ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Re: Zambrano Settled Status EU settlement scheme Paper Application Form - NEW

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:23 am

Kmt2014 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:19 am
Thanks so much for your help.
I came in and did not want to be illegal and Such went for leave to remain as I had a long battle before my sons father sent his passport to hom office to issue our son his passport, I had to take him to court after trying mediation. Eventually his passport was issued already granted leave to remain. I am confused if I should then go for administrative review will it be successful or if I should appeal. Please advise.
What you should do depends on what you are. Are you a Zambrano carer or not? If you are a Zambrano carer, on what basis are you a Zambrano carer? I really can't help you further because I don't know what your position is. Perhaps someone else on the forum can help.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:26 am

Yes I am a Zambrano Carer and have been since I had my son. My sons British Passport was issued to him in March 2019. Thank you

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:33 am

What year did you enter the UK?
What date did you apply for your son's British passport?
What date did you apply for leave to remain under Appendix FM?

Your case is complex. The judge could say,
you became the parent of a British child in March 2019. You also obtained LTR under Appendix FM in March 2019. You are not a Zambrano carer.
or
you applied for your son's UK citizenship in ___. At this point, you became a Zambrano carer. You then applied for LTR under Appendix FM in March 2019. You retained your status as a Zambrano carer.
Last edited by marcidevpal on Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:36 am

I entered 2017 December
I applied for my sons passport 2018 January and it took long to get it as his father did not send his passport so o got his passport march 2019
I applied for leave December 2018 and was granted leave February 2019.

Thank you

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:39 am

Kmt2014 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:36 am

I entered 2017 December
I applied for my sons passport 2018 January and it took long to get it as his father did not send his passport so o got his passport march 2019
I applied for leave December 2018 and was granted leave February 2019.

Thank you
Your witness statement
In January 2018, I became a Zambrano carer of a British citizen child when I applied for my son's passport. The passport was issued in March 2019.

In December 2018, I applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM. In February 2019, I was granted leave.
It seems you are saying the act of applying for your son's passport was your declaration as a Zambrano carer. Ideally, you would have applied for a derivative residence card, but this is not mandatory.

Your bundle needs to include a reference to the fact that Zambrano carers are not obliged to apply for a card to exercise their right. (very important)

If you go for admin review, you should make those points above clear.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:50 am

Thank you sooooo much soo so much. Please is there a place to get a reference to add .
Your bundle needs to include a reference to the fact that Zambrano carers are not obliged to apply for a card to exercise their right. (very important)

Also would an administrative review be the best then. Thank you.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:15 pm

Possible witness statement

Answer several questions:

1. immigration history
2. what is a Zambrano carer
3. eu definition
4. uk definition
5. why you are a Zambrano carer
6. why you didn't apply for a card
7. why you applied for ltr under appendix fm

My Immigration History

In ___, I entered the UK on a __ visa.

In ___, I gave birth to my son.

In January 2018, I applied for my son's passpor. On this date, I became a Zambrano carer of a British citizen child. The passport was issued in March 2019.

In December 2018, I applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM. In February 2019, I was granted leave.

What is a Zambrano carer

"Zambrano" is a route available under EU law. It can be used by a parent where they are a primary carer of a British citizen child, where the child would be compelled to leave the UK if the primary carer leaves. The Zambrano route is based upon principles contained in the Treaty of the Functioning of the European Union.

Why I am a Zambrano carer

I fulfil the requirements of a Zambrano carer according to the EU and UK regulations, as outlined below:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... mbrano.pdf
To qualify as a Zambrano carer, the parent must be the primary carer for a British child and their departure from the United Kingdom would compel the British child to leave the UK.
The EU and Zambrano carers

The Zambrano carer application derives from case-law of the European Court of Justice. The EEA Regulations state the following:
“15A. Derivative right of residence

(1) A person (“P”) who is not an exempt person and who satisfies the criteria in paragraph …(4A)… of this regulation is entitled to a derivative right to reside in the United Kingdom for as long as P satisfies the relevant criteria.

