ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

MikeyMike
Ireland

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by MikeyMike » Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 pm

Yeah, that'd be nice, but no, there's no shortcut. You have to send it back.

Ideally, wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for the passport up front with the FBR application fee and get them both done at the same time?
Simon Coveney, if you're reading this, here's another way to streamline the process. It's better for us and better for you.
Similar to FBR, a first time passport application requires a recent photograph (within six months, I think), a witnessed identification verification form and hard copies of the photograph notarised as a true likeness. So, unless a point is reached where FBR applications can be guaranteed to be completed in under 6 months, what you're suggesting can't currently happen.

Information about the applicant can also change in the time it takes to go through FBR, e.g. name, address. A valid photo ID also has to be submitted. What happens if that expires before the FBR part is done?

To make a combined application work, the Irish authorities would have to change all kinds of established processes and possibly the law, and for what? So FBR applicants can get their passports a week or two earlier?

In the grand scheme of things, the FBR backlog is a far bigger issue than the ability to make a joint FBR/passport application.

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:20 pm

spencer0523 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Passport time!

(on that, i havent found a list of documents needed, any pointers?)
Congrats!

I struggled with passport documents too.

I filed my passport application today and I'm gathering documents now.

If you're using PassportOnline, it's similar to the FBR process. You'll fill out the online form, upload a photo, pay your money, then print out a pdf. That pdf has the list of all the documents needed. The list is kind of spread out.

The cover page says I need:

● Cover page
● Identity Verification Form
● Birth certificate
● Documents to verify citizenship

The cover page is part of the pdf.
The Identity Verification Form is too. That needs to be verified and signed by a qualified witness.
Birth certificate, you already got this for your FBR and it'll be returned with your cert.

Next page has the additional documents. It says:

● Government issued photo identification (Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport or National ID card from another country, or original Driving Licence). Please
note: If resident outside of the State, certified copies of ID are accepted. A copy can be certified
by a police officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the
issuing authority.
● Proof of name (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)
● Proof of address (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)
● Citizenship documents from your category below (1-6)

We're category 3, Citizen through Foreign Birth Registration:
● Foreign Birth Registration Certificate; AND
● Original passport from country of birth (if you have one)

Hope that helps.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:28 pm

MikeyMike wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:36 pm
Yeah, that'd be nice, but no, there's no shortcut. You have to send it back.

Ideally, wouldn't it be nice if you could pay for the passport up front with the FBR application fee and get them both done at the same time?
Simon Coveney, if you're reading this, here's another way to streamline the process. It's better for us and better for you.
Similar to FBR, a first time passport application requires a recent photograph (within six months, I think), a witnessed identification verification form and hard copies of the photograph notarised as a true likeness. So, unless a point is reached where FBR applications can be guaranteed to be completed in under 6 months, what you're suggesting can't currently happen.

Information about the applicant can also change in the time it takes to go through FBR, e.g. name, address. A valid photo ID also has to be submitted. What happens if that expires before the FBR part is done?

To make a combined application work, the Irish authorities would have to change all kinds of established processes and possibly the law, and for what? So FBR applicants can get their passports a week or two earlier?

In the grand scheme of things, the FBR backlog is a far bigger issue than the ability to make a joint FBR/passport application.
Just to note, if you live in a country that is allowed to use passport online (like the US, Europe, and others) then you use a digital copy of your photo for your passport which doesn't require notarization. You upload the photo as part of the online application.

As for a combined application it could be done. They could reuse the FBR cert, birth certificate, certified copy of the passport etc, and then just request updated documents for proof of address and name. Passport Online already leverages technology for the passport picture. The identity verification would be the tricky part. And that is the most important part of it.

Given that the current process including receiving the FBR cert and then resending all the passport documentation back to Ireland takes less than 3 months, which is not bad, they probably don't consider it a priority to introduce a whole new process that would potentially introduce new risks to the security and integrity by moving the entire process online.

Just my guess.

WJRob1
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by WJRob1 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:20 am

● Government issued photo identification (Copy of front and back of Public Services Card, or
original passport or National ID card from another country, or original Driving Licence). Please
note: If resident outside of the State, certified copies of ID are accepted. A copy can be certified
by a police officer, a solicitor, the witness who signs your Identity Verification Form, or by the
issuing authority.
● Proof of name (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)
● Proof of address (for example, original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence)

Hope that helps.
[/quote]

Thank you, it helps a lot. Another dim question from me though :? ...

The first point asks for a certified copy of a government issued photo identification (eg passport or driving licence). I would also be in category 3, so is it saying that I need to send my actual passport as well as a certified copy??? That'd mean I couldn't travel for the duration of my application - that's not right surely...

