ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Foreign Birth Registration

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wjcrichards
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Re: Foreign Birth Registration

Post by wjcrichards » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:48 am

A strange case here, for me...

I've just heard from the Urgent FBR Queries email address, after waiting almost four weeks for a response.

(This is the first update I've had since my documents were received on the 23rd of March 2020!)

Apparently the team sent my grandmother's birth certificate out to an external third party, accidentally...

How this happened - without any news or updates shared with me - I have no idea.

Luckily they now have it back in Balbriggan.

This would explain why I'm now six or seven months behind the processing curve!

Will

schmood
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by schmood » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am

Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

Longtime lurker. Just heard back from FBR. Unfortunately it's not good news.

Submitted my application — 19th October 2020
Docs received — 12th December 2020

I applied on the basis of both paternal grandparents who were born in Ireland. Unfortunately both have documentary issues.

My Irish grandma was adopted at birth. My father did not know this until later in life because it was a family secret. If I understand correctly, my grandmother's birth mother had her very young and out of wedlock so they gave the child to the family servants (?). It is then understood that my grandmother's birth mother was sent to the United States, but we know little else. My grandmother's birth certificate gives her a different last name to her last name listed on my Father's birth certificate and, if I remember correctly, her marriage certificate. My grandma's adoptive mother is listed as witness on the birth certificate (same last name as the marriage certificate and my Father's birth certificate, which I had hoped would be enough to link her to my Father). My father has 7 siblings and I have a recollection that one of them might have my Grandma's OG last name on them, but not sure, and don't know if that would even help (?)

My paternal grandfather was also born in Ireland, but he was the youngest of 13 children in a very rural area so I do not think the birth was registered (at least we could not find it anywhere :( )

FBR is asking for my grandmother’s court adoption order papers and her adoptive birth certificate so that they can link her to my father. I'm very doubtful these exist based on what I've been told, but I'd be grateful if anyone has ..

1) been in a similar position
2) knows how to find court adoption papers + adoptive birth certificate
3) knows how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance for your help! Would be so devastated if this won't work out.

schmood
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by schmood » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:31 am

Just writing a follow up to this — the Application for an Adoption Certificates on the Health Service Executive website takes requests only after 1931. My grandmother was born in 1928....

Tumbledwyer
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Tumbledwyer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:20 pm

Tumbledwyer wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:57 pm
Evening all,

Long time lurker here. Thank you all for keeping me sane.... whoever started 'The Spreadsheet' deserves a medal!

Application date: 01/09/2020
Documents received: 28/9/2020
Address check: 21/10/2022
Congrats email:
FBR cert received:

I know I've left a certificate out (pandemic brain!) so am fully expecting a query email to follow. Just excited to be at the top of the pile for now though!
Update! I've been accepted, woo hoo! Actually feeling quite stunned, after the 2 year wait. Can't quite believe it.....

Application date: 01/09/2020
Documents received: 28/9/2020
Address check: 21/10/2022
Congrats email: 9/11/2022
FBR cert received:

I've also moved straight on to panicking that my post (South London, UK) has been terrible the past 6 weeks or so, between Royal Mail strikes and staff shortages. Has anyone who's had their FBR cert in the UK recently actually had to sign for it? Is a recorded/trackable service used at all? :?

Tumbledwyer
Newly Registered
European Union

Post by Tumbledwyer » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:25 pm

BlimeyOReilly wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 pm
Someone posted this link on another site showing figures of applications received by month and approvals this year by month. Not sure where they got info from. Hope link works https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... 2BoK58UW-s
Thanks BlimeyOReilly - super interesting! Variable applications in 20/21 but the volumes in 2022 are consistently high.

mattskilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mattskilondon » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:35 pm

Hi
Last edited by mattskilondon on Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattskilondon
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by mattskilondon » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:39 pm

schmood wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am
Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

I applied on the basis of both paternal grandparents who were born in Ireland. Unfortunately both have documentary issues.

My Irish grandma was adopted at birth. My father did not know this until later in life because it was a family secret. If I understand correctly, my grandmother's birth mother had her very young and out of wedlock so they gave the child to the family servants (?). It is then understood that my grandmother's birth mother was sent to the United States, but we know little else. My grandmother's birth certificate gives her a different last name to her last name listed on my Father's birth certificate and, if I remember correctly, her marriage certificate. My grandma's adoptive mother is listed as witness on the birth certificate (same last name as the marriage certificate and my Father's birth certificate, which I had hoped would be enough to link her to my Father). My father has 7 siblings and I have a recollection that one of them might have my Grandma's OG last name on them, but not sure, and don't know if that would even help (?)

