ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR HO does not consider NARIC as valid proof

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Nik87

ILR HO does not consider NARIC as valid proof

Post by Nik87 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:55 pm

Hi All,

My wife has applied for ILR after being on Tier 2 dependent visa on 15th May, 2022 and today she has received email from HO requesting additional documents.

She has submitted NARIC certificate which she used when she applied for dependent visa for the first time as NARIC certificates are valid for lifetime but HO thinks that that is not an adequate proof as they said:

English:
We note that you have submitted a statement of comparability from 2015 to prove English language, however this cannot be verified and is not adequate for proof of English.

while Ecctis (formerly known as NARIC) on their website say as below that all certificates issued by NARIC remains valid and HO is aware of this but still HO thinks that's not a valid proof what's the reason and what are my options in this case?

https://www.ecctis.com/transition/
Yes. All statements issued by UK NARIC remain valid.
Employers, education providers, the Home Office, CSCS schemes are aware of the changes and should not treat UK NARIC statements any differently from those issued by UK ENIC or Ecctis.
The people that receive your statement(s) can check them using the method referenced on the document, if needed

Thank you.
Your help will be much appreciated.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: ILR HO does not consider NARIC as valid proof

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:52 pm

Nik87 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:55 pm
Hi All,

My wife has applied for ILR after being on Tier 2 dependent visa on 15th May, 2022 and today she has received email from HO requesting additional documents.

She has submitted NARIC certificate which she used when she applied for dependent visa for the first time as NARIC certificates are valid for lifetime but HO thinks that that is not an adequate proof as they said:

English:
We note that you have submitted a statement of comparability from 2015 to prove English language, however this cannot be verified and is not adequate for proof of English.

while Ecctis (formerly known as NARIC) on their website say as below that all certificates issued by NARIC remains valid and HO is aware of this but still HO thinks that's not a valid proof what's the reason and what are my options in this case?

Employers, education providers, the Home Office, CSCS schemes are aware of the changes and should not treat UK NARIC statements any differently from those issued by UK ENIC or Ecctis.
The people that receive your statement(s) can check them using the method referenced on the document, if needed

Thank you.
Strange....at what Level did the said NARIC Comparability letter access her English language qualification?You may want to reply to the mail quoting the same things you highlighted above. And ask why is it insufficient and unverifiable particularly when it was successfully used in previous application to meet requirements.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:06 am

A tier 2 dependent was never required to meet the English language requirement. Even if you submitted it for her dependent visa back then, it would have been ignored anyway.

The first time a PBS dependent needs to meet the English requirement is for ilr.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:30 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:52 pm
Nik87 wrote:
Hi All,

English:

Thank you.
Strange....at what Level did the said NARIC Comparability letter access her English language qualification?You may want to reply to the mail quoting the same things you highlighted above. And ask why is it insufficient and unverifiable particularly when it was successfully used in previous application to meet requirements.
They literally have said:

English:

If you are wanting to get your degree verified by Ecctis, you can browse this link:

https://www.ecctis.com/visasandnationality

For alternate ways to prove English language, you can read Appendix English Language:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration ... h-language

so not much information. My wife has Masters degree in Economics. Can I argue on this and reply back to atlas email address? or i have to now get a new certificate from Ecctis? or based on previous certificate from NARIC, Ecctis can give new certificate?

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:39 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:06 am
A tier 2 dependent was never required to meet the English language requirement. Even if you submitted it for her dependent visa back then, it would have been ignored anyway.

The first time a PBS dependent needs to meet the English requirement is for ilr.
If I remember correctly it was a requirement when she applied initially to either have IELTS or have a NARIC certificate.

Even if it's ILR requirement, the NARIC should be able to fulfil that requirement shouldn't it be?