(4A) P satisfies the criteria in this paragraph if–

(a) P is the primary carer of a British citizen (“the relevant British citizen”);

(b) the relevant British citizen is residing in the United Kingdom; and

(c) the relevant British citizen would be unable to reside in the UK or in another EEA State if P were required to leave.

(7) P is to be regarded as a “primary carer” of another person if

(a) P is a direct relative or a legal guardian of that person; and

(b) P–

(i) is the person who has primary responsibility for that person’s care…”
This right of residence is not a right conferred by Directive 2004/38/EC (“the Directive”), but is instead a right derived from the right of Union citizenship contained in Article 20 of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union (a „derivative right‟).

The Home Office position on Zambrano carers

On 12th December 2012, the Home Office published guidance which states

Zambrano rights of residence “Exempt persons”

8. As a Zambrano right need only be conferred where a refusal to grant would force the primary carer to leave the UK (and thereby deprive the British Citizen of their rights under EU law) certain “exempt persons” cannot acquire a Zambrano right of residence.

9. A person is an “exempt person” if they are a person:
a. who has a right to reside in the United Kingdom as a result of any other provision of these Regulations;
b. who has a right of abode in the United Kingdom by virtue of section 2 of the 1971 Act;
c. to whom section 8 of the 1971 Act, or any order made under subsection (2) of that provision, applies; or
d. who has indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom

10.Where someone has limited leave (and so is not listed as one of the exempt categories above) and can demonstrate they meet all other requirements of regulation 15A, then they can acquire a derivative right of residence.
-

On 2 May 2019, the Home Office updated their guidance. The ‘Derivative Rights of Residence’ Home Office Guidance makes clear that the Home Office position. If there is an option to make a different type of immigration application, then you cannot succeed in an application for a Zambrano Derivative Residence Card.

Page 52 of the Guidance sets out:
“A derivative right to reside is only available to an applicant who has no other means to remain lawfully in the UK as the primary carer of a dependent British citizen, or a dependent of that primary carer.
The guidance continues:
“This means that a Zambrano application must be refused if the applicant:

has never made an application under Appendix FM to the Immigration Rules or any other Article 8 ECHR claim, where that avenue is available has been refused under Appendix FM or Article 8 ECHR but their circumstances have changed since the decision was made – for example, the applicant applied on the basis of their relationship with a British spouse, but the couple now have a British child” (emphasis added).
In June 2020, Mostyn J ruled....

In January 2022, Underhill LJ ruled....

Why I did not apply for a card
A person who claims to have a derivative right of residence may apply for a derivative residence card under regulation 18A if they are in the UK.

Why I applied for Leave to Remain under Appendix FM

I waited 15 months for my son's passport to be issued. The average processing time for a British passport is ___ months. Had my son's passport application been processed in a timely manner, I would not have applied for leave to remain under the UK rules (Appendix FM).
Last edited by marcidevpal on Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:17 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:50 am
Thank you sooooo much soo so much. Please is there a place to get a reference to add .

Also would an administrative review be the best then. Thank you.
I can't remember where it is exactly, but others on this forum may know the exact link. It is in the EU regs somewhere. It says a card is not mandatory to exercise your (derivative) rights.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:20 pm

I don't know if you should do an admin review. It really is up to you given your particular circumstances. They are likely to take a long time and still say no. You can also go ahead with the appeal to the FtT.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:30 pm

Thanks a lot. Am confused. I don't even know where to start .

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:41 pm

Witness Statements

The statement must be headed ‘Witness statement’.

Under this (usually on the right-hand side) you should insert details of:

the application number
your name
SSHD's name

You should insert the following information: the name of the person making the statement and your address

Include the facts you wish the judge to know
You should explain the facts which you consider support your case.

The statement must include the words ‘I believe that the facts stated in this witness statement are true’. Then sign and date the statement.

If the statement of truth and signature are on a different page from the rest of the statement, the whole statement (including the statement of truth) should have paragraph numbers.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:43 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:30 pm
A. Create a witness statement

B. Answer questions the judge may ask in your witness statement, for example

1. Outline your immigration history
2. Explain briefly what is a Zambrano carer
3. Provide the eu definition of a Zambrano carer
4. Provide the uk definition of a Zambrano carer
5. Explain why you are a Zambrano carer
6. Explain why you didn't apply for a card
7. Explain why you applied for ltr under appendix fm

C. If your answers refer to publications or documents, include those documents in your bundle.

The goal is for the judge to agree you are a Zambrano carer after reading your statement.

