putting in the application for further leave to remain.

My kids and I all have British Passports. We are fluting on Easy jet from London to Belfast.

My question is that would my wife be OK to fly without a visa (not the ILR one but an Irish one)?
I was told she can as her visa is still Valid and under the CTA she should be fine.

Could someone here clarify this.

Thanks in advance.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling to Northern ireland

Post by Ticktack » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:23 pm

iahmad1 wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:09 pm
Hi all,

This maybe a silly question and I have researched this but I thought someone else may have been in the same boat as me or gone through the same situation.

My wife has a limited leave to remain Biometric Visa etc. and we are looking to travel to northern Ireland from London. This expires in late December and we are now putting in the application for further leave to remain.

My kids and I all have British Passports. We are fluting on Easy jet from London to Belfast.

My question is that would my wife be OK to fly without a visa (not the ILR one but an Irish one)?
I was told she can as her visa is still Valid and under the CTA she should be fine.

Could someone here clarify this.

Thanks in advance.
She's fine to fly to Belfast even after her visa expires. Her visa is not for England, but for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

No silly questions.

She can't travel to The Republic of Ireland though without a valid Irish Visa.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:25 pm

Belfast is UK, not ROI. For ROI she needs an Irish visa, but if you're not leaving the UK, you're fine.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

iahmad1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by iahmad1 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:04 pm

Thank you to you both for your quick replies.

I have another question:

I know I can take my drivers license as proof of photo and ID but I cant find my drivers license and my passport is with the home office as I was doing my baby girls passport etc. and they never sent that back, well not yet. Ironically I have everyone else' passport.

I do have my passport and drivers license scanned on my laptop so I can have that on my phone instead.

Do you think EasyJet will accept that on my phone?

thanks

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:30 pm

No, you will need photo ID. A picture on the phone is not generally accepted evidence as it could be a picture of a fake passport. You could get a replacement license from DVLA if there is enough time before you travel.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

iahmad1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by iahmad1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:32 am

Thanks for the heads up.

I had lost hope as my flight was tomorrow so was just thinking of recouping my losses when around a few hours a go I had found my drivers license.

Thanks again.

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:33 am

You also can use your provisional licence or an expired passport as a form of photo ID if the passport expired up to five years ago.

Ticktack
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Ticktack » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:12 am

lolo2 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:33 am
You also can use your provisional licence How is that even possible, when you're expected to exchange your provisional for a full license. Or has the law recently changed?or an expired passport as a form of photo ID if the passport expired up to five years ago.You can't say that with certainty, every airline has their own rules and regs, as that isn't an official guideline anywhere in the world.
Lucky OP found his drivers license. Go and sin no more! :lol:
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

lolo2
Venezuela

Post by lolo2 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:56 am

Thought OP was still in the process of exchanging licences (provisional/full)... my bad!

Regarding the passport, easyjet allows using expired passports as a form of photo ID for domestic flights, it's clearly stated in their T&C's. I am not sure I can post the link with these policies here but they can "easily" google it.
Here's a few examples of photographic ID that is accepted:

A valid passport - an expired passport can be used up to a maximum of five years after expiry
Valid photographic EU or Swiss national identity card
Valid photographic driving licence, provisional or full
Valid armed forces identity card
Valid police warrant card/badge

contorted_svy
Respected Guru
Italy

Post by contorted_svy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:23 pm

iahmad1 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:32 am
Thanks for the heads up.

I had lost hope as my flight was tomorrow so was just thinking of recouping my losses when around a few hours a go I had found my drivers license.

Thanks again.
Great! Hope you get your passport back soon.
All advice comes from personal research and experience and should not be regarded as professional opinion.

iahmad1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by iahmad1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:39 pm

Thanks again all.

I was told any form of photo and name so even my work badge really but nonetheless all was good.

iahmad1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Travelling to Northern ireland - UPDATED Morocco

Post by iahmad1 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:00 pm

Hi all,

Ireland trip went fine and my wife's visa went fine, thanks you all who replied.

We are looking at going to Marrakech, Morocco, next month.
How quickly can we get a visa for this?
As per above, my wife has a limited leave to remain Biometric Visa etc. which has another 2 years on it etc.

Is there a specific web site we need to go on?
She has a Pakistani passport but living in London etc.

Thanks again in advance.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:32 pm

iahmad1 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:00 pm
Hi all,

Ireland trip went fine and my wife's visa went fine, thanks you all who replied.

We are looking at going to Marrakech, Morocco, next month.
How quickly can we get a visa for this?
As per above, my wife has a limited leave to remain Biometric Visa etc. which has another 2 years on it etc.

Is there a specific web site we need to go on?
She has a Pakistani passport but living in London etc.

Thanks again in advance.
I'm afraid you'd have to do your own research on this one, as with all the other countries.
Check the visa requirements (for which usually only passport would matter, but in some countries there are provisions for UK visas, although rarely), look up country's embassy to figure out how to apply for a visa, if you need one, and go from there.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 1:43 pm

Good starting point would be this wiki page if you're trying to find where to travel at a glance - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_requ ... i_citizens . Be careful, though, and verify information before getting flights, as this is, obviously, edited by random people on the internet nad might be out of date/incorrect.