ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question about parents nationality

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

A few questions around dates

Post by londoner2015 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm approaching 1 year on ILR and would like to clarify a few questions around dates before applying for citizenship. My situation is:
  • Received ILR on 22-11-2021 (approval email came in around 14:00).
  • Spent 85 days outside the UK since then (assuming I'm counting them correctly - see below).
  • Going on holiday again on 22-11-2022 (have my flight at 9:00 in the morning).
  • Was in the UK on 22-11-2017 (5 years ago).
My questions are:
  • Can someone please confirm that I should only count days where I spent 24h outside the UK? For example, if I flew out on 18-03-2022 and came back on 21-03-2022, am I correct to assume that counts as 2 days of absence (and not 4)?
  • Can I apply (online) on 22-11-2022 in the morning, even though I will be (technically) a few hours short of a complete year since my ILR was approved (on 22-11-2021 14:00)?
  • My upcoming holiday is going to bring me over 90 days of absence from the UK. I am correct to assume that this does not matter as long as I submit my application on 22-11-2022 (even if my biometrics appointment will be when I come back)?
Thanks!

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

Re: A few questions around dates

Post by londoner2015 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:38 pm

Just to clarify, one of the reasons I started this topic is that the FAQ says I should be in the UK on the application date. I am trying to understand if it's okay to leave the UK in the middle of the application date, or that's not allowed

Bash_
Syria

Re: A few questions around dates

Post by Bash_ » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:33 am

londoner2015 wrote:
Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:24 pm
My questions are:
  • Can someone please confirm that I should only count days where I spent 24h outside the UK? For example, if I flew out on 18-03-2022 and came back on 21-03-2022, am I correct to assume that counts as 2 days of absence (and not 4)?
  • Can I apply (online) on 22-11-2022 in the morning, even though I will be (technically) a few hours short of a complete year since my ILR was approved (on 22-11-2021 14:00)?
  • My upcoming holiday is going to bring me over 90 days of absence from the UK. I am correct to assume that this does not matter as long as I submit my application on 22-11-2022 (even if my biometrics appointment will be when I come back)?
Thanks!
- Yes, you dont need to count day of departure/arrival
- you are way overthinking this, the home office won't count hours, minutes, or seconds (like the point above)
- the point is that on the day you submit your application, your absences are <90 days last year. doesn't matter afterward, assuming you'll be attending the biometric in time but even for that you can book accordingly.

btw, you should've been in the UK on 23-11-2017 not 22 (the counting is 5 years back + 1 day)

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

Question about parents nationality

Post by londoner2015 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:16 pm

Hey, so I've just reached the point in my application where I'm being asked about parents nationality, and I am confused.

Both my parents:
  • Were born in the USSR
  • Hold Russian citizenship
  • Hold Israeli citizenship since 2022
The form asks three questions:
  1. Country of birth - that's USSR
  2. Country of nationality - Russian Federation
  3. Have they always had the same nationality? - what am I supposed to put in here? Yes, they have always been Russian citizens (if you assume USSR = Russia). But no, their nationality status changed in 2022, as they now hold dual citizenship.
Would appreciate any advice on how to proceed.

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Question about parents nationality

Post by alterhase58 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:34 pm

Parents clearly hold Russian nationality so you could say YES and explain Israeli nationality separately if you can as part of the form, or attach a covering note explaining this aspect.

Not an issue. The purpose of the question is to ascertain whether an applicant may be British already through their parents and don’t know it!
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

londoner2015
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by londoner2015 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Parents clearly hold Russian nationality so you could say YES and explain Israeli nationality separately if you can as part of the form, or attach a covering note explaining this aspect.

Not an issue. The purpose of the question is to ascertain whether an applicant may be British already through their parents and don’t know it!
Ah thanks, it all makes sense now! Don't think there is space to explain the second nationality separately so I will just go for a YES.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:04 pm

londoner2015 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Ah thanks, it all makes sense now! Don't think there is space to explain the second nationality separately so I will just go for a YES.
You can do so in a cover note and upload.