Then, you will have to address why you should get permanent residence despite having leave to remain. It is the same problem Ms Akinsaya has.

So, you have two parts to your claim. You can perhaps ask the court to decide the first part and wait on the second part. If you are successful with the first part, and the judge agrees you are a Zambrano carer, you can wait for people who are represented to prove your second part. Then, forward a copy of their decisions to your judge once it is published.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:49 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
If the Home Office agrees you are a Zambrano carer, then the first part is done. If the Home Office do not agree you are a Zambrano carer, then you have to go to court and get the judge to determine you are a Zambrano carer.

You need to read your refusal letter and understand what you are challenging. Understand the nature of your particular refusal decision. Understand what the Home Office is arguing against you. Why they don't believe you qualify. Start there. You have to tell the judge what you understand the problem to be and say why the other side is wrong.

Kmt2014
Nigeria

Post by Kmt2014 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 1:01 pm

This is my decision letter. Thanks so much.
Attachments
20221029_125914.jpg
20221029_125914.jpg (448 KiB) Viewed 1232 times

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 3:39 pm

You need to read the letter to determine why you think they refused you.

The first question is, based on what you read,
Did they say you are NOT a Zambrano carer? If so, where in the letter does it say that?
Did they say you are a Zambrano carer? If so, where in the letter does it say that?
You have three options:
  • Read the letter again and again until you have reached a decision. It's in there somewhere. You just have to spend the time.
  • Alternatively, if you have a friend, ask them to read it, too.
  • The court may have a litigant in person service. They can help you go through the letter. There are also charities.
Next, write down the sentence or sentences that support your decision. Add those sentences to your appeal.

Remember, you are a litigant in person. You have to understand your opponent's arguments to develop strong arguments for yourself.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:16 pm

Updated Sample Witness Statement:

0. Discuss any disabilities or special circumstances
1. Outline your immigration history
2. Explain briefly what is a Zambrano carer
3. Provide the eu definition of a Zambrano carer
4. Provide the uk definition of a Zambrano carer
5. Explain why you are a Zambrano carer
6. Explain why you didn't apply for a card
7. Explain why you applied for ltr under appendix fm

examples of special circumstances:
  • physical impairment such as sight loss
  • cognitive impairment such as dyslexia
  • mental health issues such as severe anxiety
  • lanugage issues
You can also send an email to the court letting the judge know. The court will make arrangements accordingly.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:24 pm

Kmt2014 wrote:
My understanding of this forum is that it can not do either of two things:

1.) Tell you if you are a Zambrano carer
2.) Interpret your decision letter for you

Alternatively, you can go to a friend, a legal charity or the litigant in person service by the courts.

Once you have figured out the answers to those two questions, this forum is good at sharing points you may or may not want to raise in your appeal.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:32 pm

It is also really important to not just copy and paste content.

Understand
  • your specific circumstances,
  • what the arguments are for against your application, and
  • why they should be challenged.
Also, include paragraph numbers for the documents you plan to send in your bundle.

If you send the documents but do not reference where in the document you rely on, the judge may not read it or take it into account. References for the sake of references are no good.
marcidevpal wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:49 am
POSSIBLE BUNDLE LIST SO FAR

Note: This proposed bundle is if you were refused for the same reason as Ms Akinsaya. If you were refused for other reasons, you may need a different bundle!!!.

It is not enough to just send documents over. You need to know why you are sending them to the judge. You should explain why in your arguments document.

Your original application
Notice of Decision

Your witness statement
Your arguments

Home Office guidance published online on 13 June 2022 - paragraphs (XXX)
House of Commons Library, Briefing Paper, Number 8584, Published February 2020 - paragraphs (XXX)

Akinsaya decision by Judge Mostyn J - paragraphs (XXX)
Akinsaya decision by Court of Appeal - Underhill LJ - paragraphs (XXX)
Velaj - paragraphs (XXX)
Aftar - paragraphs (XXX)
Noel - paragraphs (XXX)

Article 3(2)(e) of Directive 2003/109 - paragraphs (XXX)
Withdrawal Agreement - Articles 4 and 10 -paragraphs (XXX)
Article 20
Article 21

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:40 pm

I put both posts in to one post. It is just an opinion. Do not copy and paste.

