ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Citizen(BRITISH-Hungarian) travelling to India on Hungarian Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Dual Citizen(BRITISH-Hungarian) travelling to India on Hungarian Passport

Post by marcsiga » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:10 pm

Hi Everyone,

I need help. I did some research online but I just got more confused.
We have a plan to travel in February 2023 to India with my two kids. We all have BRITISH and Hungarian passports. To apply for a tourist visa It is more convenient for us to use our Hungarian passport as we can do that online.(India permits e-visa for Hungarian nationals but not British )
But on our way back to UK (as a Hungarian National)we will need ETA .But ETA is for tourist. We are settled in UK and we are British citizens also.
My question is is It okay for us -to leave UK and Enter India with our Hungarian passport with valid visitor visa in it and come back to UK showing our British Passport?

Also how can officers see that we did not overstayed in India if we would enter UK with our British passport?
Could any of you give me some advise if it’s okay to use both of the passport?

Appreciate all the time and effort,

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Dual Citizen(BRITISH-Hungarian) travelling to India on Hungarian Passport

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:55 pm

Show your British passport at the border and walk through .... no issue. British immigration wouldn't be interested if you overstayed elsewhere, as a British citizen. Many dual citizens use both passports, for convenience. Unless I have missed something. What is ETA?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:56 pm

marcsiga wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:10 pm
My question is is It okay for us -to leave UK and Enter India with our Hungarian passport with valid visitor visa in it and come back to UK showing our British Passport?
Yes, show both at British border and explain the situation. You'll be fine.
alterhase58 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:55 pm
What is ETA?
Electronic Travel Authorisation (system UK wants to implement in the future), which shouldn't be needed for them as they're British.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 7:11 pm

OK the equivalent of EU ETIAS ....
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Post by marcsiga » Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:29 am

Thank you for getting back to me for both of you.

We will carry both of our passports for sure.

My only worry if I leave UK on Hungarian passport and coming back with British. Will that not effect my tourist visa in the future if I want to apply? Will they not assume that I overstayed?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:47 am

marcsiga wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:29 am
Thank you for getting back to me for both of you.

We will carry both of our passports for sure.

My only worry if I leave UK on Hungarian passport and coming back with British. Will that not effect my tourist visa in the future if I want to apply? Will they not assume that I overstayed?
Who will assume you overstayed?
British immigration won't be checking how long you stayed in India, it's not what they're trained to do. Also, they know who you are, so British citizen comes and goes - nothing to worry about.
For Indian authorities you can leave India with Hungarian passport if they question your legality of stay here and show British as your ability to go to UK so airline knows they can let you on board.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

marcsiga
United Kingdom

Post by marcsiga » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:04 am

Dear MESELF2 ,
Thank you for your respond. You calmed my nerves down.
So just gonna apply online for e visa . ;-)
Thank u so much!!! You made my DAY!!