ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

is it quicker to get married and switch while in UK vs Fiancé route?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

typical wait times for expedited Fiancé Visa?

Post by trandy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:56 pm

I read that it's up to 30 working days but is that how long it will definitely take, or the maximum time it could take and maybe it could be sooner?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: typical wait times for expedited Fiancé Visa?

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:33 am

trandy wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:56 pm
I read that it's up to 30 working days but is that how long it will definitely take, or the maximum time it could take and maybe it could be sooner?
In the HO chaotic non adherence to SLAs the word definitely is off the table. Hope for the best.

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by trandy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:30 am

I don't know what HO or SLA is but I need to adjust my question anyway to: when apply for a fiance visa outside the UK, what is the wait time and is there a priority/super priority service available??

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:53 am

trandy wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:30 am
I don't know what HO or SLA is but I need to adjust my question anyway to: when apply for a fiance visa outside the UK, what is the wait time and is there a priority/super priority service available??
HO = Home Office, or also known as UK Visas and Immigration

SLA = Service Level Agreement. For visas, this can be anything between 8 weeks and 6 months before getting a decision. Currently, some are waiting around 24 weeks, even if priority is paid for. There is no 'super priority' option from abroad.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by trandy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:25 am

Ok, thanks for the info. I just spoke to someone who said it's currently anywhere from 8-24 weeks. So there is some hope. Will get a few more answers to get an aggregate.

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by trandy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:31 am

But then someone else just told me it's taking the full 6 months but not impossible for it to take much less.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:41 am

It varies. There is no definitive answer. Some get their visas relatively quickly, others do not. Where you apply from also impacts things a bit.

UKVI is prioritising the Ukraine visa situation so anything else is taking a bit longer than usual.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:23 pm

trandy wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:31 am
But then someone else just told me it's taking the full 6 months but not impossible for it to take much less.
That is not so much different from what you heard from here.

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

Post by trandy » Fri Oct 28, 2022 2:19 pm

Called another law firm in Manchester who were looking at their own data and calling it 4 months currently and that the times are coming down slightly. Says they were at 6-7 months previously.

trandy
Newly Registered
Wales

is it quicker to get married and switch while in UK vs Fiancé route?

Post by trandy » Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:01 pm

I was planning on getting my fiancé here on the fiancé visa and then getting married a short while later. We even started applying for apartments.

But since we found out there's no priority service, I was wondering if it's quicker to have her come here on a visitor visa and have us get married and switch to a spouse visa while here? I gather that applying from within the UK is faster.

-------- from gov website ------

Switching to a family visa
If you came to the UK on a different visa, you might be able to switch to a family visa to stay with your:

spouse or partner
child
parent
You can switch at any time before your current permission to stay in the UK expires.

======

meself2
Ireland

Re: is it quicker to get married and switch while in UK vs Fiancé route?

Post by meself2 » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:04 pm

trandy wrote:
Mon Oct 31, 2022 5:01 pm
I was wondering if it's quicker to have her come here on a visitor visa and have us get married and switch to a spouse visa while here? I gather that applying from within the UK is faster.
Can't do that; read the website in full.
https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa
When you cannot get a family visa
In some circumstances you cannot apply for, or switch to, a family visa.

[...]

You have a visitor visa or a visa for 6 months or less
You’ll usually need to leave the UK to apply for a family visa if either:

you have permission to be in the UK as a visitor
your visa is for 6 months or less
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

secret.simon

Re: is it quicker to get married and switch while in UK vs Fiancé route?

Post by secret.simon » Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:53 pm

As @meself2 has already mentioned, you can't switch from a visitor visa to a spousal visa within the UK.

The applicant needs to apply for a spousal visa from a country where they have a right to long-term residence (i.e. where they are not a visitor). So, not only can they not apply from the UK while on a visit visa, they can't apply from any country where they are on a visit visa.

Also, any application to the Registrar or to a church to get married will need to be escalated to the Home Office, who can extend the notice period for the marriage from 28 days to 70 days, while they investigate the proposed marriage.

You can't speed up the process within the UK. So don't try, unless you have the appetite for a lot of long-term grief that can impact the entire immigration journey.

You could look at getting married abroad and then starting the spousal visa process from abroad itself.

PS: Your posts from 2019 refer to a wife that you want to bring back to the UK. You should only look at getting remarried after getting the decree absolute.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.