POSSIBLE BUNDLE LIST SO FAR

Note: This proposed bundle is if you were refused for the same reason as Ms Akinsaya. If you were refused for other reasons, you may need a different bundle!!!.

It is not enough to just send documents over. You need to know why you are sending them to the judge. You should explain why in your arguments document.
  • Your original application
  • Notice of Decision
  • Your witness statement
  • Your arguments
  • Home Office guidance published online on 13 June 2022 - paragraphs (XXX)
  • House of Commons Library, Briefing Paper, Number 8584, Published February 2020 - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Akinsaya decision by Judge Mostyn J - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Akinsaya decision by Court of Appeal - Underhill LJ - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Velaj - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Aftar - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Noel - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Article 3(2)(e) of Directive 2003/109 - paragraphs (XXX)
  • Withdrawal Agreement - Articles 4 and 10 -paragraphs (XXX)
  • Article 20
  • Article 21
Points to consider

1. On the SSHD's original Intention

After Brexit 2016, Parliament, the Government and the Home Office stated their original intention. They said they would allow people who were lawfully in the UK to remain in the UK. Between Brexit and March 2019, the Home Office said specifically that their intention was to allow Zambrano carers to qualify for settlement under the EU scheme (Appendix EU). After March 2019, the Home Office changed their intention. They created two categories of Zambrano carers. Even if they now want to say this document represents their original intention, which we don't accept, their original intention, is irrational and discriminatory. There is no public benefit to excluding Zambrano carers like Ms Akinsaya from settlement. By granting settlement to just a subcategory of Zambrano carers, the Home Office makes a distinction that is unlawful. Zambrano carers should not be punished for the Home Office's incorrect definition of the term Zambrano carer.

2. On the SSHD's behaviour leading up to 31 December 2020

The Home Office strongly encouraged Zambrano carers to apply for leave to remain under Appendix FM and then later refused those same applicants under Appendix EU. Second,the Home Office refer to the EEA Regulations in their recent refusal letters. The Home Office rely on only the parts of the EEA Regulations they agree with. At the very least, they should have communicate how their position differs from the EEA Regulations in a fair, timely and transparent way. Moreover, if the Home Office rely on the Regulations as a basis for their decisions, which they did in their recent batch of refusals, then they should have to accept the EEA Regulations' definition of a Zambrano carer. According to the Court of Appeal, Ms Akinsaya is a Zambrano carer. I can't see how the Home Office can be permitted to 'cherry pick' what areas of the EEA regulations they agree with, but perhaps someone has case law on this point to show they can.

3. On the 2003 Directive

The 2003 Directive grants permanent residence to third country nationals who reside in an EU member state for five years and meet certain basic requirements. For many years, it was argued that Zambrano carers could not rely on this directive because they had a temporary status. They were put into the same group as au pairs. In March 2022, the Netherlands judge referred the question of whether Ms E.K., a Ghanain national, was entitled to Directive 2003, to the District Chamber in The Hague. In September 2022, the Grand Chamber ruled she was covered by the 2003 Directive. Had the UK courts recognised Zambrano carers under the 2003 Directive, Ms Akinsaya would have acquired permanent residence by 2017.

4. On the Withdrawal Agreement

The Withdrawal Agreement is considered to not apply directly to UK based Zambrano carers of British children. The WA references the 2004 Directive. The 2004 Directive does not account for this group. However, the WA asks UK judges to take into consideration EU rulings post Brexit:

Article 4: Methods and principles relating to the effect, the implementation and the application of this Agreement
5. In the interpretation and application of this Agreement, the United Kingdom's judicial and administrative authorities shall have due regard to relevant case law of the Court of Justice of the European Union handed down after the end of the transition period.
The September ruling on the 2003 Directive establishes that Ms Akinsaya had a right to reside permanently in the UK. This right is based on human rights. Once a human right is acquired, it can not be taken away at a group level, and not without good, specific reasons. Yet, the Withdrawal Agreement, as currently worded, appears to do just that:
PART TWO CITIZENS' RIGHTS TITLE I GENERAL PROVISIONS Article 9 Definitions