My paternal grandfather was also born in Ireland, but he was the youngest of 13 children in a very rural area so I do not think the birth was registered (at least we could not find it anywhere :( )

FBR is asking for my grandmother’s court adoption order papers and her adoptive birth certificate so that they can link her to my father. I'm very doubtful these exist based on what I've been told, but I'd be grateful if anyone has ..

Thank you in advance for your help! Would be so devastated if this won't work out.
Hi
I was in a similar (but not identical) situation with court adoption papers. I was asked to provide my mother's adoption records. In order to ask for this, my mother had to apply via an adoption agency in the county where she lives. It took a while but the court eventually confirmed they no longer held the adoption records due to a combination of time, court restructuring and wartime bomb damage. But they were able to provide some brief electronic correspondence which supported the link between my mother and her Irish (biological) father. All this happened in the UK, not in Ireland, as my mother was born in England. However, the FBR team accepted the info which the court provided, even though it fell far short of being an adoption record.
I hope this is helpful. Good luck!

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:04 pm

BlimeyOReilly wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:37 pm
Someone posted this link on another site showing figures of applications received by month and approvals this year by month. Not sure where they got info from. Hope link works https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?res ... 2BoK58UW-s
If this represents the online applications, then the person that posted that link has insider information...as I can confirm that between my application in March 2021 and my husband's in May 2021 there are 5001 applications between us. This spreadsheet shows 4917, so only 84 off the actual number. :D

corky100
United Kingdom

Post by corky100 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:40 pm

If it is real info, it implies a backlog of 41,477 applications!

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:51 pm

corky100 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:40 pm
If it is real info, it implies a backlog of 41,477 applications!
When I found this forum in August they were working on February applications (documents received). That was only 14 weeks ago. According to the approvals they've finalised 5393 applications in that time (give or take). That's an average of 385 a week.

There was a big rush in December 2020, but as has been discussed in the last few days, not everyone sent their paperwork with their application. Someone still hasn't sent theirs as they were following instructions from November 2021.

I actually find this quite encouraging after Brex/Covid!

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:40 pm

hey guys
i am officially irish if it weren't though ma granda louie from newrry co down this would not been possible

2.5 months of waiting { i think )

applied on 26/04/2020

i got the congrats email today 9/11/22 { early birthday pressie aye )

now i cant wait to get ma harp passport

less stressful and shorter wait

erin go braugh .. being sober 2 year 9 months tommrow thank fook they do Guinness 00 AF.

good luck to everyone

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:52 pm

kerrilarkin wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:40 pm
hey guys
i am officially irish if it weren't though ma granda louie from newrry co down this would not been possible

applied on 26/04/2020

erin go braugh .. being sober 2 year 9 months tommrow thank fook they do Guinness 00 AF.

good luck to everyone

Fantastic news!!!! Enjoy your Guinness 00, and congratulations on your sobriety!! :D

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:11 pm

kerrilarkin wrote:
hey guys

applied on 26/04/2020

good luck to everyone
Congrats! That is awesome! I also don't drink anymore, but I love Guinness 00!! Passport is indeed much less stressful and much quicker, and they still have a chat function where you can get answers!!

Slainte!

Dalton_Trumbo
Member of Standing
Ireland

Post by Dalton_Trumbo » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:20 pm

schmood wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:14 am
Help! Adoption issues

Hey all!

This may be an obvious thing to say, if so I apologize for the non-helpful reply, but have you tried the AAI?

https://www.aai.gov.ie/en/who-we-are/in ... cords.html

For your Grandfather, I believe they accept a baptismal certificate in lieu of an official birth certificate ... any chance of tracking that down?

kerrilarkin
Newly Registered
England

Post by kerrilarkin » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:21 pm

MrsC70 wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:52 pm
kerrilarkin wrote:
hey guys

applied on 26/04/2020

good luck to everyone

Fantastic news!!!! Enjoy your Guinness 00, and congratulations on your sobriety!! :D
thank you so much for ye kind comments much appricated

tullgor
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by tullgor » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:26 am

Dalton_Trumbo wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:59 pm
MikeyMike wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:41 pm
tullgor wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:29 pm
Apologies if this has been answered before but I don't see a definitive answer in the thread.

My FBR certificate is on it's way to me and I am gathering documents for my passport application. If I use a bank statement as a proof of address, does it need to be an official copy of the statement, mailed from the bank or can I print a statement from my online account? Has anyone had a successful passport application using a printed bank statement? Thanks!
If you want to be sure, perhaps call your bank/utility and ask for a one-off printed statement. Something I've done in the past is changed my online account preferences from paperless to mailed statements and then flipped it back once I received the latest statement in paper form. As soon as I receive my FBR congratulations email I'll be doing exactly that.
If you really want to provide "original" copy of bank statement, you could also go to your bank, ask them to print one and stamp it for you.
Thank you for your responses, MikeyMike and Dalton_Trumbo. Really appreciate your input!