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:38 pm

hey just another update

i spoke to fbr on the phone , they were not helpful, i get there busy and each application or person doing it has its processing time scale.

i am an April 2020 application - is anyone else an april application ?

and yes i had to resend my id copys and get it noterised again. which i think mine is not going as quick as others.

but i did have confirmation of my address to send my documents back 18/10/22 and have not heard nothing since. but guy on fbr phone said it be a few more weeks. i know many have been waiting 3/4 weeks for the congrats and your entry on fbr has been registered. and many said it depends on diffrent teams or person whos doing it. ive been waiting now near on 17 days. its silly watching my emails and checking. but be happy when i can get on to the passport stage.

anyway i keep you all in the loop . good luck to everyone

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:15 pm

kerrilarkin wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:38 pm
hey just another update

i spoke to fbr on the phone , they were not helpful, i get there busy and each application or person doing it has its processing time scale.

and yes i had to resend my id copys and get it noterised again. which i think mine is not going as quick as others.

but i did have confirmation of my address to send my documents back 18/10/22 and have not heard nothing since. but guy on fbr phone said it be a few more weeks. i know many have been waiting 3/4 weeks for the congrats and your entry on fbr has been registered. and many said it depends on diffrent teams or person whos doing it. ive been waiting now near on 17 days. its silly watching my emails and checking. but be happy when i can get on to the passport stage.

When did you submit your paperwork and did you get a notification of when it was put onto the system, as THAT is the important date?

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:37 pm

kerrilarkin wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:38 pm
hey just another update

Did you address confirmation include language saying your application was approved or about to be approved?

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:44 pm

my application for citizenship 26/04/2020

hard copies / 6/10/22
docs received 18/10/22
address confirmation via email 18/10/22

now waiting on congrats email & entry on FBR

and certificate

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:47 pm

all i got from my guy doing my application was can i confirm my address so they can send my documents back and this was on the 18/10/22

nothing said ive been approved or waiting to be approved

and than said best regards

nothing else

Daveb77
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Daveb77 » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:04 pm

WJRob1 wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:20 am

issuing authority.

Hope that helps.
Thank you, it helps a lot. Another dim question from me though :? ...

The first point asks for a certified copy of a government issued photo identification (eg passport or driving licence). I would also be in category 3, so is it saying that I need to send my actual passport as well as a certified copy??? That'd mean I couldn't travel for the duration of my application - that's not right surely...
[/quote]

I photocopied my UK passport, and my driving licence, got my witness to certify them, and they accepted that. So, as far as i am concerned, no need to send your original passport

Mr_Knight
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Mr_Knight » Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:20 pm

I have seen here multiple times that for people from the UK a certified copy of Passport is sufficient.

dmc1226
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dmc1226 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:48 pm

First time poster with good news (hopefully!)

Application Date: 23 Oct 2020
Docs received: 2 Dec 2020
Address Conf: 4 Nov 2022

FBR email said no indication of successful application, but at least it's progress after nearly 2 years.

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:21 pm

Update!!
Application submitted online: 2nd September 2020
Email acknowledging receipt of documentation: 16th September 2020
Confirmation of address email: 4th November 2022
Congrats email: Pending

I also received the email stating that this is no guarantee of a successful application:

"I am currently reviewing your application for entry into the Foreign Births Register,

To ensure these documents are dispatched to the correct address you should confirm your address by return email. If you have moved address since you completed your application you should provide a scanned copy of proof of that new address, e.g. original utility bills, bank statements, government correspondence.

You will receive a confirmation email when if your application is successful, but should further documentation be required to support your application I will be contact with you.

Receiving this email is in no indication of a successful outcome of you application, but by confirming your address you are enabling us to process your application more efficiently.

Please note that your documents will be sent via Registered post and someone will need to be available to sign for the envelope."

Even so I can hardly hold my excitement that it is finally happening and I'm seeing some progress on my application. My application was a joint one with my sibling. I have since moved address but he still lives at our family home where we first submitted the application so I am unsure as to whether to provide my new address details or just have it delivered to my mom's address and then pick it up from her when it arrives.

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:49 pm

hey folks me again

i spoke to the guy who processed my application

he said it was processed and sent for final checks

but he cant say how long or how much longer it will be till its ready and sent out to me , as its handled ny a different team

so thats an upside i guess

and a waiting game of sorts

Tourin31
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by Tourin31 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:45 pm

The Passport Service is recruiting temporary clerical officers, including to work on FBR applications, hopefully it will ramp up even more. Can't believe we have reached Dec 2020 received docs!

https://dfa.ie/about-us/working-with-us ... llaght.php

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:20 pm
spencer0523 wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:22 pm

Passport time!