For the purposes of this Part, and without prejudice to Title III, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "family members" means the following persons, irrespective of their nationality, who fall within the personal scope provided for in Article 10 of this Agreement:
(i) family members of Union citizens or family members of United Kingdom nationals as defined in point (2) of Article 2 of Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council (5);
(ii) persons other than those defined in Article 3(2) of Directive 2004/38/EC whose presence is required by Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals in order not to deprive those Union citizens or United Kingdom nationals of a right of residence granted by this Part;
Either the WA is unlawful, because it strips UK based Zambrano carers of British children of their acquired right, or this group is protected by the Withdrawal Agreement.

If they are protected by the WA, Ms Akinsaya is entitled to permanent residence under the EU Settlement Scheme:
Article 15 Right of permanent residence

1. Union citizens and United Kingdom nationals, and their respective family members, who have resided legally in the host State in accordance with Union law for a continuous period of 5 years or for the period specified in Article 17 of Directive 2004/38/EC, shall have the right to reside permanently in the host State under the conditions set out in Articles 16, 17 and 18 of Directive 2004/38/EC. Periods of legal residence or work in accordance with Union law before and after the end of the transition period shall be included in the calculation of the qualifying period necessary for acquisition of the right of permanent residence.

2. Continuity of residence for the purposes of acquisition of the right of permanent residence shall be determined in accordance with Article 16(3) and Article 21 of Directive 2004/38/EC.

3. Once acquired, the right of permanent residence shall be lost only through absence from the host State for a period exceeding 5 consecutive years.
Moreover, Article 21 of the TFEU calls for the protection of people who exercised their right to reside as part of their human rights. The UK agreed to uphold Article 21 in the Withdrawal Agreement.

5.The SSHD's position provides no public benefit

A Zambrano right is a human right. It should apply universally. However, there are now four types of Zambrano carers.

1.) Zambrano carers based in an EU member state;
2.) Zambrano carers based in the UK, who never applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM;
3.) Parents who applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM and then later applied for a derivative residence card; and,
4.) Zambrano carers based in the UK who applied for leave to remain under Appendix FM.

Group 1 will now have permanent residence after 5 years under the 2003 Directive (as long as they meet the basic requirements). Group 2 seems to have been granted settlement by the Home Office. Group 3 seem unlikely to ever get EU settlement because the Court of Appeal ruled they are not really Zambrano carers. Group 4 represents two groups. The first group managed to get settlement either by going to court or because the Home Office gave them residence. The second group, the Akinsaya group, are fighting for residence.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:36 pm

Article 3(2)(e) of Directive 2003/109

Council Directive 2003/109/EC of 25 November 2003 concerning the status of third-country nationals who are long-term residents

(25) In accordance with Articles 1 and 2 of the Protocol on the position of the United Kingdom and Ireland, annexed to the Treaty on European Union and to the Treaty establishing the European Community, and without prejudice to Article 4 of the said Protocol, these Member States are not participating in the adoption of this Directive and are not bound by or subject to its application.

Directive 2011/51/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 11 May 2011 amending Council Directive 2003/109/EC to extend its scope to beneficiaries of international protection

(14) In accordance with Articles 1 and 2 of the Protocol (No 21) on the Position of the United Kingdom and Ireland in respect of the Area of Freedom, Security and Justice, annexed to the Treaty on European Union and to the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, and without prejudice to Article 4 of that Protocol, those Member States are not taking part in the adoption of this Directive and are not bound by it or subject to its application.

PROTOCOL (No 21)

Article 1
Subject to Article 3, the United Kingdom and Ireland shall not take part in the adoption by the Council of proposed measures pursuant to Title V of Part Three of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

Article 2
In consequence of Article 1 and subject to Articles 3, 4 and 6, none of the provisions of Title V of Part Three of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, no measure adopted pursuant to that Title, no provision of any international agreement concluded by the Union pursuant to that Title, and no decision of the Court of Justice interpreting any such provision or measure shall be binding upon or applicable in the United Kingdom or Ireland; and no such provision, measure or decision shall in any way affect the competences, rights and obligations of those States; and no such provision, measure or decision shall in any way affect the Community or Union acquis nor form part of Union law as they apply to the United Kingdom or Ireland.