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:00 pm

Wait, if they are only processing approximately 400 applications per week but are receiving about 2.5K applications per month, does that mean that the FBR waiting time is getting longer? Does that mean that each week the processing time for future applicants increases?

sloanb
Newly Registered
Mood:
Spain

Post by sloanb » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:49 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:00 pm
Wait, if they are only processing approximately 400 applications per week but are receiving about 2.5K applications per month, does that mean that the FBR waiting time is getting longer? Does that mean that each week the processing time for future applicants increases?
It probably did in recent months, when staff were reallocated to passport processing, but I don't think that's so now. The spreadsheet posted by BlimeyOReilly (final post on page 233) shows that they've ramped up approvals from 822 in August, did 2,403 last month and are on track to do around 4,000 in November, so any backlog should now be starting to fall again. They're flying :D .

I'm a January 2022 docs received and I'm quietly confident that my wait will be less than 18 months. Hope I've not jinxed it. As you're docs received April 21 I expect you're not going to have too long to wait ~6 weeks? Be a nice Christmas present :wink:

MrsC70
Scotland

Post by MrsC70 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:57 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
I would say the wait time for 2022 applications will not go down as they are significantly higher than 2022/2021 numbers. Someone had posted that the FBR was advertising for more staff, so hopefully, they have also managed to see the problems ahead of them.

LurkerAug2020
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by LurkerAug2020 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:27 pm

Just updating my timeline. I will update the spread sheet to for those still using it.

Online Application: 15 August 2020
Application (docs?) Received: 25 August 2020
Address Check: 19 Oct 2022
Congrats email: 10 November
Cert Received:

It took almost a month to get confirmation after address check. Maybe the quick flurry in October was an anomaly and they've slowed down again. I've also heard that some teams do the address check at the start on processing an application and other teams do it at the end. So some will get confirmation on the same day as an address check, whilst some like me will have to wait a bit. Good luck to the rest of you, I can't wait to send for my passport now!

Pmc87
Newly Registered
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Pmc87 » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:45 pm

FrozenTundra wrote:
From the spreadsheet…

“ The processed numbers for 2022 only record applications which have been successfully completed, and does not include incomplete applications which after entitlement checking have been found to require further documentation, nor applications which have been rejected for no entitlement, which is data that is not ordinarily captured.”

So.. the 2403 approvals for last month doesn’t tell us what’s really going on.. or just how many they are getting through.. let’s hope!

FrozenTundra
United States of America

Post by FrozenTundra » Thu Nov 10, 2022 8:51 pm

sloanb wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:49 pm
FrozenTundra wrote:
It probably did in recent months, when staff were reallocated to passport processing, but I don't think that's so now. The spreadsheet posted by BlimeyOReilly (final post on page 233) shows that they've ramped up approvals from 822 in August, did 2,403 last month and are on track to do around 4,000 in November, so any backlog should now be starting to fall again. They're flying :D .

I'm a January 2022 docs received and I'm quietly confident that my wait will be less than 18 months. Hope I've not jinxed it. As you're docs received April 21 I expect you're not going to have too long to wait ~6 weeks? Be a nice Christmas present :wink:
That would be an amazing Christmas present if that happened! We're going to visit my wife's family in Ireland in the summer of 2023 so would be very cool for my son, who will be 2.5 years old then, to visit with an Irish passport :D

diana2015
Newly Registered
Ireland

Post by diana2015 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:59 am

Hello All,

Timeline for our daughters application -

Online application - 6 Oct 2020
Doc received confirmation email - 8 Dec 2020
Address verification email - 10 Nov 2022
FBR Confirmation -

Delighted to get the email last night..
Thanks to all members for keeping us updated with processing timelines.. :D

Paddywelshman
Newly Registered
Mood:
Wales

Post by Paddywelshman » Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:49 am

Update on my application

Application submitted: 20/03/20
Documents received: 29/04/20
clarification email: 04/10/22
Address confirmation: 04/11/22
Congratulations email: 10/11/22

Waiting for the cert to come - no tracking provided

ellen35743
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by ellen35743 » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:15 pm

Update on my application:

Received my FBR certification and my original documents returned.

Application date: 28 Sep 2020
Documents received: 9 Oct 2020
Address check: 27 Oct 2022
Congrats email: 4 Nov 2022
FBR cert received: 10 Nov 2022

Now on to passport application.