(on that, i havent found a list of documents needed, any pointers?)
Congrats!

I struggled with passport documents too.

I filed my passport application today and I'm gathering documents now.

If you're using PassportOnline, it's similar to the FBR process. You'll fill out the online form, upload a photo, pay your money, then print out a pdf. That pdf has the list of all the documents needed. The list is kind of spread out.

The cover page says I need:

● Cover page
● Identity Verification Form
● Birth certificate
● Documents to verify citizenship

The cover page is part of the pdf.
The Identity Verification Form is too. That needs to be verified and signed by a qualified witness.
Birth certificate, you already got this for your FBR and it'll be returned with your cert.

issuing authority.

Hope that helps.
I am curious if applying for a passport in between getting the request for information and getting FBR approval is legal?

xRGHx
Newly Registered
Canada

Post by xRGHx » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:39 pm

dmc1226 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:48 pm

FBR email said no indication of successful application, but at least it's progress after nearly 2 years.
December 2020, I cannot believe it!!! I wasn't expecting us Dec 2020 applicants to hear anything until summer 2023....hopefully they breeze through Dec. I've been checking this forum daily since submitting, and it's so great to see so many people getting great news!

ellen35743
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ellen35743 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:55 pm

Update:

Very excited to have received my Congratulations email today.

Application date: 28 Sep 2020
Documents received: 9 Oct 2020
Address check: 27 Oct 2022
Congrats email: 4 Nov 2022
FBR cert received:

GoingBackBackToEire
Ireland

Post by GoingBackBackToEire » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:29 pm

input-output wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 pm
I am curious if applying for a passport in between getting the request for information and getting FBR approval is legal?
I waited until I got my FBR cert in the mail, but I suppose technically you could do it after the 'congrats' email.

With PassportOnline, you do have to attest that you are an Irish citizen and the website says it's a criminal offense if you're not.
It only takes a few minutes to apply with PassportOnline. I'd wait until you get your cert in the mail. You have to wait for that anyway.

input-output
Armenia

Post by input-output » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:50 pm

GoingBackBackToEire wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:29 pm
input-output wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 pm
I waited until I got my FBR cert in the mail, but I suppose technically you could do it after the 'congrats' email.

With PassportOnline, you do have to attest that you are an Irish citizen and the website says it's a criminal offense if you're not.
It only takes a few minutes to apply with PassportOnline. I'd wait until you get your cert in the mail. You have to wait for that anyway.
Thanks mate. I spent 30 minutes pulling all details hoping that I can save the application's progress. once I came to that screen, I realised that it is not worth making that (tehcnically at present) false statement.

Apple10
England

Post by Apple10 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:52 pm

dmc1226 wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:48 pm

Wow! Are you the first person in ages to go under the 2 year wait time?! Exciting and congratulations!

ronaldbutterbean
Newly Registered
Christmas Island

Post by ronaldbutterbean » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:57 am

Another December 2022!
Application Date
12-Oct-2020
Document Acceptance
1-Dec-2020
Adrress Confirmation
5-Nov-2022

The email aslso asked for the adresss of my witness as it wasnt clear enough on the document.

onlyzuul
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by onlyzuul » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:54 pm

Getting nervous that I missed something, since my documents were received Oct 15, 2020, and seeing December. I know others feel the same way who are probably still waiting from before my dates. It makes me worry that I missed something or they lost it. I’ve checked my junk and deleted messages but don’t see anything so I’m just guessing mine is with a slower team maybe (I hope). I’m so happy things are speeding up though for others who are waiting too.

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:03 pm

onlyzuul wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:54 pm
Getting nervous that I missed something, since my documents were received Oct 15, 2020, and seeing December. I know others feel the same way who are probably still waiting from before my dates. It makes me worry that I missed something or they lost it. I’ve checked my junk and deleted messages but don’t see anything so I’m just guessing mine is with a slower team maybe (I hope). I’m so happy things are speeding up though for others who are waiting too.
I would not worry at all. Most of the recent approvals (aside from that Dec 2 one) are from the first half of October.
I'm sure you'll hear something if the next few weeks.

JT97
United Kingdom

Post by JT97 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:30 am

onlyzuul wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:54 pm
I know how you feel. My documents were received a month before yours and only received the address confirmation email on Friday so I wouldn’t worry too much. It’ll come eventually and probably very soon.