Article 4
The United Kingdom or Ireland may at any time after the adoption of a measure by the Council pursuant to Title V of Part Three of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union notify its intention to the Council and to the Commission that it wishes to accept that measure.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:48 pm

In October 1999, the European Council stated that third-country nationals who have
  • resided legally in a Member State for a period of time and
  • who hold a long-term residence permit
should be granted rights which are as near as possible to those enjoyed by citizens of the European Union.

In 2003 and again in 2011, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Denmark negotiated an exemption from this requirement.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:06 pm

Rights of third-country nationals who are long-term residents in the EU - Directive 2003/109/EC

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eudr/200 ... n/data.pdf

UK based Zambrano carers of British children are not covered by Directive 2003/109/EC.

But that doesn't really matter. At least it shouldn't.

Why? Because, like the Zambrano right, this Directive also came in to being in order to allow third party nationals to exercise their human rights. See paragraph three of the Directive -
3. This Directive respects the fundamental rights and observes the principles recognised in particular by the
  • European Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms (better known as the European Convention on Human Rights) and by the
  • Charter of Fundamental Rights of the European Union (CFR).
The Zambrano (derivative) right to reside is also based on the ECHR and the CFR.

Therefore, all Zambrano carers, regardless of where they are based in the European Union, should have a right to permanent residence.

The arguments for the extension of this right are outlined in the E.K. versus Netherlands case from September 2022.

In other words, the UK may have opted out of the 2003 Directive, but it did not opt out of the ECHR and CFR before Brexit. And even after Brexit, it is still a member of the ECHR.

If the UK courts rule against Ms Akinsaya, her case should ideally go before the ECHR.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:18 pm

The SSHD / Home Office would probably say, we are following the ECHR. Under Appendix FM, you can qualify for permanent residence after a 5 or 10 years.

The problem is that third country national parents of British children have already spent 5, or even 10 years lawfully in the UK under the Zambrano route.

It would be unfair or a violation of their rights to ask them to pay thousands of pounds and spend another 5 or 10 years waiting for permanent residence.

Ms Akinsaya could argue that regardless of the Home Office's original intention, the UK subscribes to the ECHR. And, under the ECHR, she should be granted permanent residence by now, because she has lived in the UK since at least 2012.

marcidevpal
BANNED
Mood:
Australia

Post by marcidevpal » Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:22 pm

Therefore, in your submissions, it may be worth making a higher level argument.

At a lower level, you can make arguments about the EEA Regulations, the 2003 Directive, the Withdrawal Agreement, etc

On the higher level, you can also argue that you should get permanent residence because a failure to do so would be a violation under the European Convention on Human Rights.

Mypapers
Newly Registered
Albania

Post by Mypapers » Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:40 pm

forney-again wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:05 pm
Mypapers wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:49 pm
forney-again wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:58 pm
Mypapers wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:37 pm
forney-again wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:51 pm
Mypapers wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:13 pm
I thought this country was equal for all its citizens obviously not as my 3 year old daughter Every plane sees going past in the sky she says wanna go to Nana and Grandad plus the miserable face she sees in me
If your case is similar to Akinsaya's, you can let her barristers do the work. You just need to keep your claim active.
I am a partner to the British citizen And we have three old girl British citizen. I came here illegally 2018 in 2019 I was granted Visa 2 1/2 years 10 years route But at the end of 2019 my partner had an accident at work which he still suffering today And cannot work because of this. Applied for Zambrano June 2021 because we could not afford Visa fees as there is no income homing i apart from universal credit that my partner gets. I also applied for my extension Visa in April 2022 Still awaiting decision in both application or British three year old daughter was born here. I am the prime care of our daughter because my partner is not well enough to look after her
It sounds like you are dealing with a lot.It also sounds like you have a good chance of being considered a Zambrano carer. You may want to contact your MP. They may contact the Home Office and ask them to make a decision sooner.