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:57 am

If I remember correctly it was a requirement when she applied initially to either have IELTS or have a NARIC certificate.
It was not. There has never been an English requirement for PBS dependent visas.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 am

CR001 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:57 am
It was not. There has never been an English requirement for PBS dependent visas.
ok thanks. Any suggestions on what options I have now?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:42 am

Nik87 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:07 am
CR001 wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:57 am
ok thanks. Any suggestions on what options I have now?
Easiest will be to go for the SELT at Level B1. Cost same as doing ECCTIS however SELT is most times faster.

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:03 pm

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:52 pm
Nik87 wrote:
Hi All,

English:

Thank you.
Is there a Home office email i can contact to ask them to clarify why NARIC certificate is not adequate? The email address i got the email from is not monitored.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:40 am

From 1st March 2021, the UK NARIC function is known as UK ENIC. The Statement of Compatibility is NOT adequate to prove the English language. This is why they had the Red and Blue routes. Only old NARIC obtained under the Red route can be used for Visas and Nationality Services :!:
If the degree is from a non-majority English country or from Canada you must check on the Visa and Nationality statement from Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC), which the applicant provides as evidence with their application, that the:

• degree is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s level degree or above
• qualification is academic, not technical or professional
• degree was taught in English

If the Visa and Nationality statement does not confirm that the degree meets all the
requirements you may contact the applicant and give them an opportunity to contact
Ecctis to obtain a revised statement which confirms the requirements are met. You
do not need to contact the applicant if you are refusing the application on other
grounds.

You must not accept a UK ENIC Statement of Compatibility as evidence of English ability as this is not confirmed on the statement.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rement.pdf
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:38 am

Finally received decision on my application and it's been successful :)

For anybody who will read this in future:
In the end we have to apply for new Ecctis certificate and provided that as proof of English. New Ecctis certificate was needed as HO requirements have slightly changed since we had the last NARIC certificate and now requires:
  • Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS)
  • English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) - If your degree is from a non-majority English-speaking country
Details here: https://www.gov.uk/english-language/degrees-in-english

The NARIC certificate we had was only for ELPS and pretty sure AQUALS wasn't required at that time.

Nik87

Post by Nik87 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:41 am

Zimba wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:40 am
From 1st March 2021, the UK NARIC function is known as UK ENIC. The Statement of Compatibility is NOT adequate to prove the English language. This is why they had the Red and Blue routes. Only old NARIC obtained under the Red route can be used for Visas and Nationality Services :!:
If the degree is from a non-majority English country or from Canada you must check on the Visa and Nationality statement from Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC), which the applicant provides as evidence with their application, that the:

• degree is equivalent to a UK bachelor’s level degree or above
• qualification is academic, not technical or professional
• degree was taught in English

If the Visa and Nationality statement does not confirm that the degree meets all the
requirements you may contact the applicant and give them an opportunity to contact
Ecctis to obtain a revised statement which confirms the requirements are met. You
do not need to contact the applicant if you are refusing the application on other
grounds.

You must not accept a UK ENIC Statement of Compatibility as evidence of English ability as this is not confirmed on the statement.
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... rement.pdf
Yes this was the case. Reading the HO requirements again made it clear. Thanks

maggi

Post by maggi » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:35 pm

Regarding these points:
1) an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) confirming the degree is equivalent to a UK qualification.
2) If your degree is from a non-majority English-speaking country you’ll also need an English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from Ecctis confirming the degree was taught in English.
Question is: what if AQUALS and ELPS were obtained from NARIC on first extension and now as its not NARIC anymore but ECCTIS, is the same old certificate from NARIC still valid for ILR?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:53 pm

maggi wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:35 pm
Regarding these points:
1) an Academic Qualification Level Statement (AQUALS) from Ecctis (formerly UK NARIC) confirming the degree is equivalent to a UK qualification.
2) If your degree is from a non-majority English-speaking country you’ll also need an English Language Proficiency Statement (ELPS) from Ecctis confirming the degree was taught in English.
Question is: what if AQUALS and ELPS were obtained from NARIC on first extension and now as its not NARIC anymore but ECCTIS, is the same old certificate from NARIC still valid for ILR?

Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.