So, limited leave to remain under Appendix FM in 2019 and Zambrano in June 2021.

Ideally, you should keep your Zambrano application going until Akinsaya's claim is finally decided. If you get refused on your EU Settlement you can apply for administrative review for 80 or to the First Tier Tribunal for 80. Or you could apply to both. You have 14 days to apply to the First Tier Tribunal.

I can't tell if you have recourse to public funds or if you are restricted from public funds. There are charities that can help you apply to get a restriction lifted for no recourse to public funds.
Thank you for the reply and your help I wish you all the best as well and everyone in here. Now should I contact my local MP regarding the Zambrano application or Visa extension Or both at the same time?
You should do a complete timeline like this

Dear XXX MP,

I write to request your help with two outstanding applications with the Home Office. The first application is for settlement under Appendix EU. The second application is to extend my leave to remain under Appendix FM.

My British partner was injured in 20XX and can not work. I am the sole carer of our 3 year old child. We struggle financially.

I would like your help to accomplish either (or both) of the following:
1.) A faster decision on my outstanding Zambrano application under Appendix EU
2.) The removal of no recourse to public funds on my Appendix FM visa

My immigration history is as follows:
January 2018 - I arrive on a 3 month visitor's visa
April 2018 - My visa expires. I am an overstayer.
January 2019 - I apply for limited leave to remain under the 10 year route. I am granted limited leave to remain for 2.5 years
February 2019 - I give birth to my son in the UK

Thank you for your assistance. I would appreciate an opportunity to speak to you in person during your office hours. You can also reach me by phone on XXXXX or via email on xxXXX
Dear forney-again Hope you’re well
After your help I contacted my local MP to contact Home Office regarding my applications Home Office Written back to my MP as follows

Thank you for your email correspondence of 16 August 2022 on behalf of Mr xxx and Ms xxx of 18 ……………….. about their immigration applications. I am sorry for the delay in responding.

Ms xxxx presently has 3c leave from her previous application which continues her right to work without access to public funds. Unfortunately, we are unable to change the conditions implemented by 3c leave. Mr xxxx may be entitled to certain funds due to the accident he sustained in 2018.

Both the EU and Family & Private Life (FLR(FP)) applications remain in a queue to be considered. FLR(FP) applications are not currently subject to any service standards. Our website was updated on 31 March 2022 to advise that applications made on a 10-year partner, parent or private life route (and also on a 5-year parent route) are now taking around 11 months to complete; some may take longer. Further details are available on our website at: www.gov.uk/guidance/visa-decision-waiti ... amily-visa.

Applications are considered on their own merits, and we endeavour to consider them as quickly as possible. However, there may be circumstances which result in an extended delay in the application processing time. In addition to this, the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic continue to have an impact upon our operations, leading to wait times significantly longer for customers than experienced prior to the pandemic.

We have considered the request to expedite Ms xxxx application. We normally only accept requests to expedite an application where there are serious, compassionate or compelling circumstances (such as the need to attend a funeral or to act as a primary carer to a seriously ill relative abroad). Unfortunately, we do not accept that Ms xxxx circumstances meet our criteria for her application to be expedited. Whilst we understand that Ms xxxxx wishes to provide financially for themselves and their family, we do not accept that their present lack of a right to access public funds amounts to an exceptional circumstance.

Ms xxxxx application for Leave to Remain has not therefore been put forward to be expedited. We understand that this may be disappointing news. However, we have to treat all applicants in a fair and consistent manner, and it would be inappropriate of us to consider her application ahead of others who have been waiting longer for a decision on their cases.

Ms xxx EU application also remains in a queue to be processed. For further information and our contact details can be found on our website at: www.gov.uk/contact-ukvi-inside-outside-uk/y. It is not the intention to cause any unnecessary delay and every endeavour is being made to make decisions at the earliest opportunity. As soon as a decision has been made on the outstanding applications Ms xxxx and will be notified accordingly.

Yours sincerely

Xxx
MP Account Management Team
Visas, Information and Passports
Customer Services
www.homeoffice.gov.uk